Smash: Season 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Is anyone else watching? I'm so excited--I almost watched Glee I was so desperate :p

So far it's soapy, soapy, soapy :watch: :watch: and I LOVES IT. I love the direction it's going so far, and they have forever earned by undying loyalty by using "Don't Dream it's Over" by Crowded House and use it well in terms of the musical arrangement and how it was used in the show.

I'm not even minding Idol girl so much this time around.

2. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

me! me! me!

3. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

I just finished my season 1 binge-watch right before the new episodes started. Intriguing so far...

4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I know you're not watching Glee anymore, but just letting you know that the kids on Glee also sang that song this season. Crowded House must be making money for the first time in YEARS.

5. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

It was pretty good for a start. However, the number with Jack and his fantasy of all the women singing The Eurythmics "Would I Lie To You" to him was bad. Like, cringeworthy bad. I'd have cut that scene in a heartbeat.

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I ignored that scene. Was otherwise cautiously optimistic about the start. Still waaaaay too much Julia for my liking, but digging Jennifer Hudson, the evolution of Ivy, and how they are going to keep all these peoples' lives intertwined while Bombshell is in production/on hiatus/back in production.

MORE EILEEN PLS!

and I kinda miss Terrible Ellis :shuffle:

7. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Agreed. It was terrible. Embarassing.

And Glee did a better version of Don't dream it's over IMO.

But they cleverly stayed away from the interpersonal relationships outside of the show for the most part. The Julia/ Frank relationship had to have some resolution. And I was glad that she finally stopped moping. I don't hate Katherine McPhee like a lot of people here. And i can actually see why Derek wanted her for Marilyn. She does have a more innocent vulnerability that Megan Hilty IMO doesn't have for the character. Megan is a far better and more dynamic singer and character though. But she comes across as the manufactured by Hollywood Marilyn. While I think Katherine seems like Norma Jean. Katherine's character needs to grow some balls though. She is becoming a little too insipid. She was most interesting in her face-off with Ivy at the party. The new guy was cute and a great singer but he better stop being a huge jerk soon.

This show is best when it stays in the confines of the show business stories. That's what I liked about it this week. And I hope Derek starts to be redeemed a little or stop being so selfish. it looks like they might head that way. I would prefer him to keep his arrogant snark. But the womanizing is making him a bit pathetic to be honest. Having said that I do think he has great chemistry with McPhee.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

It was interesting how they went in and tried to clean up a lot of things in a short period of time.

9. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I thought McPhee was really bland (and it's not just the character IMO). However, Megan Hilty, Angelica, Houston, and some of the rest of the cast brought some nice spirit to the episode. Despite her Oscar, I don't think that Jennifer Hudson is that convincing of an actress but she has way more screen presence than McPhee.

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i liked the song megan sang at the end

i still try to pretend mcphee isnt there, she's not annoying, she's a good singer, but overall she adds no value for me

11. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I TOTALLY AGREE! Megan is the true Marilyn. Just one look at her gives me Marilyn vibe:swoon: I hope they change their diva and give McPhee that new musical. She's really pretty and looks like Marilyn when make up and wig are on but other than those, nothing special really.

12. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I love the show, but I'm not on the Megan Hilty bandwagon. I find her annoyingly fake.

13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

So what do you think about the scene where Ivy apologized to Karen? Hilty doing a TV-good job of acting Ivy being sincere? Or Hilty showing Ivy doing a good job of acting?

14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Hilty is beyond overrated.

I haven't seen the episode yet. How is the real estate? Did Julia keep the Brownstone?

15. genevieve

Julia is shacking up on Tom's couch

I like both Megan Hilty and Katherine McPhee. :)

I lived Dev and was sad his character was written out (with barely a quickly scanned letter to acknowledge him!), but from the beginning of the show I thought it was unrealistic that a small-town girl just arrived in the Big Apple to launch a career on Broadway would stay with her college (or was it high school?) sweetheart for long, and there's no other connection to the show to keep him there.

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Apparently not! The ratings were just awful. If those ratings keep up it will be canceled.

17. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I just watched it last night and I thought it was well done. They should have never moved it from Monday and its lead in was a snooze, as much as love Betty White.

18. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

This is the thing. People are reluctant to invest time in a show that looks like it may be cancelled.

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It's in the 2nd season. Those who wanted to invest time would have already done so.

20. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

21. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

God, Megan Hilty singing "They Just Keep Moving the Line" at the end was :swoon:. I like Katherine McPhee too, but Megan's voice is just perfect.

