So You Think You Can Dance? - Season 9!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kwanatic, May 24, 2012.

1. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I've never been a fan of all of the singing shows that continually pop up every season. I think I watched half of the first season of American Idol and that was it. I did watch a bit of Dancing With the Stars but seeing a lot of non-dancer dance badly made me laugh sometimes, but most of the time bored me.:rolleyes:

I love dance shows though, and that's why I'm happy SYTYCD is back! I really enjoyed last season. Melanie and Sasha were my favs and they finished 1-2. This season, however, they've put a twist on it. Instead of one person winning, they'll have two: one boy, one girl. I think that's pretty fair. I know in the season with Joshua and Katie, Joshua won overall but Katie got $50K for being the top girl of the season. I wonder if they did that the following season with Brandon and Jeanine? I can't remember hearing anything about it...

Anyhoo, I'm excited! 2-hours of auditions tonight...can't wait! :rollin:
  2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

No, they only did it in S4, and it wasn't known ahead of time that it was going to happen. I was happy for Katee, but it was rather lame. Don't care for splitting the win between favorite male and favorite female, either :blah: The show already plays way too heavily into gender roles...they've made improvements in the last couple seasons but this is a step backwards.

I wonder how many more season SYTYCD will have...seems like they are scrambling a bit with the tweaks to this season (also eliminating the results show).
  3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Eliminating the results show is a wonderful idea and I wish more competition shows would do this too. The problem is that even though the ratings are down for a lot of the competition shows, they still do well and don't cost much to produce so we get an abundance of fluffy results shows with little content.
  4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm a-ok with eliminating the dance-for-your-life aspect, as it clearly had little to do with the judges' decisions, and most of the music guests, but I did like that they brought real dance companies onto a popular national show.

I guess I would have preferred a half hour results show that includes ONLY the reveal of the B3, a guest dance group, and the elimination. Maybe one highlight from the previous night. But I'm fine with folding the eliminations into the regular show too.
  5. slicekw

slicekw Poster of Pet Vines

6. slicekw

I've missed our girl Cat!
  7. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I hate Twenties Girl already.
  8. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

her palms were orange
  9. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I agree. No one should be that perky and dramatic at the same time.
  10. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I'll miss the SYTYCD results show. They had some great acts, dance companies, and group numbers I'd otherwise not have seen. I don't like the results show in other reality shows (AI, etc) but did like the SYTYCD show.
  11. slicekw

This guy has amazing flow.
  12. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I'm already laughing with (at?) wiggle boy.

ETA: o.m.g. this is worse than i imagined.
  13. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Why do they show people like Austin?
  14. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

ouch, Mary.
  15. slicekw

if this is what Cat meant by matching different styles of dance with music from another genre, I am all for this!
  16. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a male winner and female winner, just because Lythgoe's machinations have so obviously wanted a specific type of female dancer, and my :sekret: is that they've deliberately picked weaker male dancers to get that result.

20 girl's performance reminded me of a critique of some dancer from DWTS--I think it was Carrie Anne about Bristol Palin--that she made pretty pictures of poses, but not much else. There wasn't dancing between the poses.

I give her credit for fully committing to a certain look, but for that dance to work, she had to be a lot more loose and whimsical in her movements, and she was too controlled. All of her personality was in her haircut.

I figure she'll be out on the first day, third day tops. I doubt she can do much else. I think Japanese guy could probably do a lot, but I don't know if he can understand English well enough to get the choreography.

Good gods, do we have a new Sex? :yikes:
  17. PrincessLeppard

What the eff was guy in the red shirt's "music"? :yikes: I don't even know if he danced well ( well, he's going to Vegas, so....) because I couldn't get past the ..... whatever that was.
  18. slicekw

The amazing thing was how expressively his body told the story with the words. I have a feeling it was him doing the voice and it was the story of him and his mom, but that's just a guess.
  19. Matryeshka

Damn. What is it with the Swiss and their spinning ability? Clearly, I need to eat more Swiss chocolate.
  20. PrincessLeppard

If that's all it takes, I should be able to spin like a damn top. :p
  21. Matryeshka

Awwww. I normally hate this kind of crap, but I think that was genuinely sweet.

I can't believe she's 29 and can still do a quality ariel. I also like that she's only milking it a little. I'd totally vote for her daughter. :shuffle: The poses with the looking back was :rofl:

Already tired of "new" dances.
  22. PrincessLeppard

I usually hate cute kids, too, but that was kind of funny. When you can audition for this show? 16? So we'll see her in 14 years and they'll replay that footage? ;)
  23. Matryeshka

Awww, it's a zombie for PL. And his hair is almost long enough to be cut into a mullet :p
  24. PrincessLeppard

I missed it. Dammit. In the hall playing fetch with Peanut. Again.

ETA: We're going to hear this song eleventy billion times, aren't we?
  25. Matryeshka

I hate Evanessence. Season 9 is going to be a rough one for me. OTOH, we've only had two contemporary, rollling on the floor auditions, and only one was :eyerolling: I'd say that's a fair exchange.

