Skating UP????

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Firefly123, May 7, 2010.

1. Firefly123

Firefly123 New Member

Yes. That is my complaint. I don't mind having MITF or footwork or whatever you want to call it comprise a part of the freestyle test. (To be weighed against the jumps/spins as in done currently under the ISI testing system.) That's fair.

However....To make MITF it's own test. And then to force the freestylist to pass it before they are able to test freestyle and not to allow the freestylist to use their jumps/spins to raise the mark of a low MITF....Now that is what boils me. IMO, MITF is given an undo emphasis that it doesn't deserve. And the necessary edges argument for successful jumps spins doesn't make sense. Two words: Surya Bonaly. ;) Also, by the reasoning that good edges make a better jumper, than any ice dancer should be easily capable of at least triples since they have superior edges....See it doesn't work. ;)

P.S. I like you. Please don't be mad at me. :)

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Didn't Surya Bonaly have to do figures? Her edges might not have been great for an elite- but she still did them.

I'm sure her edge quality could knock the socks off of even a good adult skater.

3. Firefly123

Firefly123 New Member

Yes, I'm sure she did. They didn't remove patch until the early 90s, right?

I think they should let you guys do patch as it's own event. Don't know why they don't. I guess a lot of skaters like it. Roller gives it it's own event at Nats and Worlds. There you go. Civil disobedience. A whole freestyle routine full of patch. Actually, John Curry did that once, didn't he?

Link

Firefly watching video and shaking head. Why? oh Why? :duh: Oh the humanity....:yikes:

Admin Edit: Fixed link.

4. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

The freestyle tests just require steps, but they don't specify what kind of steps have to be included.

See the forms for Adult Bronze, Silver, and Gold freestyle tests.

Only gold requires a full step sequence. And there's no reason it couldn't consist of all easy steps (forward threes, mohawks, half jumps in the preferred direction, non-turning steps like chasses).

That wouldn't score very well even in 6.0 competition, but it would fulfill the test requirement.

Moves in the Field tests systematically require all the three turns (forward and backward, inside and outside, on both feet) on the Adult Silver (or standard Prejuvenile) test and all the brackets on the Adult Gold or Intermediate test.

Novice MITF requires all the counters, Junior requires all the rockers, most of the choctaws are included in one move or another at those levels as well.

Twizzles and loops are also being added starting with Intermediate as of this coming September.

In competition, Adult Gold and Masters levels currently require either a step sequence or a spiral sequence. That may change in the near future now that the ISU has changed the spiral sequence definitions at the elite levels.

5. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

There was an all figures competition held in Portland, OR in July 2009. Maybe a little research is due before you get all :duh: and "oh, the humanity"? The dramatics aren't necessary. We're all well versed in our sport here. You have to remember roller isn't figure skating. Just because they do something at their nationals, dosen't mean we have to. And vice versa; they're two completely different sports. I think it would help you some to try to remember that fact. I wouldn't start roller skating and then begin to demand all the rules change for me if there's something about their system I didn't like.

6. Firefly123

Firefly123 New Member

Actually, that was supposed to be funny. Sorry. :(

That is cool. Yes that is what I'm saying. :D

7. sk8lady

sk8lady New Member

Well, if the main reason she wants to compete is to show people that the system is wrong--that she should not have to do MITF in order to do freestyle--this is a perfect example of what the drawbacks of requiring MITF would be, particularly as far as adults are concerned. Certainly practicing MITF makes for better, stronger skaters but if you're adult enough to have your own set of tests, should you be forced to do MITF if you don't want to? Understand I'm playing devil's advocate here--doing moves and dance have improved my freestyle tremendously and I think anyone who wants to be a good skater ought to do them, or figures. But the way the system is set up, skaters can only compete at or below their lowest MITF level, which for this gal would be Pre-Bronze. The MITF requirement actually came after the establishment of the separate adult tests--initially, you could take the freestyle tests without having taken MITF tests.

8. Skittl1321

Well since she is technically qualified to skate up to PreBronze, she could if she wanted to.

But she wants to skate at a level where she can do double jumps and flying spins, so that won't work.

