So You Think You Can Dance? - Season 9!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kwanatic, May 24, 2012.

1. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Opening number is Sonya - Kelis- Scream, lovely costuming and I thought the camera work/ lighting was good. A nice number for three couples.

Cat is all mod and pretty today.

Cyrus gets the audience cheer vote again.

Cristina Applegate is a judge. She is so charming. I like the stars who come just because they love the dancing.

2. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Loyal rjblue providing pbp! :cheer2:

I'm not watching in real time (again) so any comments are greatly appreciated.

Oh and by the way, the last all star is
    Twitch again

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  3. rjblue

Tiffany, Benji (yay) and Jean-Marc (Canada!)

Benji is no longer skinny. What I like about You- Lillux(?)

I still lurve Benji and Tiffany was a perfectly perky choice to dance with him. Very happy happy dance.

Judges commenting on the energy of their Jive- because it never flagged and Tiffany kept up with Benji. (Was it Jive or Swing?)

Awww- Christina and Benji do dance class together.

4. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Loved that- nice to see Benji again. Very perky.

5. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Benji has grown up so much! It's great to see him. I kept thinking how much I missed Heidi......

6. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Man, I wanted Witney to dance with Benji. :( She's only had her genre once this whole season.

7. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Me too. And Tiffany acquitted herself well enough, but I kept wondering how it might have gone with a ballroom dancer.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  8. rjblue

Witney flaps her skirt around to Maleguena and calls it a solo. Very disappointing.

Cole and Melanie- Sonya wants Cole to be softer and uplifting as a change from creepy. This should be interesting. But he's dumping Melanie so how good can it be.

Too Close- Alex Claire I like this song.

Hmm. My husband was complaining about this the whole time which skewed my ability to see it. I think he thought some of Sonya's weird moves were mistakes. I might have to rewatch this.

9. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Well, my predictions tonight (totally unspoiled):

Final girls: Tiffany, Witney
    Going home: Eliana

Rationale: Tiffany got the pimp spot last week with a routine that was rather meh to me but got a great reception and she's been safe every week. Witney should get most of the Lindsay vote and Eliana had a quickstep.

Final guys: Cyrus, Cole
    Going home: Chehon

Rationale: Cyrus has been the fan favorite from the beginning. His solo last week probably really helped. Cole hit the bottom last week which means his fans went into overdrive voting for him. Chehon is the odd man out, even if he had his best week.

So if Tiffany was with Benji, I think that means that if they don't do any male/male or female/female duets, Cyrus is with
    Comfort
    , Chehon is with
    Kathryn
    , Eliana is with
    Twitch
    and Witney is with
    Marko

10. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Somehow, I never thought of "Please Mr Postman" as a hip hop song. But maybe that's just me? ;);)

11. rjblue

Chehon's solo is dark and dramatic and has some perfectly timed great tricks.

Eliana and Twitch- Hip hop with Chris Scott- Belly dancer meets hip hop dancer

Please Mr Postman- Marvelettes

This piece was very well danced. Eliana looked like she was having a ball with this. I didn't like the choreography. It was great and then it was boring, and then it was great. Just the wrong song and concept and not enough dancing.

Nigel just said the same thing.

12. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

IIRC, Chris Scott has had one successful duet and that was Misty Blue with Sasha and Twitch. Am I right?

I didn't like his other numbers, at least the ones I remember. His group numbers are good, though. Maybe he should just stick to that.

13. rjblue

Tiffany- Just the Way You Are- Darn- she got all the way to the end of the piece and then rolled on the floor.

Chehon, Kathryn- Tyce, and apparently all the grief in history?

I like Tyce's non-Broadway so I'm hopeful.

Eli, Eili, Sophie Milan

The parts where they were using their extension and dancing with all their limbs were lovely and moving. It kept getting interrupted by awkward moments like her standing on Chehon very unsteadily, and lifting the suitcase with her feet. I also hated her grey, concentration camp dress.

I should have loved it, but it missed for me. Mary is crying though.

14. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I am really torn this season, the top six are really good in their own way.. Chehon I'm leaning toward.. but I think they are all wonderful dancers

15. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Just watched the jive. I didn't like it much :shuffle:...

She's so going to win.

