So it seems we have mice...now what?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Anita18, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

This morning we found mouse droppings on the kitchen counter next to our stove. We actually don't do any food preparation right there (it's where we keep our spices) but we're going to get bleach to clean off that area.

BF is out right now getting resealable containers for the bulk food he usually leaves in the plastic bags he buys them in, as well as a big one for the cat food, which he usually leaves out completely open in the middle of the floor. :lol: This may also finally be the :kickass: to get him to clean his cooking utensils in a timely manner, because he usually leaves them out dirty until the next time he uses them. (Think the mice are going to pass up a pan full of bacon grease? :rofl: ) Plus us getting a proper trash can and all those other things that we took for granted that we wouldn't have mice.

The landlord is going to provide mousetraps and I'm planning to try and pull out the stove and maybe the fridge to see if there are any holes where they're coming in. I read that caulk mixed with steel wool is a good way to plug up those holes. Any tips for doing that without blowing up my apartment?

I'd like to know if there's anything more that we can do. We already have a cat, who's so old that if I can't hear the mice, he probably can't hear the mice. He hasn't made any kind of indication that he's sensed mice in the kitchen. We did ask my old roommate if we could borrow her much younger cat. :eek: But the mice are pretty ballsy, since we found the droppings less than three feet from where we keep the litterbox. :shuffle:

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I've used the steel wool before but not the caulk. You may only have one mouse, and they are usually pretty easy to catch. Sealing up the containers is definitely wise. The open bag of cat food could be the big draw. Your mouse may be a chubby little critter.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

From our experience, check the drawer under the stove and any dark corners like where you keep your broom. If you see droppings there too, you have more than one.

The only sure fire remedy is an exterminator. S/he will be able to find the places that need to be closed up, will set baits on the travel route from those spots to the food sources, find any spots where they may be nesting, and will schedule a follow up to make sure they're gone. It's money well spent. You might soften up the landlord by offering to share the cost.

4. dramagrrl

dramagrrl Active Member

I second the exterminator advice, especially if your house is older and has multiple floors. My friend lives in an older house and had a mouse problem two years ago, and spent six months trying to fight the issue himself, but they kept coming back (and getting braver to the point where they were even going upstairs to the second floor and wandering while lights were on) until he got an exterminator. They never came back after the professional extermination.

5. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Borrow a cat with a good killing record. No mouse trap can match a good cat.

6. Anita18

I remember living with my aunt in her relatively new (and very large) house one summer when they had a mouse problem. In fact I was the first to spot one, and it was already bold enough to wander into the bathroom when I was using it. :lol: Then we had multiple sightings of them in broad daylight, even running over the glue traps a few times. It truly was :rofl: but my aunt is somewhat of a hoarder so food safety was definitely a concern...

If this mouse was bold enough to do that, I'm sure even our useless old cat would have his attention piqued...

Do crickets, flies, and cockroaches count? My former roommate's young cat LOVED to catch them, but she never came back with a mouse or bird. Then again she was an indoor cat...

7. Gazpacho

Flies are harder to catch than mice. I suspect she'll be a good killer.

8. Anita18

Mice I suspect are smarter though. The flies don't know how to do anything other than to keep flying into windows where she can catch them.

At any rate my roommate wrote back and said no since she doesn't want her cats contaminated with mouse. :lol:

9. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Good old Victor snap traps work every time. Bait them with peanut butter and oats. Leave the traps out even if you aren't catching mice because the smell will deter others.

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Like Alexander Petrovsky told Carrie, "Vere dere ees von, dere ees probluly more". Eradicate the beasts. I use regular traps and glue traps and could care less how much the little bastards suffer. Yeah, and don't leave any food hanging out.

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Not sure of your lease agreement but I wouldn't put too much time or money into this. Your landlord should be taking care of it.

12. Gazpacho

Glue traps are the worst for everyone. There are humane mouse traps available. I used one to catch a mouse in my apartment. Forget what they say about cheese. It's all about peanut butter and Mars bars. Here are some of the traps, and here is how to make one yourself.

13. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh. I was just thinking about posting the same question cause I gots mice (or mouse?) too!! Saw one scamper across the kitchen floor and dart under the basement door before I could even scream out "eek a mouse!". :lol: Also saw one in my garage. I know there are field mice around where I live because I found a little dead mouse in the garden one time, and another time one scampered right across my hand when I was pulling weeds! :eek:

I put out traps with peanut butter on them, came back and peanut butter was licked clean away, but the trap didn't even go off! :eek: I found a h-u-g-e nest in an empty box I had in the basement, along with at least 10 items of clothing and towels that had holes eaten in them. :mad:

Does the fact that my house is sitting empty most of the time attract them? I am mostly staying at my mom's house right now helping her clean out her house to get it on the market (and making very little progress). So I basically live there, then just go to my house to cut the grass and check on the house, so not really "living" there. So an exterminator will actually inspect your house and figure out how they are getting in? I have two big crawl spaces in my basement, and there's no way I can haul my big ole butt into those areas to look around, but I can see with a flashlight there's mouse poops all in there. Will they go in the crawl spaces and vacuum up that shyte in there? :D

14. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Please don't use glue traps - all to often, the mouse will gnaw at his/her own body to free itself :yikes: .

