so what does your local groundhog say?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Nova Scotia’s Shubenacadie Sam and Ontario’s Wiarton Willie both failed to see their shadows this morning. Punxsutawney Phil however did see his.

No local groundhog prognotication here in Vancouver -- this corner of the province is not their habitat. But that didn't stop the local CBC radio station blasting me with "I Got You Babe" when my alarm went off this morning. :lol: And it reminded me that I haven't watched the movie for several years. I've got nothing else on tonight, perhaps I dig out the DVD.

2. RobbieB

RobbieB New Member

regardless of whether he saw his shadow or not...it's in the high 50's down here. And since it's been like that or even into the 60's most all January, I'm gonna guess that Mother Nature has given us spring a little early this year. (Hope I didn't jinx it!)

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

We are still waiting for winter to arrive. It was 23 degrees this morning when I went out to my car (toasty for February), and we expect 40 this afternoon.

We've had a few small snowfalls, but I don't think we've been below 0 yet.

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

The sharks here say early spring - the manatees say more winter. Toss up. :D

5. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I have early snowdrops and crocus up in my yard, plus daffodils starting.

7. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Potomac Phil predicted "more" winter (we haven't had any yet, how can we have more!) and nine more months of gridlock in Congress. This was his first groundhog's day making predictions, although he didn't see anything, cause he's stuffed.

8. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Potomac Phil predicted "more" winter (we haven't had any yet, how can we have more!) and nine more months of gridlock in Congress. This was his first groundhog's day making predictions, although he didn't see anything, cause he's stuffed.

9. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Beautiful sunny day here in Arkansas. January has been like another October. Daffodils blooming, trees budding. Bad winter--for us--last year, followed by killer tornado spring, then a miserable summer. Maybe this is our reward for enduring. Can't say I don't love what we're getting now, but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. And I really don't want to start mowing my yard any sooner that I absolutely have to. :)

10. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Old timers say we had spoons in the persimmon seeds, which is supposed to mean a bad winter, but it hasn't happened so far.

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

12. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Total fog this morning -- visibility was near nil. Local ground hogs couldn't have seen the ground, much less their shadows. But, except for a frigid week in early January, the weather has been freakishly warm this winter (upper 50's this week and 60 in January). I should be happy we don't have the blizzard we had a year ago, but .... I fear for all my spring bulbs -- they are already at the state they usually are around mid-March and I know that we are due for some more seasonal winter weather. :( And signs of my spring allergies (tree and grass) have begun to surface, too. :mad:

13. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, you want me to accept the weather forecasting abilities of a Guinea Pig?!? That's completely ridiculous!

:rollin:

14. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Staten Island Chuck said no more winter.

15. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Well here in StL the groundhog saw his shadow. Six more weeks of winter.....even though I have been waiting for winter to come for 2 months now. It has been a mild one this year...maybe a reprieve like Grannyfan said since we too have had horrific tornadoes. Hopefully the groundhogs get it right since the weathermen never could! By the way, its been in the sixties for a week....probably how I caught this cold.

16. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Jimmy (in Wisconsin) did not see his shadow. His success rate is 80%

17. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

He's gotta be right. Staten Island Chuck ain't no chump.

18. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

Same here in Mississippi. It was around 70 degrees for the high today. We don't get much snow anyway, but we've had only one dusting all "winter". Just hope this doesn't mean a really hot summer!

19. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Balzac Billy (just north of Calgary) would have seen nothing but sunshine today, so guess what? We get six more weeks of winter!

Guess what? Spring doesn't usually come to Alberta until April anyways!

20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I thought it came in mid-June :scream:

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What's Phil smoking? It was high 60's here today, parts of the Bay Area in low 70's. Oh that's right, Phil is on the East Coast. :p Don't hate me.