I thought it was a really good start to the season! I like all the new characters so far, and I'm glad Dev/Ellis/Frank/moody teenager are all gone. :cheer:

Ratings were really poor, but the show doesn't have a good lead-in at all. Maybe it will get better once "Go On" and "The New Normal" come back? On the other hand, iTunes sales of the songs from this episode have been really strong so far, so that may be a saving grace? Time will tell, but I really hope the show isn't cancelled! It's 10x more interesting than Glee these days, IMO.

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Finally had a chance to watch last night.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty meh up to that point ... but that song, and Ivy's performance of it, were :cheer: I have nothing against Karen -- either her actor or her character -- and I like how she's growing up, but Ivy had me in that performance.

I love the idea of Julia crashing at Tom's, even if it means no more of her beautiful brownstone. "It's time to retire the scarves." :lol: Too bad about no more Sam, though, he was so good for Tom.

The Eileen storyline was :rolleyes:, but then I've thought that from the beginning. Love her, hate what they've been writing for her.

I gave up on Glee years ago, so I hope the writing, music, and ratings (!) keep up enough to keep giving me my fix. I'm pretty :confused: at why they chose to have a 2-hour season opener (that was really 2 single episodes, not one 2-hour episode) ... and then a week off. How is that supposed to help the ratings?

23. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Wait--Sam is gone? Excellent. Bring back Gay Republican!

ETA: This Tuesday, Obama is giving the State of the Union Address, so no new programming on the major networks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I finally watched the episode. I thought it was pretty good. I have to say, I LOVE KYLE!!!

25. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Jen Hudson sounds great when singing, but her non-singing acting is horrible. Jeremy Jordan is also not a very good actor.

McPhee - I don't buy her as MM. The JFK-MM music number was bad.

I like the Robyn's song "Dancing On My Own", so I was delighted to hear it sung on the show.

26. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Jeremy Jordan is totally charmless in Smash. The character is written horribly and I don't buy him as a potential love interest. I know he has a Tony Awards nomination, but I don't find him effective at all in this role. I don't know who is more dull on the screen-Jennifer Hudson or Katherine McPhee.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. genevieve

I'm bummed out about the GossipGirlization of the show. New bad boy genius composer is two dimensional and boring - I'm more interested in his sidekick. And I've been a defender of Kat McPhee/Karen, but I found it annoying that 1) she's now magical muse to TWO men and 2) after exactly one trial run on a show in Boston she's completely old hat "this is what you need to do to make it in this biz". The Ronnie story was vaguely interesting, but should have been spread out over several episodes. All in one hour it strained all credibility. Way too much Julia (as usual), not enough Elaine.

the one point of real interest in the whole ep: so was Nick on Jerry's payroll the WHOLE TIME!? :eek: :fragile: that's some devious shit. (((Elaine)))

28. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The last twist was quite good wrt Jerry and Elaine. That was clearly a Gossip Girl maneuver. Unfortunately, there was another Gossip Girl influence in having Jimmy be Chuck Bass with some musical talent. And, yes, I much prefer Kyle, but the gay guy in love with the straight guy is beyond tiring and I don't know what Kyle actually does. Does he write? I didn't seem him contribute to that song, except fetch Chuck Bass some water. Maybe I missed something (I was watching while making and eating dinner)?

And Julia's reinvention of the Marilyn musical sounds like a ripoff of Nine, except the genders are reversed.

29. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I found Hudson slightly better in this last episode than previously, but I agree she's a weak link. She's also by far the worst lip-syncher in the show -- I've gotten used to the lip-synching by everyone else (or maybe they've gotten better), but when she's singing I have to close my eyes, the visual-audio disconnect is so bad. (And it can't be a good sign that I found Kyle's rendition of "Everybody Loves You Now" waaay better than Ronnie's.)

Jordon is a complete snore. I do like the "Hit List" concept, but since it would be so completely unrealistic for us to actually see any of it for years, I don't anticipate a lot of entertainment value in that storyline.

I like that Karen had a slight thawing with Ivy -- they'll never be bffs, but the bitchiness was getting tedious.

My favourite thing so far this season is how they've developed Ivy's character -- even if she isn't getting as much screen time, what she does get is far more interesting, and far more relatable, than her diva-bitch persona from last season.

30. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

First Ellis, now Kyle. Kyle loves straight men, is apparently untalented, and sabotages relationships. Yay, wonderful representation of gay men!!!

I can buy Uma Thurman as a movie star. I cannot buy Sean Hayes as a movie star.

ETA: I really liked Katherine McPhee's rendition of "Some Boys."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013