So, what is the biggest "surprise" after taking up the sport again?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by vickko, Mar 17, 2014.

1. vickko

vickko New Member

I'm finding:

1) stretch, stretch, and prepare off-ice.
    I do not want to be hindered by an injury, sprain or pull, that I could have avoided if I prepared correctly or properly.

2) much more conscious intention
    Maybe not good to think too much about a move/jump, and it is hindering my prior tendency to "oh, just go for it". But now, since I haven't got a coach (yet?), I'm having to remind myself of how something is supposed to be. Certainly when something isn't feeling right.

3) I think I miss figures. Maybe a bit.
    I'm finding that if my body isn't standing correctly, going into a corner and working on it as a figure, really helps.
    When I first skated, sessions began with 50 minutes of figures, and it must have worked as a really good "body alignment warmup"

4) takes longer to warm up "on ice".
    I think this is my current challenge, to find an efficiency warmup routine, so that I can get on with working on more complicated things.

The Accordion likes this.
  2. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

How expensive it is.

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I didn't skate as a kid, so I have nothing to compare it to!

4. fan

fan Active Member

Lutes. I cannot get the counter rotation for the life go me.

Skatingisfun1 likes this.
  5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Where did the back threes go? I had them once...

6. treesprite

treesprite Member

Biggest surprise for me is how long it is taking to re-learn things. The first time I returned to skating, I was doing all sorts of things within just a few months after having not skated for 17 years. This time is completely different and my skating goes up and down so progress is exceedingly slow.

7. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

1. I am more motivated now
    2. I am more afraid of falling than I used to be
    3. I love it more
    4. I am worse than ever at spins :)

8. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I started skating again about two months ago after being off for five years. It's been surprisingly hard to relearn things. I am a lot more fearful of falling, and that's preventing me from trying things. I had to get new boots because my old ones were so painful. The new ones have a heel that is 1/4" higher than my old boots and that still feels strange to me. Also, I'm now down 81 lbs. since I stopped skating, and I'm still trying to get used to my new center of balance.

When I first came back, I could barely stroke without feeling as though I was about to face plant. Now I still have moments of feeling I'm off balance when I first step on the ice, but it's getting better. I spend a lot of time working on edges. I haven't yet tried to jump or spin but hope to try soon. On Thursday, I finally got my blades permanently mounted and had planned to try waltz jumps yesterday, but the session was overrun with out-of-control boys on hockey skates who were skating as fast as they could but didn't know how to stop. I left early because I was afraid of being knocked down.

9. ronniev

ronniev New Member

surprises--how much deeper knee bends improves the jumps and how important a straight back is to EVERYTHING in skating :)

clairecloutier likes this.
  10. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

Figures are THE BEST warm-up. I so, so miss them! I used to work up a pretty good sweat doing patch. This leads to your 4th point: it probably takes longer to warm up because you're no longer doing patch before freestyle. I have started doing informal figures for a warmup these days--just a few. It helps. Try it, even if it's a few loops in the corner.

11. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

1/I get way more dizzy spinning.
    2/The effects of falls are much longer lasting - and so I agree with everyone else about being scared of them. However, the worst falls come when unexpected most of the time and not when trying harder things when I am prepared to fall. Worst fall = the end section of the Paso and tripped and went flying with my body going one way and my shoulder another!
    3/I love it as much as ever!

clairecloutier likes this.
  12. Skatingisfun1

Skatingisfun1 New Member

It's all up in my head.

I had my lutz jump as a kid, and had it six months ago as an adult. I lost it, and can't find it. It's like "skating alzheimers" sometimes.

But, my flip-loop combination came back to me almost instantly, within 3 tries.

I am not liking moves in the field. While I hated patch as a kid as much as any other, I want my patch back. It was my patch, and no one could come across it at high speeds while I was learning how to do brackets. My patch was my cocoon.

The point system. Now, I have to do brackets on a straight of way, into a forward loop, then toe runs? Really, on a bronze level program? Wow. And, I can't really show off much of my beautiful stroking and three turns? Oh, and I have to do hoppy jumps to get points, like a waltz, salchow, toe loop, instead of a beautiful, flowing & high waltz jump.