Of course, even at those levels she wants to do whatever she wants- so why not do that at PreBronze? She could go out with a1:30 program of double jumps and high level spins. Of course, each time there would be a deduction for an illegal element. She could even make the program longer if she wanted, but there would be a penalty for that too.

9. sk8lady

sk8lady New Member

More or less what Surya Bonaly did in one of her last competition--did an illegal (but great-looking) backflip landed on one foot.

10. kayskate

kayskate New Member

I'm definitely not mad. I think this discussion is interesting. It has made me think more about this sport and its history. As for Bonaly: I love her. She is a great skater. Supposedly, she got dinged for her edge quality and MITF. I have no doubt she was pretty good at edges compared to most skaters, though may be not other elites. Her quality of skating got her World silver (which was huge disappointment to her if we recall the infamous medal ceremony), trips to Olys, Euro titles, a pro career, etc. She is one of a kind. I mean that in a good way. After Dorothy, she is my fav female skater. Even named a cat after her. I'm certainly glad Surya's reputed lack of edge quality did not keep her out of the game, b/c she was a joy to watch. Similarly, I am glad Lucinda's lack of jumps did not keep her out of the game. She has spins like no other.

Supposedly, Janet Lynn was not highly skilled at figs, though she could probably skate circles around most skaters (pun intended). Hence, the short program. Even when the rules changed to favor skaters w her skills, she did not win the title. But she instituted change that ultimately led to the demise of figs, the sport's original core. As I understand it, MITF was a way to bring back figs in a FS context. This is more apparent now w the new changes that have brought loop figs back and other skills. Again, this seems to be an answer to lower edge quality and over-emphasis on jumps. Read: teen jumping beans.

Another ex: Plushenko's recent Oly silver. Lots have been said about this program and results that I will not restate. Apparently, Plush was upset that jumping did not beat a well-balanced program. Not necessarily everyone's opinion, but the end result.

I read some where that Russia does not (or did not) have a test structure. Don't know how true this is. Apparently, skaters were sent to events their coaches and fed thought were appropriate for their level. Plush and Slutskaya did well under this system; maybe not exactly what they wanted, but who can argue w their career achievements?

At the end of the day, this seems to support Flyfly's argument to a pt. Skaters have been hugely successful while falling short in jumps, figs, and/or in-betweens, but they missed the big prize. OTOH, Shuba won Olys by having great figs, something the audience did not understand. Even the premise of Ice Castles was based on a great FS skater who did not have the right mix of skills in figs. This is more apparent in the novel than the movie.

Kay
    www.skatejournal.com

11. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

There was a novel?

12. kayskate

kayskate New Member

You bet there was a novel even a photonovel. Check out listings on amazon or ebay. You can probably get a copy for 1$. it's a fun read.

Kay

13. daisies

daisies New Member

FYI, the novel was based on the screenplay, not the other way around.

14. Firefly123

Firefly123 New Member

I had thought if I did something like this.....(besides possibly looking kind of jerky to the other skaters) :( ...I might get banned from the USFS or in some way disciplined. I guess a lot of rinks require the card to be on the ice, or at least require you not to be in "bad standing." I don't want to loose my practice rinks because the USFS is angry with me. I realize I can push them so far, but at the end of the day, they are the head organization and the rinks/clubs etc. "belong" to them, so to speak. (Kind of like a passive-agressive thing with a parent. You can push them, but it is their house. As my mother used to remind me a lot. ;) ) :wall:

I had thought of doing something like this in a different way....

Put in a real effort for, say, a year or so and see where I get with the MITF. Then if I hit a wall :wall: say, at Gold Level or so, (hopefully, I can get that far if I try. Even though there is a lower passing average, there are now twizzles on the Intermediate test). :( So, when I hit the wall I will put together a routine and skate it and get hammered for "illegal content" and/or lack of artistic elements. Of course, I will come in last but as I said that honestly doesn't bother me. :)

The problem is I'm sure I will be "spoken to" by a judge/official. Maybe they will let me "slide" the first few meets, but after that:

a) They might become nasty.
    b) Could they ban me/take some sort of action against me for "bad sportsmanship," basicaly for not following the rules???? :confused:

Also, like I said I might look jerky to my competitors. :( But adults tend to be a small group. Most are probably on this board anyways (so they probably "get it"). :)

15. sk8lady

sk8lady New Member

No offense, but I think you are overestimating the impact anything you do will have on the USFS! All you will get from judges will be a number on a sheet. The people running the competition, or competing against you, would be the ones who might be annoyed. The USFS--and the PSA--really has a much stronger stake, and therefore interest, in up and coming young skaters who might go on to the national level than in adult skaters. The USFS is not going to ban you unless you hire someone to wallop your competitor on the knee with a baton.

