So You Think You Can Dance? - Season 9!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kwanatic, May 24, 2012.

1. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Chehon's solo is dark and dramatic and has some perfectly timed great tricks.

Eliana and Twitch- Hip hop with Chris Scott- Belly dancer meets hip hop dancer

Please Mr Postman- Marvelettes

This piece was very well danced. Eliana looked like she was having a ball with this. I didn't like the choreography. It was great and then it was boring, and then it was great. Just the wrong song and concept and not enough dancing.

Nigel just said the same thing.
  2. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

IIRC, Chris Scott has had one successful duet and that was Misty Blue with Sasha and Twitch. Am I right?

I didn't like his other numbers, at least the ones I remember. His group numbers are good, though. Maybe he should just stick to that.
  3. rjblue

Tiffany- Just the Way You Are- Darn- she got all the way to the end of the piece and then rolled on the floor.

Chehon, Kathryn- Tyce, and apparently all the grief in history?

I like Tyce's non-Broadway so I'm hopeful.

Eli, Eili, Sophie Milan

The parts where they were using their extension and dancing with all their limbs were lovely and moving. It kept getting interrupted by awkward moments like her standing on Chehon very unsteadily, and lifting the suitcase with her feet. I also hated her grey, concentration camp dress.

I should have loved it, but it missed for me. Mary is crying though.
  4. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I am really torn this season, the top six are really good in their own way.. Chehon I'm leaning toward.. but I think they are all wonderful dancers
  5. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Just watched the jive. I didn't like it much :shuffle:...

She's so going to win.

I also don't like Benji's new nose.
  6. rjblue

Evil Cole is back for a Night of the Wolf solo. I just think of Elvis Stojko whenever I see his "style" of dance. And then I bleach my brain.

Marko gets to marry Witney. Who is the choreographer?

No Nothing- Curtis and Rein...

I liked the flowy, dancing choreography, and it was a good pairing. Marko partnered her so well.

I hated the orange stage and her cupcake dress. And Christina complained about Witney's hair and I agree.
  7. rjblue

I hope not!

That's what it was; I couldn't figure it out.

Eliana's solo- Ooh- Death Cab for Cutie's "I Will Follow You into the Dark" It's on my MP3 player always. Generic solo with a smile didn't use the music.

Comfort and Cyrus dancing to dubstep- Chris Scott
    Cinema- Benni Benassi

Wow- so great to see Cyrus at his full potential and Comfort was amazing too. Crowd won't stop cheering. Fantastic.

I actually like Dubstep.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  8. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I thought she did an amazing job on the jive.. new nose??? I knew something about him was different.. :lol:

Eliana is my favourite female though...
  9. rjblue

Witney and Chehon- Jean Marc - Cha Cha

Witney should have this one in the bag, but can Chehon loosen up enough?

Where have you Been - Rihanna

I liked the choreo, and after the first few minutes I just gave up and watched Witney. He is just so stiff. And Mary starts out her critique with a groan.

Wow- Witney did NOT like it when Mary called her Lindsay.

Christina bailed on giving any critique so she must've know it was not good.
  10. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Just watched Cole and Melanie and it was OK but I didn't get a connection between them. The Eliana and Twitch number was terrible. Horrible. Not good at all. Holy inconsistent choreography batman. What a bad number. Even Twitch looked bad in that.

It's right up there with the Cole/Lindsay "hip hop" number in terms of pure awfulness.

Tiffany's solo was incredibly junior-ish. Her extension is terrible, her toe point nonexistent and her leaps pretty bad.

I still say she's winning this.
  11. rjblue

Cyrus's solo- Harem- Sarah Brightman- must've just been the intro part.
    That was great! I'm so happy to get to see him solo.

Eliana and Cole- Mia :) and lots of flinging about

Adagio for Strings

In simple black costumes.

Mia + Great dancers = perfection.

Cyrus and Comfort had the performance of the night, but this was the DANCE of the night. There was never a moment of that performance that took me out of a feeling of intense emotion.

Eliana must win
  12. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I liked that. Eliana is fantastic. Cole is too.

So Cyrus gets the final spot in solos, partnering AND all star routine? (And final solo last week). I wonder who they want to win?
  13. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain that Cole danced beautifully, but all I could focus on was Eliana in that number. That may be my new favorite Mia Michaels piece. It is certainly one of the best routines in a rather lackluster season.
  14. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I know. It's so annoying.

Just watched Kathryn and Chehon. I really liked it. I haven't watched the intro packages or the judges so I'm just going by the dancing. So far, this is the only dance I've liked tonight. :(

I liked Cole's solo.
  15. rjblue

Yes.

