So, is it easier to go to double salchow, before Axel?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by vickko, Mar 17, 2014.

1. vickko

vickko New Member

I stopped skating 20 years ago and returned to it 3 months ago.

I think it would be nice to be able to do all my jumps again, and I'm finding that I'm easily over-rotating my jumps.

I wonder if it would be a quicker route to an Axel by working on my double Salchow first, and take advantage of all that rotation that I'm getting?
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Judging by the fact that the adult gold test allows an axel, a double salchow or a double toe, it seems that for some people a double is easier than an axel. It probably depends on the individual skater which one is easiest.
  3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Some of the higher level skater who are on my FS sessions tend to work on their beginning doubles more than their axel as well. One of them explained it's because axel take offs can be scarier if you don't skate on a regular basis any more and the timing of a double comes back quicker, or at least feels more natural. Maybe you're the same? I agree with Skittl this is all a personal preference, though.
  4. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

It depends on the skater. A former coach told me as a child, she got her double sal before the axel. For me as an adult, I got the axel first.
  5. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

Don't do what I did and get hung up on sequence. Learn jumps in whichever order works for you.
    aliceanne and (deleted member) like this.
  6. ronniev

ronniev New Member

if you're easily overrotating your jumps, then are you checking hard enough? it might be a good idea to strengthen your checking before starting doubles. just my opinion though