16. Firefly123

Firefly123 New Member

Do you think they do anything other than yell at me and/or ask me to leave the rink and ban me from future invitationals at their rinks?

I doubt competitors would be too annoyed as I would defintely come in dead last if I was even allowed finish the program. (I will probably be the first skater to actually receive a negative mark. :lol:) More than likely the music will cut off and I will be asked to exit the floor. At Gold level I might be allowed to continue since they will just assume I got the requirements mixed up (at least for the first few meets.)

Cool. :cool: I just don't want to end up back in the rain on my inlines at the skatepark because no rink will allow me onto their ice. I may be tempted to throw in a few "unallowed" jumps and spins, but I'm certainly not going to wallop anyone. ;)

Is this rule really gone?

Actually, this would not be an issue on roller because there is not a testing structure that requires you to skate at a specific level. You can choose your own level (well, up to Sophomore which is their version of Novice). Group A is for "beginners" and Group B is "competitive." If you chose to skate Sophomore B with single jumps and upright spins (instead of A) then good luck. :lol: The embarrassment is your own. :eek: The point is, no one tells you that you are not allowed to do so. You can if you want to. Also, there is very little by way of "program requirements" at least until you get up to Junior/Senior level. If you are a good spinner like Skittl and Kay then build your program around spins. If you are a good jumper (like me) then throw in a lot of jumps and long combinations. (Theoretically, the program is supposed to be "well-balanced and relate to the music" but that leaves quite a bit of leeway.) ;) Of course, this allows skaters to develop "uneven skills" but roller uses the judging system to weed out the skaters who are too unevenly developed (after Sophomore, the skater must place at Regionals to advance to Junior and Juniors must place at Regionals to advance to Senior. Only Seniors represent the US at international competitions). So roller self-regulates in this way while ice uses the testing structure.

17. Skittl1321

Not quite yet, since the rulebook has not been revised- I think only the "emergency" things are in effect at the end of Governing Council. But it has been striken by the governing council, so when the new rulebook comes out, it will be gone.

hahaha. Kay could spin circles around me. I'm just good for a beginner adult. Based on her journal, she's good for a skater.

18. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Yeah, really. :lol: Firefly, you might want to seek some professional help, seriously - you have grandiose opinions of yourself and seem to enjoy being antagonistic and oppositional. :rolleyes:

If you want to show up and compete some crazy program, go ahead - what you will accomplish is alienating the other adult skaters who might otherwise want to be your friends. I can pretty much guarantee that USFS is not going to care what you do - as sk8lady said, they've got more important things to worry about than some crazy adult skater, and so does the Adult Committee. They're just going to write you off as a nutcase (and as an example of why adult skating needs its current rules).

The non-emergency rule changes passed at Governing Council go into effect on Sept 1, but most summer comps will use the new season's rules, so it will essentially be in effect before then.

Stormy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Firefly123

Firefly123 New Member

Firefly laughing. :lol: Wasn't sure how much power they had and if they could/would bother banning certain individuals. All figure skating ice seems to be under their contol. Without that ice I will be stuck practicing at the skatepark. If you knew the skatepark then you'd understand that my fear is justified. ;)

A General Rule in Life (especially for us borderline personality egotistical passive agressive neurotic rebels): Best to know how far you can push things before you start pushing (or you can push yourself right off a cliff.) :duh:

20. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

The first time you do this, anyone who hasn't been reading your online threads and doesn't know you've been talking about this doing this will just assume you're clueless and don't know what you're doing. They might think you made a stupid choice not to read the rules and work with a coach.

If you do it repeatedly at competitions where the same adult competitors, officials, and/or local organizing committee members are involved, those people would probably realize that you're doing it on purpose. So would anyone who connects your behavior in competition with your posts on these boards.

