So You Think You Can Dance? - Season 9!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kwanatic, May 24, 2012.

1. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

If there's no results show this year, will we still get the Group Numbers? I loved the Group Numbers!

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

A couple of the "alternative" dances were interesting; although it remains to be seen how they will handle other styles/more traditional approaches.
    I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Swiss ballet dancer.

3. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I think you have to be 18 to audition-or at least I know you did in the past. Maybe they changed it this year? I haven't seen the show yet-tivo'd it. I'll probably watch it to night.

I am happy about the male/female winners because it was always abundantly clear which sex Lithgow wanted to win in any particular year, and he made no bones about it.

I will look forward to the show somewhat, but not with the enthusiasm of the past. It's become a competition contemporary-heavy show, and I'm just not a fan of "coupe, jete, kick yourself in the back of the head" dance. Sorry. I'm probably the only person in the world who didn't care for last year's winner. I was sad after week one when the tap and ballroom people got cut. I thought they were the two best dancers on the show.

I will not look forward to the gushing, gag-worthy guest judges.

But I will watch if just for the car wrecks. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I hope so- maybe we'll actually see some good ballroom and REAL contemporary!

4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

OK, I confess to zoning out in the some moments of the show and missed the announcement of no results show. If there are no results, then how do we find out who "got the boot"? I am soooooooooooo confused ... yet again. May I just say that I really liked the way the Canadian version did their results show -- the US version could take a few pages from it.

5. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I'm also one who usually hates all the "back stories" in the audition show, but that little girl was adorable and hilarious.

Both the zombie and Exorcist popping/breaker guys were entertaining. Particularly the latter. I wonder if he can do other styles, because he clearly had musicality and ability to make an emotional connection.

6. Holley Calmes

I think an awful lot of dancers are cross-trained these days. We've found out that even those hip hop dancers from previous seasons who were "discovered on the streets" had previous ballet/modern/jazz training.

7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I want me some Aussie!

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Twenties girl has performance personality, but her technique was none too sparkling. Just average.

First ballet boy might be interesting. Second one looked technically sound if a little Zzzz.

Not too many interesting contemporary dancers so far. Nothing really memorable.

LOVED Zombie and Exorcist, but I wonder what else they can do. Liked the other guy who kind of pop locked with some contemporary influence.

Boy whose mom tried to kill herself deserves a learning trip, but his technique isn't much to look at.

I also agree with the Hamster that they should feature more good dancers and fewer inspirational stories. The people with the inspirational stories should also be good dancers (like the little pop lock guy from years ago and the girl with the long legs whose body never grew - they were good). The mom was good enough to have this kind of feature. The kid was hilarious -- no problem with shyness, and she totally had a plan in her head for her dance.

Where are the ballroom dancers?

9. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I was :confused: about the huge response she got, but then I realized that the audience was extremely supportive and enthusiastic in general across all the dancers they showed.

10. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

By far, the standout person for me was the exorcist guy. The way they were promoting him along with zombie guy made me think he was going to be really scary...but I was really shocked by what he did with that performance. I found myself crying by the end of it. I can't even explain why but that was incredible...It was just raw emotion in a way that I've never seen before, especially from someone in that style. He took Mary down; she was close to bawling! Amazing audition from him. I agree with Nigel about not caring if he can dance any other style; just to witness that was amazing.

I thought the mom's story was nice and it's good to see that she is a really good dancer...the kids were adorable!

The first breaker (the one with the 9/11 street dancer story) was really good. I agree with Tice about how fluid his movements were. It's rare to see a breaker who is so smooth with all of the movements.

The Aussie was really hot and a beautiful dancer to boot...I enjoyed his audition.

I enjoyed the Autistic guy just because of the message it sends. The show is all about technical dancers and all of that, but it's also about a love of dancing. Though his dancing was a bit ridiculous looking, it's something that helps him express himself and he enjoys it. There are a ton of people who love to do things like that (dance, sing, skate, etc.) even though they aren't that great...they just enjoy it and there's nothing wrong with that. And they're right; it takes a lot of courage to get up on that stage in front of those people...so that's a good story that reaches out to people who may be in a similar situation when it comes to a disability. I can appreciate that.

I thought gerbil/hamster dude had a point but he was a total @$$ about it so I was happy to see him booed off...but it was the show who gave him the airtime so...

Overall, I was a little underwhelmed with the dancers. Hopefully there will be more standout dancers in the next auditions...

11. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

:shuffle: I guess that I'm the only one who thought the kids were annoying.

12. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

no, you arent alone. an awful lot of time was devoted to that filler.

13. RobbieB

RobbieB New Member

I missed last season do to work. Thankfully hours were changed, so now I can watch. Question, though, is Mary still a judge? Hopefully, not...never really liked her.

14. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I've only watched the New York segment so far. I thought the street performer with the amazing tricks shouldn't have gotten a straight trip to Vegas - who knows if he can do anything else? And I would have cut the guy whose mom tried to commit suicide. I didn't think he was very good at all & I seriously doubt whether he can do choreography. The 20's girl wasn't impressive either. OTOH Swiss Guy was amazing. He was my fav so far.

15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I liked '20s girl, but she was obviously told to emphasize that part of her personality, and if she gets into the top 20 (or however many they're doing this year - and I doubt she will), she will be completely pigeonholed. For that reason, I don't want her in the top 20.

