So Katia-Ilya and Rena-John are now really, REALLY married!?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Frau Muller, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I could help but notice that, in two separate TV shows in the past days, skaters were introduced as "wife of/husband of" or "married," even though they were long thought to be just engaged or 'living together.' I refer to:

1. Rena Inoue/John Baldwin, Jr. - In yesterday's Kaleidoscope special, they were introduced as married. (And here I thought that they were still just engaged after the dramatic on-ice proposal years ago!)

2. Katia Gordeeva/Ilya Kullik - In the recent Holiday Moments on Ice special on Thanksgiving weekend, host Brian Boitano introduced Katya as "the wife" of Ilya Kullik before her solo and, I think, did the same for Ilya ("the husband of..."). So they really, really tied the knot, officially, with legal document?

Belated congratulations to both happy couples!
  2. nro

nro New Member

Katia and Ilia tied the knot many years ago. According to Wikipedia, they married in San Francisco on June 10, 2002.
  3. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

The news about Inoue and Baldwin caught me off-guard. I thought John would have arranged some kind of spectacle like having their wedding on HGTV.
  4. Frau Muller

ROTFL!!! :biggrinbo
  5. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

6. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Ilia and Katia have been referenced as married in articles (including reports from fans direct from Ilia or Katia) for years. Katia mentioned at a figurine signing many years ago that they married a few days before Liza's birthday (which is on June 15) and that was reported on various boards; the specifics, date and place of their marriage, were also in this major article about them in 2007 http://www.ifsmagazine.com/archive/2007/AUGUST/INDEX.PHP
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

Have to agree............it was like they were making a special point. No matter what you have heard............
  8. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I was expecting a priest or justice of the peace to skate out and marry them after their free skate at Nats last year.
  9. Frau Muller

They'll have a booth in the trade show at Greensboro - serving wedding cake!
    PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Frau Muller

Wait a sec...I now remember something about their separation a year ago or so. Did they split, then get back together? Something odd last year, around the time when Ilya came back with his deep tan ("surfer dude" look), skating in the Michael Weiss benefit in Fall 2009, there were postings on FSU about a split of some sort. (Not I! Maybe from some russian news agency...perhaps to be taken with a grain of salt.)

That's why it seemed so odd now. "Almost married"...then "revealed to be married after daughter's birth"...then split a year ago...then "back to normal and married" this year.

p.s. - Ilya looks completely different this year - much closer to his 1998 looks. Less tan. Slimmer. Maybe a little nipping and tucking. Always wonderful skating, even in the Bloated Surfer Dude period.
  11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Lots of talk on this board doesn't mean that they were really "split".
    Making a living as a skater now, often means having to go where the offers are.

Discussing one's private life should be a matter of personal choice.
    No one is obligated to say anything to the "public" at all.
  12. Frau Muller

The buzz surrounding Katia and Ilya -- "now you see them, now you don't" -- just had me wondering. Besides, Katia is now back on the "High Family Values Tour"! (wink)

Happy for both couples. Hopefully we'll get to see some Rena & John wedding photos soon!
  13. Willowway

I hope you're joking about the nip and tuck - if not, that's the way false rumors start and no one wants to do that. Ilia's a handsome guy and he's a 33 year old handsome guy which isn't very old, but he looks his age. I see him up close I imagine as often or more often than any fan and his face is definitely more mature each year -I like that. Lots of laugh lines and a few 'maturity' lines for good measure - he earned them honestly. No, no nip and tuck. Actually maturing alot -more lined, more rugged, more angular. That's typically how most men age in the face and it looks good on Ilia.

His physique has changed over the last 2-3 years and maybe that's what is registering with you. I don't know what you've seen but "bloated"? Show me that because I've never seen it. He never varies more than a couple of pounds in either direction. Lots (or pounds) of long hair, yeah; I think the headband was an experiment as was the mustache - guys do that sort of thing, my sons certainly do and I've developed the patience to wait until the next defining cut or shave. Ilia has consciously developed a much stronger upper body (years of martial arts training as a devoted aikido student and I suspect some serious time in the gym) and he is no longer the coltish, all legs-slim shoulders boy he was in 1998 so I don't see that physical comparison. He now has a man's physique with more balance between the upper and lower body. He says he is stronger now than he has ever been and I think that's obvious. Recent evidence here on front page of www.kuliks-krew.com Not bad!
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  14. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Yeah, they're really married, but do to an unfortunate glitch in the paperwork Katya ended up married to John and Rena to Ilya.