I also don't like Benji's new nose.

16. rjblue

Evil Cole is back for a Night of the Wolf solo. I just think of Elvis Stojko whenever I see his "style" of dance. And then I bleach my brain.

Marko gets to marry Witney. Who is the choreographer?

No Nothing- Curtis and Rein...

I liked the flowy, dancing choreography, and it was a good pairing. Marko partnered her so well.

I hated the orange stage and her cupcake dress. And Christina complained about Witney's hair and I agree.

17. rjblue

I hope not!

That's what it was; I couldn't figure it out.

Eliana's solo- Ooh- Death Cab for Cutie's "I Will Follow You into the Dark" It's on my MP3 player always. Generic solo with a smile didn't use the music.

Comfort and Cyrus dancing to dubstep- Chris Scott
    Cinema- Benni Benassi

Wow- so great to see Cyrus at his full potential and Comfort was amazing too. Crowd won't stop cheering. Fantastic.

I actually like Dubstep.

18. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I thought she did an amazing job on the jive.. new nose??? I knew something about him was different.. :lol:

Eliana is my favourite female though...

19. rjblue

Witney and Chehon- Jean Marc - Cha Cha

Witney should have this one in the bag, but can Chehon loosen up enough?

Where have you Been - Rihanna

I liked the choreo, and after the first few minutes I just gave up and watched Witney. He is just so stiff. And Mary starts out her critique with a groan.

Wow- Witney did NOT like it when Mary called her Lindsay.

Christina bailed on giving any critique so she must've know it was not good.

20. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Just watched Cole and Melanie and it was OK but I didn't get a connection between them. The Eliana and Twitch number was terrible. Horrible. Not good at all. Holy inconsistent choreography batman. What a bad number. Even Twitch looked bad in that.

It's right up there with the Cole/Lindsay "hip hop" number in terms of pure awfulness.

Tiffany's solo was incredibly junior-ish. Her extension is terrible, her toe point nonexistent and her leaps pretty bad.

I still say she's winning this.

21. rjblue

Cyrus's solo- Harem- Sarah Brightman- must've just been the intro part.
    That was great! I'm so happy to get to see him solo.

Eliana and Cole- Mia :) and lots of flinging about

Adagio for Strings

In simple black costumes.

Mia + Great dancers = perfection.

Cyrus and Comfort had the performance of the night, but this was the DANCE of the night. There was never a moment of that performance that took me out of a feeling of intense emotion.

Eliana must win

22. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I liked that. Eliana is fantastic. Cole is too.

So Cyrus gets the final spot in solos, partnering AND all star routine? (And final solo last week). I wonder who they want to win?

23. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm pretty certain that Cole danced beautifully, but all I could focus on was Eliana in that number. That may be my new favorite Mia Michaels piece. It is certainly one of the best routines in a rather lackluster season.

24. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I know. It's so annoying.

Just watched Kathryn and Chehon. I really liked it. I haven't watched the intro packages or the judges so I'm just going by the dancing. So far, this is the only dance I've liked tonight. :(

I liked Cole's solo.

25. rjblue

Yes.

Tiffany, Cyrus, Spencer Liff, Broadway- a '50's TV show

Treat me Rough

That was charming in a very naughty way. Cyrus is such a watchable performer. Cyrus is actually very secure appearing partner in all the lifts.

I would have ended the performances with Eliana and Cole though.

Wow- I start out watching The Axis Dance Company (?name) thinking I always feel guilty for thinking how awkward it is seeing someone dancing in a wheelchair, but then ended up very moved and amazed at how fluid and beautiful that was. A joy and a heartbreak at the same time.

26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Just watched Cyrus's solo, and I'm thinking that somewhere in the world a non-figure skating fan is hearing Harem and saying "what is that song? I've never heard it before".

27. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Liked that one too. Cute.

This has been a pretty good night. Only the Cha Cha and Eliana & Twitch's piece were misses for me , apart from Witney's solo and Tiffany's solo (which I have forgotten).

28. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I was very impressed by the wheelchair dance too. Amazingly graceful.

29. rjblue

Tiffany's in. :(
    Eliana's in Yayay yay. Eliana looked certain she was going!

30. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Tiffany being in the final is such a joke.