Smoking Toddler

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Jun 1, 2010.

1. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

OMG....:yikes: He's only 2 years old!
    Smoking Toddler

2. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

:eek: Nicorette please!

3. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Where does he get the access?

4. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

It says the parents have quit smoking and sought help for him but give in when he goes through withdrawal, and it also says that he's become an entertainment spectacle with people giving him cigarettes because they think it's funny :mad:

He's under child social services, but I guess, like in many countries, they're not doing enough.

By the way, I have difficulty believing he's only two. I would guess that he's at least 4 but perhaps is cognitively developmentally delayed because of his mother's smoking during pregnancy.

5. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

I read it to mean that a different child, a 4 year old, was under Child Protective Services and had successfully quit smoking.

6. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Funny thing is we were looking at a pack of bf's Nicorette lozenges the other day and right on the package it says "Adult dosage.." and we were laughing about how they have to specify adult and started making jokes about someone calling and asking how much they should give their 3 y/o to curb his smoking habit. Whoever thought a toddler might actually need it?

7. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:eek:

That's freaky, to say the least.

:scream:

8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

This made me absolutely sick watching it.

Indonesia is one of the worst countries for smoking. Cigarettes are incredibly cheap and the government will not do anything about health warnings. Problem is that innocent people die of smoking related illnesses because they are around members of their families who smoke.

9. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

He looks about two to me, but just severely overweight. While I certainly don't advocate smoking during pregnancy, is there proof that shows a direct correlation between a child that is "cognitively developmentally delayed" and his/her mother that smokes during pregnancy?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  10. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't think so. If there were, the incidence of cognitively and developmentally delayed would be less today than it was in the 60s and 70s, when so many people (including mothers-to-be and mothers). And it would be less in cultures where people smoked less - so far as I know, the rate of mentally handicapped children is consistent across cultures.

Disturbing video though. And the fact that the kid is so extremely overweight in addition to being a compulsive smoker is odd - the kid needs a physical and mental health assessment and the parents need help finding a smoking cessation program suitable for a two-year old smoker.

And the child has been getting cigarettes from somewhere, which his parents should not have allowed. They have been woefully negligent, but it appears that Indonesia does not have a policy in place for dealing with such a case.

11. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

His parents are giving them to him

12. birdgal

birdgal New Member

I guess they don't have parenting classes in Indonesia. :( What a sad story.

The parents could use some education in setting limits, but it seems like there are also many cultural influences at work.