Skating to Holst's Planet suite

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I went to a concert tonight, where the Phoenix Symphony played the Planet suite by Holst. At the same time they projected on a screen above the orchestra, digital images of the planets, obtained from NASA. It was great. It also made me think of past skates to the Planets.

I love Usova-Zhulin's skate to 'Mars' at the 1989 world championships
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FqoMaxsX8&playnext=1&list=PLDDDD479091864233&feature=results_main

Babilonia - Gardner had used Mars as part of their 1979 worlds LP, which won them the championship.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=261ABYNWBJw

I was wondering who else had skated to music from Planets, and not just Mars. I think Mao Asada skated to Jupiter, if I remember correct.

4CC exhibition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsf31viaYlo

Fumie Suguri skating to Jupiter:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI77svgX-qM

Torville-Dean (skating to Venus)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps_vdkG7Ns4

2. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

Lar Lubovitch choreographed The Planets for broadcast on the cable channel A&E in the mid-1990s. Here's an excerpt.

3. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I *think* I caught this broadcast once, and wish I could see it again. IIRC, Brian Orser skated in it?

4. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

You're right, Orser plays "Mercury, the winged messenger". The main characters are played by Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay, and the members of the Canadian National Ballet (among them Sonia Rodriguez, who's Kurt Browning's wife, as "Venus").
    It's fantastic, featuring skating, ballet, synchronized skating and even synchronized swimming (scenes filmed under water).
    I can't watch it on youtube any longer, it's blockes in my country, but I watched it on TV back in '94 (or '95?).

5. Vash01

Sounds very interesting. I hope I can find a yt.

In the meantime, I remember that at the 1988 Olympics there was a 'fours' (2 pairs) exhibition skated to Jupiter, but I can't find the yt link.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Vash01

Has anyone used the Uranus music? It sounds so familiar that I thought it must have been a FS program sometime, but may be I was just listening to my CD many times. :)

The Planet suite could create a really good pairs LP, with Mars to begin and end, and Jupiter in the middle/slow section, OR

Use Mars for the first 1/3 of the program, and Jupiter rest of the way.

I also like Mercury and Uranus. There could be so many skatable combinations.

8. skating is fun

skating is fun Member

9. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

My one egotistical regret of Jeremy Abbott's career is not his performance at any competition, but that he chose not to continue with Holst/ Tom Dickson program in 2009/2010 season. The change led to a glorious Saint- Saens LP at Nationals, but to me, his first program promised to be epic
    http://youtu.be/KR2hYaYc5KY
    This is complex and yet joyful music, and Jeremy is such a musician, his timing is impeccable even so early in the season at DuPage, and the program allows for freedom, speed and expression. I love Holst's Jupiter, and think the music suits Jeremy to a "t". Oh well... it fun to see that last minute.

10. paskatefan

Thanks for all the info on "The Planets" from the mid 1990's. My personal favorite part of the entire audio recording is Jupiter (re: skating - Fumie's program is my favorite program of her, ever, love her costume for it too). A question for the Brits here. Aren't there lyrics for Jupiter that have been incorporated into "I Vow to Thee, My Country?" Beautiful anthem/hymn (not sure what you would call it), but it is very moving music & lyrics.

11. skatesindreams

12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks, I don't recall ever seeing the Torvill/ Dean showcase program to Venus. It was also great to see Tai & Randy's 1979 U.S. Nationals fp, as it's the Worlds fp that is remembered most.

Usova and Zhulin are just so fantastic in their debut Worlds performance to Mars. Boy they were a great team who just had the misfortune of competing against perennial winners Klimova/ Ponomarenko (and during a time of very competitive ice dance teams). U/Z should surely have won more than one Worlds.

Thanks again for reflecting on Holst's Planets. :)

13. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Ohhh, Mao! Such heartfelt emotion and lovely, lyrical skating. Thanks for posting. :)

Thanks for that clip, even short as it is. I wonder why Jeremy switched to a different free program for 2009-2010? Maybe he should revisit it for the Olympic season? :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  14. paskatefan

Wow! those were gorgeous! One more question - any idea who's singing "I Vow to Thee My Country" in these performances?

15. Vash01

paskate, thanks for the PM. I could not figure out how to do a reply to a 'visitor message'.

16. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Fantastic thread! thank you!

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. skatesindreams

Music : Jupiter - I vow to thee my country by Libera

18. paskatefan

^ Thanks! :encore:

19. skatesindreams

20. Vash01

I mentioned this but could not find the link. Thanks for posting.

21. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

My understanding is that he left Colorado Springs that season, and thus could not work with Dickson on a regular basis. That is a very complex choreo to deal with without choreographer on hand, and Jeremy did not feel comfortable with it.