While not necessarily in the actual competition, I tend to enjoy the hip-hop/breaker auditions more than the other types of dancing. Lots of creativity, new ways of moving that I could not imagine was physically possible.
  26. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i must have missed something other than his awful dancing, how did blue sweatshirt get a standing ovation?
  27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I was all set to be annoyed for them exploiting that last dancer, but there was something really sweet and nice about that. They were actually very respectful of him as a person and managed to make a positive experience out of the audition.
  28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

He started out talking about how he was at a school for people with the autistic spectrum and that he had to fight against being a social wallflower. He came across as a very sweet guy who enjoyed dancing.
  29. Matryeshka

I kind of agree with Hamster Dude on the autistic guy. I would rather see great auditions than exploiting those suffering from autism in order to give the impression of a kinder, gentler Nigel and Co.

Good job to Lil C for *trying* to make it professional, and Mary as well. Then of course Nigel drags it back down.

Neither of them should have been shown.
  30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

This, I was sort of liking the Ocean Guy, but then with this guy following on and building on him, it all seemed too calculated and exploitive.
  31. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

If there's no results show this year, will we still get the Group Numbers? I loved the Group Numbers!
  32. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

A couple of the "alternative" dances were interesting; although it remains to be seen how they will handle other styles/more traditional approaches.
    I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Swiss ballet dancer.
  33. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I think you have to be 18 to audition-or at least I know you did in the past. Maybe they changed it this year? I haven't seen the show yet-tivo'd it. I'll probably watch it to night.

I am happy about the male/female winners because it was always abundantly clear which sex Lithgow wanted to win in any particular year, and he made no bones about it.

I will look forward to the show somewhat, but not with the enthusiasm of the past. It's become a competition contemporary-heavy show, and I'm just not a fan of "coupe, jete, kick yourself in the back of the head" dance. Sorry. I'm probably the only person in the world who didn't care for last year's winner. I was sad after week one when the tap and ballroom people got cut. I thought they were the two best dancers on the show.

I will not look forward to the gushing, gag-worthy guest judges.

But I will watch if just for the car wrecks. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I hope so- maybe we'll actually see some good ballroom and REAL contemporary!
  34. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

OK, I confess to zoning out in the some moments of the show and missed the announcement of no results show. If there are no results, then how do we find out who "got the boot"? I am soooooooooooo confused ... yet again. May I just say that I really liked the way the Canadian version did their results show -- the US version could take a few pages from it.
  35. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I'm also one who usually hates all the "back stories" in the audition show, but that little girl was adorable and hilarious.

Both the zombie and Exorcist popping/breaker guys were entertaining. Particularly the latter. I wonder if he can do other styles, because he clearly had musicality and ability to make an emotional connection.
  36. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I think an awful lot of dancers are cross-trained these days. We've found out that even those hip hop dancers from previous seasons who were "discovered on the streets" had previous ballet/modern/jazz training.
  37. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I want me some Aussie!
  38. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Twenties girl has performance personality, but her technique was none too sparkling. Just average.

First ballet boy might be interesting. Second one looked technically sound if a little Zzzz.

Not too many interesting contemporary dancers so far. Nothing really memorable.

LOVED Zombie and Exorcist, but I wonder what else they can do. Liked the other guy who kind of pop locked with some contemporary influence.

Boy whose mom tried to kill herself deserves a learning trip, but his technique isn't much to look at.

I also agree with the Hamster that they should feature more good dancers and fewer inspirational stories. The people with the inspirational stories should also be good dancers (like the little pop lock guy from years ago and the girl with the long legs whose body never grew - they were good). The mom was good enough to have this kind of feature. The kid was hilarious -- no problem with shyness, and she totally had a plan in her head for her dance.

Where are the ballroom dancers?
  39. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I was :confused: about the huge response she got, but then I realized that the audience was extremely supportive and enthusiastic in general across all the dancers they showed.
  40. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

By far, the standout person for me was the exorcist guy. The way they were promoting him along with zombie guy made me think he was going to be really scary...but I was really shocked by what he did with that performance. I found myself crying by the end of it. I can't even explain why but that was incredible...It was just raw emotion in a way that I've never seen before, especially from someone in that style. He took Mary down; she was close to bawling! Amazing audition from him. I agree with Nigel about not caring if he can dance any other style; just to witness that was amazing.

I thought the mom's story was nice and it's good to see that she is a really good dancer...the kids were adorable!

The first breaker (the one with the 9/11 street dancer story) was really good. I agree with Tice about how fluid his movements were. It's rare to see a breaker who is so smooth with all of the movements.

The Aussie was really hot and a beautiful dancer to boot...I enjoyed his audition.

I enjoyed the Autistic guy just because of the message it sends. The show is all about technical dancers and all of that, but it's also about a love of dancing. Though his dancing was a bit ridiculous looking, it's something that helps him express himself and he enjoys it. There are a ton of people who love to do things like that (dance, sing, skate, etc.) even though they aren't that great...they just enjoy it and there's nothing wrong with that. And they're right; it takes a lot of courage to get up on that stage in front of those people...so that's a good story that reaches out to people who may be in a similar situation when it comes to a disability. I can appreciate that.

I thought gerbil/hamster dude had a point but he was a total @$$ about it so I was happy to see him booed off...but it was the show who gave him the airtime so...

Overall, I was a little underwhelmed with the dancers. Hopefully there will be more standout dancers in the next auditions...