All four express gratitude that the original paperwork snafu (wherein Katya was married to Rena and Ilya to John) was at least straightened out and are mostly dealing with the situation with magnamity and good humor (though Katya is said to be suffering from panic attacks).
    meggonzo, cem, immoimeme and 5 others like this.
  15. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

:rofl: my thoughts exactly.
  16. Willowway

Mafke -

LOL - I needed a good laugh. Thank you!
  17. twinsissv

twinsissv New Member

18. Frau Muller

He was in Sept 2009 at the Weiss Gala. Not this year. He has lost a lot of weight since Sept 09.
  19. Willowway

I was at the same show and I didn't see what you say. But I'll post a link to photos of the 2009 Weiss show and we'll all take a look again.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  20. Willowway

Ilia's face does look broader with his hair pulled back the way it was at that time (and I did tell him at the time that I thought the style aged him beyond his years so maybe you'd agree with that), but if this is "bloated" then we differ on the definition of the word. http://kuliks-krew.com/photos/Weiss 2009/Weiss 2009.shtml

and a recent close up, laugh lines and all, from the Disson Rapid City show in early November 2010, click here

Please accept my apology for making a bit of a 'thing' of this (guilty, your honor) but frankly I'm very fond of Ilia (in the way I'm fond of my sons' friends who are all at least as old as Ilia) and don't like to see him personally insulted - bloated, plastic surgery - when the facts don't necessarily support it.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  21. Marlowe

Marlowe New Member

Seriously. I don't understand why there'd be any complaints about how Ilia looks.
  22. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Neither do I!
  23. Frau Muller

Sorry but Ilya doesn't look like Lothario to everyone at every time. Sorry if some of us might offend "Kullik Krew" every now and then.

He looked big, over-tanned...and, frankly, as if he had a bad hangover, my husband noted. Husband and I had on-ice seats and saw Ilya very clearly. We absolutely stick by our observations on Sept 2009. Good heavens, look at your own photos once again.

That said, he skated very well and we cheered him. But he looked bloated and much worse than he does now. He has definitely gotten back in shape and with a younger look. He looked 100-times better in Oct 2010.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  24. Willowway

You're right in that Ilia is not all things to all skating fans at all times or even some of the time; I never said he was. And I'm not saying you have to agree with me about Ilia but what you're willing to say about him in public with no basis in fact...that's my problem.

You felt the need to bring up the topic of his appearance and get in a few personal shots and have now up-ed the ante with a 'bad hangover' which is yet more supposition. You let insults fly like they're facts and they're not. They're opinions, guesses, suppositions, etc. and can be harmful to the individual about whom you're talking whether it happens to be Ilia or anyone else. This isn't just about him (although this discussion is), it's about how we talk about anyone when the words could affect their personal reputation. At best, it's careless.

You initiated the insults for no apparent reason; I responded. You didn't offend Kulik's Krew as the Krew, or Krew membership, has no bearing on this discussion. You offended me, as I think I made clear.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  25. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Chill woman....Remember, this is the TRASH CAN, so more than likely, 'trash' talk will mostly like be abundant in this forum. It's all fun. You shouldn't take it seriously or personally.

So are you offended of the 'insults' in general regardless of which skater the insults are directed towards or are you offended because they are directed towards Ilia whom you seem to consider as your 'son'? You don't have to get so defensive when a fellow FSWer doesn't paint a rosy picture of Ilia. Lots of FSWers make fun of other skater's appearances all the time, John Baldwin for example. I don't see you defending John Baldwin. They also speculate about other skaters, but I don't see you reprimanding them for speculating.
    Badams and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

The original poster's message was placed in the correct forum. It certainly belongs in a trash can.
  27. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

28. Willowway

This discussion is definitely 'cooked' but one clarification.
    Hardly.I'm nutty but I'm not that nutty! If you read my post you'd have noticed that I tried to explain my fondness for Ilia in terms of my "sons' friends", not my sons (whom I love far more than I love any other people in the world - as it should be).

Happy Holidays everyone!
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
    Badams and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Frau Muller

Home cookin' from the President (Mom) of Kulik's Krew.

CHILL, Honey. And try to have a Merry Christmas, please.
  30. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

If I wasn't feeling fat before I really do now.............Seriously ........you think he looked bloated? Merry Christmas everyone.........time to eat again.
  31. sfgirl

sfgirl New Member

Merry Christmas!