Skating to Les Miserable

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

With the movie about to be released, I am remembering a lot of skaters that skated to Les Miserable. The most recent one seems to be Yu na Kim, and I think she will do great once the program has developed. I did not want to set up a poll with this, because many of the skates to this music are quite old, and not so familiar.

Others that I liked (I will look for yt links later; can't do it at work):

A young Michelle Kwan skating an exhibition to LM- may be 1996?

Paul Wylie - pro

I think Katarina Witt skated to it as a pro.

Nicole Bobek had an LP to a LM medley sometime around 1993.

For some reason I can't think of any pairs or dance teams skating to this. I am sure there are some.

I hope the movie will inspire many of today's skaters to skate to LM.
  2. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

MK skated her Les Mis exhibition (On My Own) in the summer of 97 through winter of 98.

If you watch U.S. Nationals next month, you'll probably see quite a few. ;) I think I saw 3 Les Mis programs at Liberty this summer.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Of course I will watch the US nationals, but I am not going to Omaha, so I am going to depend on our networks to show the skating. Unless it's a relatively top skater, we may not see many on TV. I am almost tempted to go to Omaha, but I have an important meeting on Jan. 26th, and it will be tough to cancel it.
  4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Todd won World bronze with his LP to LM. Sydney Vogel (sp?) also used this music.

I don't remember Paul's LM program as one of his more memorable programs. I think he was much better with the song from Jekyll & Hyde.

I hope LM isn't becoming the new Malaguena.
  5. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Pechalat/Bourzat skated to Les Mis in 2006. I remember at the Olympics she was wearing a headband that slipped down and covered her eyes!
  6. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Two U.S. skaters, Brittany McConn and Laney Diggs skated to it. They are two of my fav performances, I'll see if I can find a link.
  7. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch in 2011 :)
  8. darya_russian

darya_russian Active Member

Todd Eldredge also had an SP to Les Miserebles in 1997/98, and also two exhibition numbers.

Scott & Dulebohn had a FS, don't remember the year.

Tanja Szewczenko skated a FS in 1995. Also if I'm not mistaken some other lady had a program to Les Miz in the same season.
  9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Jeremy Abbott's Freeskate this year is to Bring Him Home.
  10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I can't believe I forgot this! When I hear that song, I immediately think of Paul Wylie's program (pro) that brought tears to many eyes.
  11. icellist

icellist New Member

I find it sort of ironic that Yuna is skating to Les Mis because that's also the FS music that Min-Jeong Kwak used when she was on her (short) upward trajectory. I really did like parts of Kwak's skate though underrated such as the 2A after the step sequence and spirals/spins.
  12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Laetitia Hubert. (And Sydne Vogel in U.S. juniors.)
  13. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Paul Wylie's "Bring Him Home" was memorable for me because I was privileged to be able to attend the 1997 Carlo Fassi Tribute show in person - here's the link to his performance, one of the high points for me that evening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp4z3-egwZ4
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. darya_russian

darya_russian Active Member

Kurt Browning also skated to Bring Him Home, no?
  15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Kalesevich/Parchem used it back in 2002
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTCnhVrTIyg

Also, I remember Molly Quigley skating in a (very appropriate!) torn-up hem dress with a wanna-be French flag on her chest, that was actually Dutch or at least with the red and blue right next to each other. I'm not sure if that was her singles program or pairs with Cording, though, since she was competing in both at the time.
  16. sequinsgalore

sequinsgalore Member

I remember an american ice dance pair skating to it at Skate America 2011.

Just looked it up: it was Isabella Cannuscio / Ian Lorello (see FD here) who have since split.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  17. honey

honey Member

Yes! He's performed this a number of times over the years. The earliest I remember is 1990. During a CSOI in 1993ish he performed this with Michael Burgess singing live and it is one of my very favorite performances ever.

Hough/Ladret 1992 LP was les mis. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JuzRQUy3lk8

On My Own has been skated to many times in exhibitions. Midori Ito's 2nd number in Albertville was On My Own. Josee Chouinard also used this piece in 1992 at worlds and on tour. As mentioned Kwan did as well in 1997-1998. There are others too I'm sure, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  18. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Actually, that was Anastasia's sister, Isabella, who skated to Les Mis with Ian Lorello last year. Isabella is now skating with Michael Bramante. They will be at Nats. :)
  19. steve skater

steve skater Member

skatak and (deleted member) like this.
  20. steve skater

steve skater Member

21. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

22. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I remember it now- she had a pink dress on. I have it on a very old VHS tape that is not very clear now.
  23. floskate

floskate Vacant

Ito first skated to On My Own at the gala for the 1989 NHK IIRC. She was wearing a white leotard with long white netted skirt, almost like something out of Act 2 of Giselle. Never got the costume but I remember the Eurosport commentators saying she was 'showing a lot more artistry' in that program.
  24. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

25. JockProf

JockProf New Member

26. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member