Maybe you would get disqualified from the event if you break its rules sufficiently. If they realize that you're competing at the wrong test level before the event starts, they might not let you skate.

It's highly unlikely that there will be any high-ranking USFS officials involved in a local event. Maybe a couple of judges with national competition or referee appointments. Chances are no one on the committees relevant to the rules you want to challenge.

The high-ranking USFS officers and the majority of members who contribute to decisions at Governing Council will have no idea who you are or what your little statement was at this local event.

You might feel better about making your statement, but you might not be be sending a message to anyone but yourself.

Ask yourself:

Do you want to be part of the adult figure skating community?

If so, recognize that
    *all adults have challenges (physical, financial, geographic, etc.) to deal with
    *everyone has different favorite and least favorite skills that may or may not fit into the competition and test structures that are designed to group competitors into meaningful levels with similar skill sets
    *everyone has different backgrounds in terms of what rules and test structures they learned to skate under and what off-ice skills they bring to skating

Most adult skaters have head starts in one area and a lot of ground to make up in others. If they want to compete, they have to work through the process.

The sport is run by volunteers and structured to meet the needs of the majority.

If you want to compete in the sport of figure skating, you need to work through the process.

Take the tests, enter competitions at the appropriate levels and don't break too many rules, make friends, get involved with your local club,
    and work develop an event at a local competition that would allow room for you to compete the skills you like best against other skaters with similar skills.

If you don't care about the adult community and just want to enter an event where you can do double jumps with advanced-beginner skating skills, test through Prejuvenile and enter a Prejuvenile or Open Juvenile event where you can compete against teenagers with similar skill sets.

The sport of figure skating is the sport of figure skating. There are and historically have been different disciplines focusing on the art of skating perfect circles (school figures), the art of drawing complex patterns on the ice with blades (special figures), the art of skating complex programs to music with highlight moves such as jumps and spins connected by complex skating (freestyle), the art of two skaters skating complex programs with highlights such as lifts, death spirals, and side-by-side or intertwined freestyle moves linked together with complex skating (pair skating), the art of two skaters in physical contact translating ballroom or more recently theatrical styles of dance to music onto the ice through skating skills (ice dance), the art of many skaters creating complex skating on the ice in physical contact (synchronized skating), etc.

In all of those disciplines, the actual skating is paramount. In none of them, not even singles and pairs freestyle, is there an important event for highlight tricks only with actual skating irrelevant. At best there are little fluff jump, spin, or compulsory moves events that are sometimes held for fun at club competitions.

It sounds as though you're only interested in jumps and spins, that you have no interest in actual skating.

If jumps and spins are all you're interested, there is not a discipline for you in the sport of figure skating. Sorry, but there's no place in figure skating for people who don't want to figure skate.

If you're willing to work on your skating and share your frustrations with others who also struggle with some skills, you'll be welcome.

Stormy and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Firefly123

Firefly123 New Member

You do bring up an interesting point. With all the disciplines within "figure" skating there is nothing at all that just hilights jumps and spins except (as you mentioned "fluf events" that aren't ment to be taken seriously.

Well.... if you notice, they kind of took the figures out (at least at an "official" level). So "figure" skating is a bit of a misnomer nowadays. And if the name of the sport can be tweaked (as it seems it can be) ....I say we do the same for the "skating" part as well.... To quote Julliet, "What's in a name?"

And, of course, for people who don't want to do the "tricks" (jumps & sins) they have a discipline called dance.

For limited tricks but heavy skating skills you have theatrical (showcase).

But for nothing for heavy tricks but limited/no "skating" skills. (And I don't mean that these people don't have skating skills. It's obvious that you need a certain degree of "skating" tallent to do decent tricks. :duh: But chatows in both directions and twizzles in both directions.):rolleyes: ....Um.....Seems like a "trick" catagory would be a fairly relevant catagory. So why no catagory?

This all Begs the Question: What, exactly, does "figure" skating fear (and I do smell fear) about letting people just do tricks (and dumping the corresponding twizzles in both directions)....That the flashy tricks will overshadow the acutal "beautiful" edgework and eventually that (the tricks) is all people will want to see and/or do? (At ice shows the non-skaters are usually not there to just watch the ice dancers. Most of them do want to see the tricks because they are flashy.)