Tiffany, Cyrus, Spencer Liff, Broadway- a '50's TV show

Treat me Rough

That was charming in a very naughty way. Cyrus is such a watchable performer. Cyrus is actually very secure appearing partner in all the lifts.

I would have ended the performances with Eliana and Cole though.

Wow- I start out watching The Axis Dance Company (?name) thinking I always feel guilty for thinking how awkward it is seeing someone dancing in a wheelchair, but then ended up very moved and amazed at how fluid and beautiful that was. A joy and a heartbreak at the same time.
  16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Just watched Cyrus's solo, and I'm thinking that somewhere in the world a non-figure skating fan is hearing Harem and saying "what is that song? I've never heard it before".
  17. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Liked that one too. Cute.

This has been a pretty good night. Only the Cha Cha and Eliana & Twitch's piece were misses for me , apart from Witney's solo and Tiffany's solo (which I have forgotten).
  18. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I was very impressed by the wheelchair dance too. Amazingly graceful.
  19. rjblue

Tiffany's in. :(
    Eliana's in Yayay yay. Eliana looked certain she was going!
  20. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

Tiffany being in the final is such a joke.
  21. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

Sad for Witney, but at least Eliana is in the final.
  22. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

If Tiffany wins over Eliana...I just. No.
  23. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Agree. I can honestly say that of all the top 4 female dancers in this show's history she's the most forgettable one for me.
  24. rjblue

Chehon is in. And Cole looks like he knows he's a goner.
    Yep- Cyrus is in.

It's a bit of a shame because Cole so outdanced Chehon tonight. That's where results being given after the next week is disconcerting.

Someone remind us to watch on Tuesday next week!
  25. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

Tiffany obviously has a huge amount of voter support, so, unfortunately, I think it's a very big possibility...
  26. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Very happy for Chehon, at least. Pulling for he and Eliana but I have a feeling the utterly "undefeated" Cyrus and Tiffany are winning. Blergh. (And I like Cyrus in general, but I really feel like he shouldn't win this.)

I get Cyrus getting the votes, but where is Tiffany's fanbase? It's remarkable.
  27. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Cyrus has dance a lot of styles and only in the hip has he gotten to dance in styles but he hasn't had one great dance and maybe 3 good ones. His dance with Comfort was intriguing but it lacked maturity. Cyrus looks like a man but he dancing young even in hip hop imo. Not that he wasn't hitting hard and better than the other guys but he moves like he's new to the choreography and sometimes style. Which I know is true but I don't want to see it. I mind mistakes less than seeing the choreography. Especially in a dancer that is getting praised for his character. He puts everything he has to learning though and I'm proud of him. I can see his talent. If the other guys this season were richer in what they have brought to the show, I would be so that he made the final but he has a pretty similar strength/weakness ratio that other guys brings to my enjoyment of the show. It's all the same.

Cole has had a similar character every week. Pretty much every dance except for that geeky hip hop and the baseball showcase. And this week he pretty much had it twice. He has had some hard technical dances and some stand out dances. Last week was not one of them since that dance was pretty much all about the tension in Allison's body. It was a gorgeous dance but Cole was as bad as Ade-there to support his girl partner with little to do him self. I think he had two very demanding dances today and dance them both wonderful. There's nothing I need to see form him though. On tour he's going to dance one dance even if he's actually dancing 3 or more, they're going to feel the same...

Chehon makes the most awful faces But the tension in his body and the flight he can get is beyond breathtaking. Boy should never ever attempt to do ballroom. And don't bring up that Tango because it was as close to his style that the choreographer's could bring into a tango. no hip hop. Ok I admit it I just want to see him do ballet.

The Boys are a mess

Tiffany and Benji was super fun tonight. Still think she dances small (even smaller than Courtney G) but luckily for her Benji does not and can fill up the stage solo so with them dancing a part a lot of the time he was able to keep the dance entertaining. I wish that the dance was more in hold. I know Benji can do a whole dance in hold. I spent today watchin every dance I could find of his from the show and from the last few years. It felt more like a Broadway inspired Jive. I did like it though. Probably my favorite Tiffany dance of the season and the only Ballroom that I completely like. Oh right Chehon's ballet paso Tango.

Poor Witney only getting to do Ballroom with Chehon Poor girl I have seen way too many Contemporaries from her. A freaking waste is all I can say

I couldn't even watch Twitch tonight-Eliana demands attention even when she shouldn't Her dance with Cole was interesting though. It did remind me of a couple of Wade's dances though. And also the anger that Cole and she were showing each other felt like a rehearsal and not a show. I hate doing this but I can't help thinking what Allison would do in the piece since she danced with Cole and the dance had a similar feel to Allison's Mia dance Ethna
  28. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

How does voting work now? No voting tonight?
  29. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I think Cyrus and Chehon both have problems in the versatility department. However, Chehon is forced to dance and is actually critiqued while Cyrus is just not, in both areas.

