So You Think You Can Dance CANADA

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 11, 2010.

1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

It begins on Sunday (August 15th) at 9pm on CTV.

The second episode is on Monday at 9pm. Third episode - Tuesday at 8:00. Then it's on Wednesday at 9pm. And Thursday at 9pm.

But only five episodes this week. Maybe we'll get more than only five episodes per week in the future... ;) and/or :confused: (Take your pick!) :rofl:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Thanks for the heads up on the scheduling. I was looking for it to start on Wednesday.

For once, I'm happy to have my husband head off on a business trip. A whole week of dance would drive him round the bend.

4. dramagrrl

dramagrrl Active Member

Without Sandhu, there is no point. :(

5. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:lol: I somewhat agree. I'm wondering if I should start watching this season. I still haven't caught up on watching the last three episodes of the US version!

I might wait to the very last minute to decide. Maybe I'll check out this thread before 8pm and see if any East Coaster's are raving about certain dancers and that I just have to tune in to watch! :D

It seems early for the Canuck version to start...guess they want to hook viewers before new or returning shows take away some of their thunder.

6. shells

shells New Member

When I was in training for this job I met someone who works for the same company as me who tried out last year and almost made the top 20. I figure I'll watch and see if she tries out again this year.

7. rjblue

Copying this from the thread I started (forgot about this one):
    Former figure skater Jonathan Roumain -going to the finals- anyone know him?

A friend of my daughter's almost made it on the show. He is an amazing dancer, but I think his flamboyant presence on the internet caused the producers to keep him off.

8. shells

shells New Member

I got concerned that I was missing it. We must be in different time zones.

9. shells

shells New Member

Leah Miller drives me nuts, surely there's someone better in the country that could host this?

10. shells

shells New Member

This Jenna girl seems more like a gymnast than a dancer to me. She's trying to be musical, I just don't feel it.

11. shells

shells New Member

I like this hip hop guy, Rodrigo (sp?)

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  12. rjblue

He was good, but I think Shavar took more from the ballet than he did.

Leah is very hard to take after the fabulous Cat. She tries so hard to have the same kind of natural warmth that works so well with Cat, but she is much younger and fluffier in personality, and needs to pull back some, I think.

I missed the last 40 min of the show.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

The first hour isn't over yet, and I'm already glad I tuned in... Rodrigo and then Alvin. WOW. :respec:

14. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

No Alex :( Boooooooh.

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

What about Patricia in hour two?

16. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

There probably is someone better than Leah, but no one would ever be as good as Cat.

17. shells

shells New Member

I'd be ok with that. I just want Leah off my screen.

18. rjblue

Jo- the hip hop en pointe girl was really cute and entertaining. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her.

19. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

Go Cape Breton!

20. rjblue

Why are they adding so much applause from a nonexistent audience?

21. shells

shells New Member

I think the other auditioners sit and watch, don't they? (of course I am not seeing what you are because it doesn't start for 5 minutes for me)

22. shells

shells New Member

Wow, this first guy is bad.

23. venja

venja New Member

Dan Karaty, wow a blast from the past. Did he have anything to do with US SYTYCD in the past couple of seasons? Was he just reduced a la Mary? I'll take him as judge over Luther 10 times out of 10.

I thought I'd give Leah a chance this season, but as soon as she opened her mouth I cringed. Why does she look different all the time?

24. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I'll give this for Leah, she did do boot camp this season, and she's the only one out of all the hosts of the SYTYCD franchise that's done it.

Other than that...She also annoys me to the point where it makes the show unwatchable for me. I really need to ask my Niece next time we're talking why Leah's the host.

25. shells

shells New Member

Yes, Leah won some points with me tonight by doing boot camp.

26. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

So was the first hour much better than the second? Or did I just get distracted by the tasks I was trying to get done around the apartment? :confused:

My favourite of tonight was Edgar, the hip-hop guy with the great smile. He seemed to have both a great style as well as good content.

I liked Julia and Rufino, the ballroom pair, but preferred Julia over Rufino.

Caitlen (Carlen?) Britch (hip-hop) was a lot of fun and is a natural entertainer.

And I liked two of the earliest dancers shows, both combinened hip-hop and ballet. Jill was first and then Jera. Watching Jill, my thought was, "if I was a choreographer, I'd want to work with her! Jera did a great job of mixing the two different styles into one audition piece.

Who's read for three more nights of audtions? :lol:

27. shells

shells New Member

I'm going to miss tonight and thursday, but that's ok. The auditions are my least favourite part of the process anyway. Too much fluff, not enough dancing to watch.

28. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Any thoughts about tonight from people smarter than me?

My thought: 5 nights in one week is overkill. I did like seeing Mary tonight.

29. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I liked a number of the performances tonight, but nothing really stood out to me compared to previous auditions. (This coming from a person probably less smart than you, though! :D)

Five is certainly a lot! I believe next week the top 20 perform on Monday night and Tuesday is the results show. So in the second week, we already have eliminations. (Talk about moving things along quickly!)

Mary is a lot more enjoyable without the shreiking. I know that's her thing, and it's kinda fun, but it's more irritable... :(

30. rjblue

They are showing some good ballroom dancers tonight. Stephan and Yonni (some of you might like him shirtless) both impressed me.

They are showing a lot of tension between Luther and Jean-Marc on the panel.

30 min in, it's my favourite audition show so far.

eta- Add Denys to the ballroom list. He did a solo Paso Doble/Contemporary that the whole panel loved. Mia said he was like Nureyev!

And- Mia calls a contemporary dancer called Sebastien "A Gift". Jean-Marc practically promised him top 20.

And we get to see Mike Keene- an Irish dancer. He was really good at it, but it was irritating when the camera work cut off his legs. I love Irish dance, so I loved it, and I'm glad they put him through to the finals.

Simon does a great hip-hop.

Another figure skater- Olga Zadvornova from Latvia, was at Calgary Worlds in '06.

Montreal is the best Audition city.

After 90 min of this show- I'm going to be disappointed if the top 20 doesn't have quite a few ballroom dancers. They've shown a lot of variety of dancers tonight, so they should have enought talent that we don't end up with all contemporary dancers.

And- I'm glad they gave us a marathon of auditions this week. We got the introductory part overwith quickly. Tomorrow night we can start picking our favourite contestants.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010