So You Think You Can Dance? - Season 9!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by kwanatic, May 24, 2012.

1. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I've never been a fan of all of the singing shows that continually pop up every season. I think I watched half of the first season of American Idol and that was it. I did watch a bit of Dancing With the Stars but seeing a lot of non-dancer dance badly made me laugh sometimes, but most of the time bored me.:rolleyes:

I love dance shows though, and that's why I'm happy SYTYCD is back! I really enjoyed last season. Melanie and Sasha were my favs and they finished 1-2. This season, however, they've put a twist on it. Instead of one person winning, they'll have two: one boy, one girl. I think that's pretty fair. I know in the season with Joshua and Katie, Joshua won overall but Katie got $50K for being the top girl of the season. I wonder if they did that the following season with Brandon and Jeanine? I can't remember hearing anything about it...

Anyhoo, I'm excited! 2-hours of auditions tonight...can't wait! :rollin:

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

No, they only did it in S4, and it wasn't known ahead of time that it was going to happen. I was happy for Katee, but it was rather lame. Don't care for splitting the win between favorite male and favorite female, either :blah: The show already plays way too heavily into gender roles...they've made improvements in the last couple seasons but this is a step backwards.

I wonder how many more season SYTYCD will have...seems like they are scrambling a bit with the tweaks to this season (also eliminating the results show).

3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Eliminating the results show is a wonderful idea and I wish more competition shows would do this too. The problem is that even though the ratings are down for a lot of the competition shows, they still do well and don't cost much to produce so we get an abundance of fluffy results shows with little content.

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm a-ok with eliminating the dance-for-your-life aspect, as it clearly had little to do with the judges' decisions, and most of the music guests, but I did like that they brought real dance companies onto a popular national show.

I guess I would have preferred a half hour results show that includes ONLY the reveal of the B3, a guest dance group, and the elimination. Maybe one highlight from the previous night. But I'm fine with folding the eliminations into the regular show too.

5. slicekw

slicekw #FixingTheInternet

Bump!

6. slicekw

I've missed our girl Cat!

7. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I hate Twenties Girl already.

8. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

her palms were orange

9. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I agree. No one should be that perky and dramatic at the same time.

10. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I'll miss the SYTYCD results show. They had some great acts, dance companies, and group numbers I'd otherwise not have seen. I don't like the results show in other reality shows (AI, etc) but did like the SYTYCD show.

11. slicekw

This guy has amazing flow.

12. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I'm already laughing with (at?) wiggle boy.

ETA: o.m.g. this is worse than i imagined.

13. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Why do they show people like Austin?

14. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

ouch, Mary.

15. slicekw

if this is what Cat meant by matching different styles of dance with music from another genre, I am all for this!

16. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a male winner and female winner, just because Lythgoe's machinations have so obviously wanted a specific type of female dancer, and my :sekret: is that they've deliberately picked weaker male dancers to get that result.

20 girl's performance reminded me of a critique of some dancer from DWTS--I think it was Carrie Anne about Bristol Palin--that she made pretty pictures of poses, but not much else. There wasn't dancing between the poses.

I give her credit for fully committing to a certain look, but for that dance to work, she had to be a lot more loose and whimsical in her movements, and she was too controlled. All of her personality was in her haircut.

I figure she'll be out on the first day, third day tops. I doubt she can do much else. I think Japanese guy could probably do a lot, but I don't know if he can understand English well enough to get the choreography.

Good gods, do we have a new Sex? :yikes:

17. PrincessLeppard

What the eff was guy in the red shirt's "music"? :yikes: I don't even know if he danced well ( well, he's going to Vegas, so....) because I couldn't get past the ..... whatever that was.

18. slicekw

The amazing thing was how expressively his body told the story with the words. I have a feeling it was him doing the voice and it was the story of him and his mom, but that's just a guess.

19. Matryeshka

Damn. What is it with the Swiss and their spinning ability? Clearly, I need to eat more Swiss chocolate.

20. PrincessLeppard

If that's all it takes, I should be able to spin like a damn top. :p

21. Matryeshka

Awwww. I normally hate this kind of crap, but I think that was genuinely sweet.

I can't believe she's 29 and can still do a quality ariel. I also like that she's only milking it a little. I'd totally vote for her daughter. :shuffle: The poses with the looking back was :rofl:

Already tired of "new" dances.

22. PrincessLeppard

I usually hate cute kids, too, but that was kind of funny. When you can audition for this show? 16? So we'll see her in 14 years and they'll replay that footage? ;)

23. Matryeshka

Awww, it's a zombie for PL. And his hair is almost long enough to be cut into a mullet :p

24. PrincessLeppard

I missed it. Dammit. In the hall playing fetch with Peanut. Again.

ETA: We're going to hear this song eleventy billion times, aren't we?

25. Matryeshka

I hate Evanessence. Season 9 is going to be a rough one for me. OTOH, we've only had two contemporary, rollling on the floor auditions, and only one was :eyerolling: I'd say that's a fair exchange.

While not necessarily in the actual competition, I tend to enjoy the hip-hop/breaker auditions more than the other types of dancing. Lots of creativity, new ways of moving that I could not imagine was physically possible.

26. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i must have missed something other than his awful dancing, how did blue sweatshirt get a standing ovation?

27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I was all set to be annoyed for them exploiting that last dancer, but there was something really sweet and nice about that. They were actually very respectful of him as a person and managed to make a positive experience out of the audition.

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

He started out talking about how he was at a school for people with the autistic spectrum and that he had to fight against being a social wallflower. He came across as a very sweet guy who enjoyed dancing.

29. Matryeshka

I kind of agree with Hamster Dude on the autistic guy. I would rather see great auditions than exploiting those suffering from autism in order to give the impression of a kinder, gentler Nigel and Co.

Good job to Lil C for *trying* to make it professional, and Mary as well. Then of course Nigel drags it back down.

Neither of them should have been shown.

30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

This, I was sort of liking the Ocean Guy, but then with this guy following on and building on him, it all seemed too calculated and exploitive.