Smash: Season 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Feb 6, 2013.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Julia and her insecurities are so tedious. Bring back the scarves!

Even though Sean Hayes doesn't present as a movie star a la Uma Thurman did, his and Ivy's side story was the bright spot of this ep.

2. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Eh, most women are going to be bitchy for years if another woman doinks her fiance, steals her engagement ring and lies about it.

What I don't understand about Smash is: is it a television show about a musical, or is it a musical television show like Glee? That number is which Karen was singing to nobody about her latest crush and he's just walking around her like he doesn't hear her was pretty awkward.

3. nypanda

nypanda Well-Known Member

Word from the set is that Smash has not been renewed. Enjoy while you can.... :(

4. genevieve

Yeah, some of the random songs last season worked ok even if they were awkward, but last night's pining for the new crush became my fridge break - I went and did the dishes during it.

The GossipGirlization of the show was a complete misstep, but I think the bigger problem was the loooooong hiatus and moving it to Tuesday. There is nothing else of interest on Tuesday, hard to remember there's one show at 10pm that I want to watch. I really enjoyed last season, even though the show had some problematic moments, but this season isn't any fun at all and I can't say I'll miss it.

5. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Glee is also a television show about a glee club that does musical shows just like the cast of Smash. So, both shows do stagework musical performances and non-stage performances. Smash is much less successful when it comes to their non-stage stuff (although I did like the latest one). The one thing this show has been pretty good with is the actual material of Bombshell. A lot of it is quite compelling.

Not surprised by the cancellation news. If it means Deception continues on, I'm all for it.

6. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Rob Schneider would be considered a movie star as well as Adam Sandler and Kevin James. I am guessing this is the vibe they are going for with Sean.

7. genevieve

Smash is being moved to Saturdays (presumably to die):
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/13/smash-moves-to-saturdays/

A shame that it doesn't have the chance to benefit from the Voice lead-in it had last year, even though the show has faltered creatively (total haterade for the bad boy singer/songwriter). But honestly, NBC thinks a new reality dating show is a great option?!? How very 2005 of them!

BTW, I was so excited when Terrible Ellis was invoked on the show this week. I had high hopes he'd come back and slap everyone into shape with his evil ways. :lol:

8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I hate the bad boy singer/songwriter too. What a whiner.

It's probably for the best. This show never had much longevity. Do the best you can with whatever remaining episodes you got. The best thing about this stoopid show is that I actually like the two musicals (Hit List and Bombshell)--I would like to see both in their entireties.

9. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I agree x2. Even if Bombshell only became the "backdrop" and the show focussed solely on the characters' personal lives :eek:, there's still limited material here. (And frankly, I probably wouldn't have watched if it went Glee like that.)

I just hope that a. they show the remaining episodes and end things properly, and b. they show us lots more of the shows and their songs.

I think the biggest challenge will be in figuring out how to work Ivy back into "Bombshell" in a meaningful way. Her fit with "Liaisons" is really good now, but it will seem anticlimactic if "Bombshell" ends without her.

10. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

I agree. To me, the point of this show is the preparation of getting it to Broadway. I won't be that interested once that happens.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that hard. Karen is becoming increasingly involved with Liasons to the point where she is enjoying it more then Bombshell. Derek, who almost single-handedly got her the role of Marilyn, isn't the director anymore...Tom is. And who is Tom's favorite person in the whole world? Ivy!

12. genevieve

At this point, I'm enjoying Ivy and Jack in Liaisons more than any of the Bombshell/Marilyn/Hit List crew.

But yes, it should be very easy to get Ivy back in the other blonde wig ;) I just hope they can come up with some idiotic reason to have Jack and Grace in the same scene :p