And no, I can't start my own event. You know very well that is exactly like a mom crossing her arms over her chest and telling her 10 year-old daughter she can either follow her rules or move out and get her own place.

And the fact remains, you can (and will);) tell me I'm wrong all day long.....But not wanting an event for only tricks and not removing the MITF or allowing them to be elective.....On some level you (the powers that be in "iceland") are scared of something. (I'm just not sure what it is.) :confused:

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  22. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Well, let's just call it ice skating then.

Or freestyle skating for the discipline that involves jumps, spins, spirals, steps, edge work, etc.

The skating is still the basis.

A sport of ice jumps and ice spins with no skating would still not be part of ice skating.

Ice dance has a lot more restrictions than just not doing jumps and s(p)ins.

You have to skate to certain kinds of music. If you're doing compulsory dance you have to do specific steps.

If you're doing free dance you have to do lifts and twizzles and dance spins . . . which means you need a partner of the opposite sex and compatible body size.

Someone who wants to do only edges and steps on the ice and doesn't want to skate to music no longer has a discipline to compete in either.

Someone who doesn't want to do jumps or spins and doesn't want skate with a partner (or can't find a suitable one) doesn't have an elite discipline to aspire to either. Solo dance and artistic/interpretive are still pretty much fluff events too.

There isn't really a current event for pure skating technique without tricks for solo skaters. Some club comps offer MITF events or footwork events, on par with a jump or spin or compulsory moves event.

Still new and and fluffy. It exists because people who wanted to do it built it. If enough people want to do only tricks, they can build that.

But showcase or theatre on ice doesn't require heavy skating skills. A lot of participants put more effort into the costumes and the acting or music expression than into the actual skating. The skating powers-that-be don't want to see ("fear") events that are all about props and costumes and upper-body expression and not about skating skills. The events that allow this have come into existence because there's a demand for it, but they will never be part of the sport as sport, especially at the elite level.

That's what pro skating is for. Or was. Not part of the sport.

There are fluff categories for this at club competitions.

Most skaters who learn to jump and spin on ice learn to skate on ice at the same time. Even if they're much better at and much more interested in the tricks, they learn the minimum skating skills along with the tricks.

You are an exception. There are only a handful of skaters involved in the sport who are 1) adults, and 2) able to do double jumps but not able or willing to pass the gold or intermediate tests, 3) same sex and comparable age.

Most adult skaters who want to participate in the sport with double jumps either already have at least mid-level skating skills and tests to prove it from when they were younger, or else they are willing to work on their skating skills at the same time they work on their jumps, even if they like the jumps better.

So the existing competition categories are designed to accommodate the existing skaters, and newcomers to the sport need to plan their training to fit those categories.

When they're already active in the existing sport and part of the community, they can also work from within to expand the offerings to include new events, if there are enough other skaters interested in participating in such events..

Competition levels are divided by skating skill (because even freestyle skating is primarily a skating contest) and also subdivided by age as appropriate. These divisions are intended to make the competitions as fair as possible for the participants.

The jump content for the various levels and age groups has limits or requirements to try to keep each competition meaningful and on a relatively even playing field.

It's a lot easier to subdivide groups into very similar skill sets and age groups when there are huge numbers of skaters at that level. E.g., there are thousands of prepreliminary-level girls in the US. There might be several dozen entering any given nonqual competition. So the event can be divided into age groups so that 7-year-olds don't have to compete against teenagers
    and into high (axel allowed) and low (no axel) events, and now there's also a "test track" event with stricter jump and spin limits.

There are much fewer boys who skate, so if even two boys sign up for a prepreliminary event at the same competition they may have to compete against each other even if one is 7 and the other is 17 and one has passed the tests and has an axel and the other is "skating up." Otherwise they'd have no event.

When there are very few skaters at a given age and skill set, it's harder to make meaningful groupings.

There are a few hundred adult women in the US who can pass the bronze or silver MITF and can do most single jumps. So there are events for these skaters that do (silver) and don't (bronze) allow axels and that may be divided by age when there are enough entries.

There are much fewer adult men at any level. Like boys, they have to plan which events to enter even to find competitors. And age groups will likely be combined.