That bothers me.

I wasn't that much into Cole during the season, but I much preferred him over Cyrus in the finale. I think he was poorly served by all the twisted characters he had to play in all the contemporary numbers he had to do. People couldn't connect to him and were bored.

I'm bracing for a Tiffany/Cyrus win.
  30. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I missed the beginning (and Benji's new nose :( ) due to Clinton's speech. Didn't take notes and spoiled myself for the results. Unsurprising, but disappointing on the ladiezz side.

Tyce's piece for Chehon and Kathryn was exquisite :swoon:

Wanted to love Eliana and Cole's Mia piece, but that Barber piece is SO evocative and SO well used in SO many, many modern dances that this didn't work for me. I'd have liked the dance better to different music.

Christina Applegate and Tyler Jesse Ferguson should be the only "celebrity" guest judges allowed on the show.

I barely remember Marko. I looked him up, and saw videos of him and Tadd, and I remembered Tadd....and I still barely remember Marko.

ETA: FLOVED that piece from Axis Dance! All of the works I've seen with able bodied/disabled dancers have been with women, and this was so visceral, so athletic, and just plain awesome.
  31. twinsmom

twinsmom Member

The guy in the wheelchair (Joel Brown) is from my little town and his 2 younger siblings are friends of my kids. I had no idea he was doing dance. Last thing I knew he was singing in a band. It was great to see him.

I so want Eliana to win - she is so fantastic. You all really think it will be Tiffany? I think maybe Cyrus, who I really like despite the fact that he's not the best dancer in other styles. He's so likeable.
  32. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Jeremy Ten tweeted,

Baffled by the #SYTYCD results! Cole!!! #Robbed​
  33. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Some of you seem to have so little faith in Eliana. I think she was only in the bottom once at the very beginning of the season (it's been such a long season with multiple breaks so I'm not sure), and yet every week someone predicts she's going home. Witney was in the bottom repeatedly. I knew she was the one going home last night and I say good. Her solo showed how totally immature she is as a dancer and her cha cha wasn't much better. If someone knew nothing about the competitors and watched it, they wouldn't have guessed Latin dance is her genre. She has the attitude, but her moves are not sophisticated.

On the other hand, I finally saw Tiffany last night. I thought she did a really nice job dancing with Benji in the jive/swing. Her solo was decent. She did well with Cyrus. It took her all season, but she finally stood out.

As for the guys, Cole ran out of gas two weeks ago. Maybe it was the injury. Not surprised he was eliminated especially since Cyrus is clearly the fan favorite and since the voting is based on last week's performances, Chehon carried huge momentum out of that Argentine tango.
  34. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

35. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

I've wondered that as well. My guess is that both her university and her national sorority are voting like mad for her. I suppose that many people making tons of calls and texts can make a difference. *shrug*

^^This. I wonder what kind of response she would have had if she had been given ballroom and partnered with the likes of Ryan or Benji. Hopefully they will bring her back as an all-star and then finally give her ballroom with a decent partner.

Eliana for the win! As far as the boys, I care not. I don't think either is all that good. The way they pimp Cyrus, I'm guessing his vote totals are so far above the others that he is a sure thing.
  36. pixie cut

If Witney had been partnered with Ryan it would have totally driven home how amateurish she is. She is absolutely not all-star material. If she danced side by side with Chelsie Hightower -- I don't even mean Chelsie today, I mean circa 2008 when she competed on SYTYCD -- it would drive home how young the quality of Witney's dancing is. It lacks sharpness. The only thing she has in abundance is blondness.
  37. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i have a ton of faith in eliana, i have no faith in my fellow americans
  38. pixie cut

Unless I've forgotten something, she's been safe every week except for the first elimination.

Whether Tiffany has some deep and vast voting base we'll know next week, but I never doubted that Eliana would be in the final. Especially given how many times Witney was in the bottom.
  39. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I was watching football and convention so I ff'ed around a bit after it was over. I only saw the group routine, Tiffany/Benji, Witney solo (meh), Cole/Melanie, and Eliana/Twitch (nice way to mask the fact that ballet girl probably can't do hip hop) -- then the results.

Tiffany is officially my Courtney Galliano plus. I just don't get it. But then again, apart from Eliana, so many of the girls faded from the first few weeks that I guess I shouldn't be surprised. She's always been the same, she didn't fade, but she never sparked for me. I'd have had Amelia, Audrey, Lindsay, and Witney stay longer than Tiffany. At least.

Well, I think Cyrus will win this thing. Not so sure about the girls. Tiffany seems to have an enormous phone bank at home.
  40. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Perhaps, but nevertheless, I wish we had had a chance to see this and judge for ourselves.