The guy known for flipping had AMAZING musicality. For all the pre-hype, he didn't do that much flipping in his audition.

The mom...I usually hate that stuff and they spent way too much time on her damned kids (really? there weren't enough other interesting dancers to show?), but I loved her dancing. Watching her made me realize how much more interesting dancers over the age of 25 are. Would way rather watch a show of only 25+ dancers than all the teenagers and barely-20s we usually get.

The guy who was edited as the Jerk...pretty much said what many many many viewers have been saying online for years: STOP wasting time on people who obviously are not going through. I wonder if the interview with Cat was done after the audition, though, because in the interview he came across as really belligerent and pissed, and in the audition, he seemed taken aback at being questioned, and it did affect his dance (I do believe this - footage of him dancing outside in line looked pretty amazing, and his audition for the judges was underwhelming). I don't disagree with his not going through, but that segment reeked of edited exagerration.

Loved Swiss guy!

Not enough Cat :mad:

16. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

This..
    But other than him, I was underwhelmed with the ones they sent to Vegas.

17. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Hands off! Mine. :swoon:

18. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I really like her (but could have done with 1/2 the time spent on her kids). I do think a lot of the older dancers sometimes have a lot more depth to their dancing -- it's not just all about the technique.
    I thought that Nigel referred to his interview with Cat when he was giving his critique to the hamster/gerbil guy -- and called him out on his attitude in that, too.
    Too bad if he really was a much better dancer than his audition performance showed, but in his interview he was saying stuff like "I really don't like this show at all -- and I don't care if I don't make it" -- to which Cat asked, "Then why are you auditioning?" which I thought was a very good question. I don't know what his problem was, but perhaps he was being so negative/defensive as a sort of "sour grapes beforehand."
    He was one of my favorites last night.

19. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

He didn't specifically say anything about the interview with Cat - but there is clearly some form that the people fill out with info about them that the judges sometimes reference. Could be that he mentioned not liking how unqualified dancers often get air time (and the implication is that they get through to the judge round when many better dancers don't even get that far) as part of the initial interview.

Totally agree, and during the Cat interview I was like, why is this guy here, especially since he clearly showed up with a costume to make himself stand out...but his attitude in the actual audition was very different than the one in the interview. It just would make more sense if the audition happened first and then he got really pissed and was sullen in the interview.

Or he's just a jerk, but a jerk with a point.

20. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I actually thought Nigel did reference the interview with Cat -- but my memory isn't the best, so I could be wrong. Some of his (Kipper's) comments seemed like they would have made more sense BEFORE his audition, rather than after he failed to make the cut.
    Or, as Mary sort of suggested, that he just wanted to be on TV, and was acting the way he was to up the odds that they'd include some of his footage. In other words, 2012's version of "Sex" or whatever his name was from several seasons back.

21. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Missed it, darn it. Is there a youtube link to the exorcist guy and the swiss guy?

22. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

Didn't he audition a couple of seasons ago as well?

23. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

At the very end of the segment, Nigel said under his breath to the other judges that what the guy said to Cat was just vile. That made me think that the interview was definitely before the audition. And that he was deliberately baited during the audition.

24. Holley Calmes

Saw the show. By a long shot, the Exorcist was the best for me. I was in tears. I was in awe all the way through his dance. The best.

I liked the last guy too, who danced for his Mom who was going blind. He managed emotion and expression with decent technique and you could tell he had some training.

I liked the 20's girl for some odd reason. Just got through with a Jacqueline Windspear novel, so maybe that's why.

Didn't mind the kids-it was cute. That baby loved being onstage and that's half the battle.

Aussie and Swiss boys were handsome and buff but not all that technically. Yawn.

Thanks God not too many contemp gurlz.

Exorcist guy-the best!

25. nypanda

nypanda Well-Known Member

Nigel definitely said to Hamster guy "what you said to Cat out there was disgusting" (or something like that). I read this as -- we did not see the worst of the interview.

26. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

I agree, he was so expressive and I loved his performance. The song was actually "Look What You've Done" by a famous music artist, Drake. He's from Toronto and the song is believed to be about an ex, but yes, I think Leo (the dancer) was speaking, at least in part, to his relationship with his mother. I really like Drake's music, and would love to see more dancers use it. Some of his stuff lends itself well to lyrical hip hop and contemporary. "Take care" featuring Rihanna is a great track, that I am dying to see performed by a rhythmically adept dancer.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  27. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

28. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

BUMP! Jesse Tyler Ferguson! First repeat green mile dancer!

ETA: This poor Whacking kid. He picked the wrong guess judge for this :rofl: Love his attitude--he's very good natured when he'd have every reason to be a bit put off.

I don't know if he can actually "whack" but they should have him choreograph the disco routines instead of Doriana Sanchez.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  29. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

If this girl doesn't make it on the show, I will :lynch: and :wuzrobbed and stamp my tiny little foot and pretend it's on Nigel's head.

She has REAL talent--not sure why she's auditioninig for this show. :lol: Surely, she's above this. But I'm glad I got to see her dance. So beautiful and underplayed. AND she does pole dancing!! :grope:

Why is she not an ice dancer?

30. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I thought the Whacking kid was very good natured too, and his whacking was better than I expected.

Wow- the pole dancer girl gets the early lead in our house. That was lovely.