I love little critters, but not in my house. I've found that a good mouser has been the best way to go. Granted, we haven't had any problems with mice, but all three of our cats absolutely love it when a palmetto bug or any other insect finds its way inside. They'll actually fight over who gets to "play" with the bug, and so far we've never had any problems. The only thing I have to deal with is sweeping up what's left of the invader's body (usually wings or part of the exoskeleton).

My ex-husband has an aquarium with cichlids, and if he finds any type of bug in or out of his house, he catches them alive and feeds them to the fish -- those bugs are to fish what filet mignon is to humans :lol: . It's actually kind of fun to watch them go after their dinner treat; the fish actually get into fights over who gets to have the fine dining :p .

15. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

We set up the humane traps baited with peanut butter in several spots, along the floorboards, on the stove top and against the wall where the counter meets the wall. Mice also like chocolate, we found chocolate wrappers under our stove one year and another year under the refrigerator. Don't leave out bananas or any fruit and if you trap the mouse live, take it far away before you release it. I swear one year we had the same mouse coming back over and over until my husband drove it to a park a mile away!

16. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Legal issues aside, I find it's always best to offer to share the cost. The landlord "owns" the spots where they're getting in, but the tenant "owns" the things that are attracting them.

17. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

We had a small mouse problem last year, and at first, we bought the humane traps. We caught one and released it about a mile away. But then it seems we caught a desperate mouse who literally chewed through the hard plastic to set itself free. After it ate all the peanut butter of course. So now we use the d-con no view, no touch kill traps and they seem to work pretty well.

18. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah, I second or third or whatever the "don't use glue traps" bit. That's horrible. A mouse is just an animal. Get rid of them quickly with a nice snap at the neck trap. The mouse doesn't know what hit them usually.

19. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Glue traps are gross. I kept accidentally stepping on them and ruining my socks. Eventually I ended up moving out....

20. Gazpacho

:eek: Honestly, if a mouse is that determined to live, I'd probably take pity on the creature and let him live, but after catching him and immediately setting him free far away, before he can chew through the plastic.

With humane mouse traps, you have to check them often. Also, leaving a trail of food helps.

I've heard that you should put the traps along a wall or corner. I didn't know that when I set my traps and caught a mouse anyway, but I believe mice like walls and corners.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  21. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Open a theme park?

22. Anita18

Definitely. I don't think we would have attracted them if my bf hadn't insisted on being such a slob when it comes to food storage. I'm almost glad for it so now I have ammo as to why he should do things the way I want. :D

We definitely won't be using them. My aunt used them and we saw a mouse run over one without getting caught. We would also catch more spiders and centipedes than mice. :lol: I also heard from my cousin that he saw one kill itself by ripping off a limb trying to escape. :( (Thank God I wasn't there to see that. :yikes: )

My coworker had a rat problem and she refused to have them killed. (Somewhat related, she's vegan.) But when your pests are getting to be bigger than your dog (albeit the dog in question is a teeny Yorkie), simple traps won't be enough! She definitely had huge holes behind her stove and water heater where they were getting in and her landlady never did get that fixed. I would definitely move if it got that bad!

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

They aren't bad for me.....I have no problem with them at all. I just put them in a paper bag and then pitch them out in the trash. And I never use cheese either, but peanut butter, candy bars and bacon.

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Sorry to say but when it comes to vermin, I just don't care. When I had mice problem two years ago, I surrounded the hole they came out of with sticky traps. When the mouse caught itself in the trap I then duct tape the mouse and the trap like a mummy and then throw it in the trash can. I caught 7 of the little suckers that way.

ChelleC and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Marry me........

26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

If you're willing to support me financially then the answer is "Yes!" :lol:

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

ok.....I'll just have to work BOTH sides of the street now. :p

Beefcake likes this.
  28. lise

lise Well-Known Member

I'm all for glue traps. They work great! I tend to jump big time with the traditional traps so this is an alternative.

If you hire an exterminator, they can place bait and the mice will eat and die within the walls. However, you still need to plug up the hole in which they are coming in from so that this does not happen again. Hubby is an exterminator so I leave this stuff to him!

Good luck!

29. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Hmmm .. does he deal in mice? Could you ask him how he would proceed if called to a house where someone saw a mouse and has evidenice (visible mouse poops) of mice so I can compare that to what a local company will tell me/what they do? I tend to attract poor service (i.e., get ripped off no matter the circumstance) whenever I hire ANYONE because I am so clueless about everything. I have a big flashing sign that says "sucker" over my head and boy have I been taken advantage of because of it. :( I'd like to hear what a pro would do so I know what to ask and look for.

30. mkats

mkats New Member

I just moved into my new place (single house, sharing with two other residents) today and one of the housemates told me that the mouse problem has been resolved. Crossing my fingers that this is true, because I find the darn things way too cute and could never bring myself to kill one...

I stayed over a few weeks ago and went out on the street to call my boyfriend; came back and found soon-to-be female roomie standing on the kitchen table screaming while soon-to-be male roomie ran around with a plastic bag going "here mousey mousey! here mousey mousey!" :lol: needless to say, this was not the most efficient method, and soon he resorted to his judo stick. :(