Sneak Peek of Johnny's First Collection

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by sk9tingfan, Apr 27, 2011.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2011/04/johnny_weir_tk.html#

New York Magazine has an interview with Johnny as well as a slide show that provides a glimpse into his first collection which will appear on www.edressme.com on April 30th. Some of my thoughts:

- They all look alike or similar and very safe/conservative
    - His constant referring to himself as a girl is making me think, "The Lady doth protest too much methinks" and that was not meant as a pun. I just wonder what the future will hold for Johnny based on his comments
    - I suppose I could do some research but does anyone know beyond edressme.com, who is providing him with financial backing?

Would love some thoughts about this!

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I think the dresses are quite pretty, but I think this comment is kind of misleading: "No matter what condition your legs are in, you always look skinny in that style dress". I'd believe this if the pictures showed real-sized women wearing the dresses, not stick-thin teenage models.

And the short skirts are short enough that even slimmer women might have second thoughts about wearing them.

3. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Active Member

I think it's pretty easy to predict what direction this thread will go in, if it's about Johnny.

I like the dresses. Even though he says any woman can wear them, they're definitely geared toward younger women, I'd say. (He's 26, so that makes sense.) That said, I'm pleased he has a couple of longer (just above knee and very long) options, as well as both fuller and fitted skirts. They're very basic, but he says he made them that way on purpose, for universal appeal in his first go at dress design. Sounds like a smart move, as does getting more adventurous in later collections. Each one does have a LITTLE detail that makes it different, which is nice. So I'd say they're not up to par with the design masters, but they're nice and wearable and have appeal. And I think that's a good thing. He knows his limits right now, and I'm glad he's brave enough to try new things.

4. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

I agree with Justathoughtabl; the designs are pretty but nothing ground breaking. I did expect something a little more high fashion coming from Johnny but not bad at all for his first effort. I'm not all that surprised that Johnny has his own collection; looking at his skating costumes it's been clear that fashion is a huge interest.

5. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I think that the dresses are a nice start. There is no question, though he says no, that there is a figure skating influence. But, that is his world. I will reserve judgement for a broader collection.

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

The third dress is fugly - It looks like it needs to be both pulled up at the bodice and down at the skirt - in other words, a Kostner costume. I've seen ladies wearing that style, so I guess it's not a poor construction issue, but it's a style that is flattering on NO ONE. Plus it appears to be made of satin :scream: The next dress is a far better example of how to make a short skirted dress.

I love the lines of dress #5, although the epaulet straps are a little distracting from the simplicity of the dress (I'm guessing that's the point). It looks a bit like a nice skating practice dress with a mockup of something that might end up on the final costume :lol:

Overall I'd say not too bad, but nothing exactly new or notable.

7. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I really like the black one with the cap sleeves. I'd wear it.

Nothing new or notable, but pretty.

8. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Certainly they are too tame and ordinary to make it through Project Runway, but they are lovely and simple (in a good way).

9. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see some simple and actually (mostly) wearable-by-real-people designs. The stuff you see on runways? Way too out there for actual, real people.

10. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I never would have thought Johnny would produce "simple but pretty" type dresses. I really like some of them. Not breathtaking, but not bad at all.

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Not much to it, but they are nice. I like that he tried to do simple because it was unexpected.

12. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I really liked 4 (classic little black dress, elegant and classy), and LOVED 5 and 6 (woohoo, elegant, understated, and NORMAL)!

1 is exactly the sort of dress I could see myself wearing (with a slightly lower waistline at the front and maybe straps as not everyone has the equipment to hold up strapless dresses :slinkaway). I really like the skirt, it's really feminine and pretty. I'm a big fan of elegant, feminine dresses. I'm so glad it's coming back :)

I may not be a fan of Johnny, but I could definitely be a fan of his collection...

13. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

There really isn't much "design" going on, is there? They look like okay dresses if you like strapless, but every single bridal line in the world that does bridesmaids' gowns has that last one already. They're all so ready-to-wear they're dull. Johnny is supposed to be outrageous. Where is the outrageous? I certainly can't see a drag queen going for any of them, they're just too plain. Even the colors are dull. Unless one is supposed to buy them and paint/stone them oneself.

If they are boned and the corsetry is done well and there's a really good tight waistband and it's cut right for the person wearing it, they'll stay up, but still...he also might be mis-timing as all speculation says Catherine the Princess-to-Be can't have a strapless gown (thank God) tomorrow as it's inappropriate for the venue, so hopefully it will start a new trend in bridal and formal for something other than the strapless bodice. So strapless boning might be 'out' for quite a bit.

14. Justathoughtabl

Did you read the interview? He said he purposely went for mass appeal (read: not outrageous or too different) with these dresses and wanted to use this opportunity to show that he's capable of doing clothing with simple lines. I guess we'll have to wait to see what his limits are.

Also, that long gown looks like it's just simple and pink, but I think there's a big black bustle and/or train in the back and maybe some black tulle as well.

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

These are elegant and sophisticated.
    I'd like to see more.

I wish Johnny success and hope that he will be taken seriously.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

They are certainly wearable if I were into the strapless thing. However, I wasn't overwhelmed by an irrepressible desire to wear one.

17. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Strapless doesn't look good on anyone over a size 6 or so. Maybe not even then. I could certainly not wear one. And the thin, thin straps don't work very well either. So, I could wear the one dress that isn't either of those.

Pretty though.

18. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I think I might buy one for my graduation party.

ETA: Check Ashley Wagner's twitter-she tried some of the dresses on!

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Did she like them?

20. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, she looks great in the all black one--rocking the tassel! Less great in the half black, half pink--the skirt is in the wrong place.

22. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I love the tassel dress. It almost looks made for Ashley!

23. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I agree, the half black/half pink one doesn't fit right. And I think the black/pink is too much contrast without a skinny belt or something to soften the transition. I would have liked the contrast to be less dramatic, especially with the weight change in the fabric.

24. Justathoughtabl

25. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Justathoughtabl -- nice collection for this beginning foray. I like how Johnny is finding a way to combine all aspects of his talent re modeling himself and doing some designing and skating during Fashion Week, and now developing a relationship with edressme that they plan to extend. Cool how they will also be showing the collection during skating events. Kind of serendipitious how the relationship with edressme developed, as his manager, Tara, describes in the video.

26. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Saw some of the collection in person tonight at the Ice Dreams show. I must say, they were quite cute and seemed well constructed in person.

The skaters for the show (Agnes Zawadski and Ashley Wagner, and a pairs girl whose name sadly I forget) were also dressed in the most adorable edressme skating dresses I've seen in a long time. But Agnes said they don't get to keep them, which surprised me.