There are almost no adults who can pass the bronze or silver moves but no higher and can also do double jumps. You're one of a very small handful. The others might be many years younger. They might be male. They might live 3000 miles away from you. There just isn't a demand for an adult event at that skill level.

That's why I think that if you want to compete with your current skill set and minimal test requirements, you should compete in Open Juvenile where doubles are allowed and at least you'd be guaranteed that all the competitors are over 13.

I don't think it's fear so much as maintaining standards and maintaining the identity of the sport. Skating competitions are about skating.

They don't want a sport that's all gymnastics on ice, because that would be a different sport -- it wouldn't be skating.

23. daisies

daisies New Member

"Might"? Sorry to break it to you, but mission already accomplished.

I hereby nominate gkelly for sainthood. I can only aspire to such patience.

24. Firefly123

Firefly123 New Member

Wouldn't it self-regulate, though? I mean if you let the MITF requirement drop for freestyle (and just let skaters take the USFS freestyle tests to gauge their "correct" level,) but kept the competition requirements for a well balanced program with transitions and step /spiral sequences intact, then as many posters pointed out, a skater who did not bother with MITF and only loaded up on jumps and spins while ignoring the rest would be slammed to the ground by the judges. (Well, unless they were carrying a full set of flawless quads including axel under the ISJ. :lol:)

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  25. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

I am usually a very nice, very patient person. People on this board have done their very best to be helpful to you, but all you continue to do is complain, complain, complain. I think the only thing left is for someone to put it in black on white terms for you: if you don't like the rules of figure skating, then don't participate! It's that simple! I can't understand why you are so determined to compete when you know will get slammed for having zero actual skating in your program, anyways. Why not just do club exhibitions/ shows if all you want to do is show off your jumps and spins? Your complete lack of respect for people who actually want to help you, such as people on this board and coaches who would be happy to teach you (if you remotely had a good attitude), is astounding.

skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Firefly123

Firefly123 New Member

Going to stop now before this gets locked. Probably will anyway as people continue to bash me.

But I really do think that if you remove MITF, the system would self regulate due to the fact that MITF are so prevailent in the judging standards for the freestyle events. Anyone who ignored edges/transitions would automatically be marked down for it. That is a fact, not an argument or a complaint. It's just a fact.

OK end of my posting onto this thread. Whoever wants it locked up. Keep bashing me. :rolleyes:

27. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Your "fact" is wrong. What you want will not happen. Period. Had you been willing to listen to everyone here, and on Skatingforums, and on the Yahoo group, it wouldn't have gotten this far. But you continue to whine, complain and think yours is the only opinion that matters. When you were competing roller and someone came into your sport and demanded the rules changed because they didn't like them wouldn't you have been offended? Take what we all said as "bashing" if you want, sorry if you don't like hearing that your "facts" are wrong.

28. Skittl1321

I don't think the system would self regulate. It didn't after figures were dropped, and USFSA introduced MITF to help skaters keep those skills.

I don't think it's a fact, like you state. It's your best guess. My guess is different. Neither is fact.

29. daisies

daisies New Member

Someone upthread suggested you seek professional help. I don't think that was a bash. You exhibit clear signs of narcissism, and it's not too late to address them. Good luck.

30. sk8lady

sk8lady New Member

"Well.... if you notice, they kind of took the figures out (at least at an "official" level)."

Actually, figures are gradually being added back into the MITF and will be required at a variety of levels starting Sept. 1.

One of the reasons the MITF are being repeatedly tweaked is because folks on that committee, like Janet Champion, would really like to see kids working hard on the skills required by MITF and taking longer with them. At the last PSA conference I went to, figures were repeatedly referred to as a way to help install higher quality necessary skills in high-level young skaters.

IMO, if you removed the requirement for MITF and didn't replace them with figures, you'd have a bunch of kids seriously injuring themselves jumping so young that you'd make the pool of national contenders a lot smaller. At least requiring MITFs slow kids' progress down a little and requires them to have some basic technique. One of the guys at my rink, who is self-taught, can do doubles but can't find an edge to save his life, so he doesn't test or compete.

And I second this! You must be a therapist in the real world!! gkelly, you are the MAN! (or WOMAN, I guess!)