Skating to Beethoven

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Surprisingly, not many skaters have skated to Beethoven's music. However, the most famous one has to be 'Moonlight Sonata' by Gordeeva-Grinkov at the 1994 Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pScMmrR2QUE

Michael Weiss skated to Beethoven, and in this performance at the US nationals he almost landed a quad lutz. He had a slight two-foot, so it was not ratified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss8T7aGr9ZI

Sasha Cohen skated to Moonlight Sonata (US Nationals LP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aryG1Pr8jWE

Josee Chouinard skating to Moonlight Sonata (Pro)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0fCHRoj0sw

Plushenko skated a 2004 worlds ex to Beethoven's 5th symphony being played by Edvin Marton (skating begins at 1:20 min mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOBMY_aCR-k

Midori Ito at the 1991 Japanese nationals (first part is Beethoven; slow section is Rachmaninoff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTVUH3lkjds

2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Didn't Brian Joubert do a Beethoven program, with part of it being an instrumental version of "Ode to Joy" from the 9th Symphony?

I *think* Fumie skatied to "Moonlight Sonata"@ some point.

BTW, I have the Michelle Kwan SLC snowglobe from 2002. The music is "Fur Elise." To my knowledge, I don't recall if she ever skated to that. :lol:

3. munow

munow New Member

More skaters should skate to more Beethoven, other than Moonlight Sonata. :)

4. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I never thought Beethoven was the best musical choice for Sasha, but it could have been a lovely program had she not been thrown off a little by the mistakes.

Off topic, but does Sandra Bezic know how insulting she can sound?

"You can't expect the fairytale to come true and just step on the ice at the national level and be perfect. Without practice you can't do it."

I think the use of the phrase "without practice" sounds intentionally mean considering how much practice went into that performance. It may not be the competitive practice Sandra intended to refer to, but so much work went into that. If Sandra meant practice before judges, Sandra herself should practice her commentary to better convey what she means. A professional commentator would prepare words carefully.

5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Joubert's 2010-11 LP was indeed to selections from Beethoven's 9th symphony; David Wilson was the choreographer. Here is the Euros performance of the program, which moved him from 7th after the SP to 2nd place overall.

Two seasons before that, another Frenchman skated to Beethoven, though the music was rather unfortunately rearranged for Yannick Ponsero's "Ice 5".

There are some other examples of skaters who performed to Beethoven music in the classical music thread.

6. umronnie

umronnie Well-Known Member

A/P's FD in 2000/01 was "Beethoven's Last Night". I couldn't find a nice quality clip for it, they all had dreadful sound.

7. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Alexis Winston - A Fifth Of Beethoven :D

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I saw it live, at the 2001 worlds, but somehow I did not think of it as skating to Beethoven.

10. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

11. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I don't have the link, but Virtue/Moir skated an exhibition to Beethoven's Sonata #5, "Spring."

12. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I have a thing about Beethoven's trios and quartets....I think they would make a lovely choice for a skater whose style was refined and artistic.

13. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

14. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

My favourite Fumie programme was her Moonlight Sonata of 01/02. Oh and maybe her Carmen.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

There are quite a few "Hooked on Classics"-type or techno versions of Beethoven's fifth symphony (links already provided by others). But yeah, I find it astounding that more Beethoven isn't used. There's some wonderful :drama: there.

16. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

G&G's Moonlight Sonata program is my favourite by far

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  17. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  18. lala

lala Well-Known Member

yes, fantastic!!!

19. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

would it be because it was the TSO versions of Beethoven pieces?

20. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

22. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this - Beethoven's 7th is my favourite classical piece of all time and I wish more skaters used it. The only other ones I know of are Kazakhstan ice dancers Stekolnikova & Fitzgerald in 1999 and the Beiers had it as part of their FD in 2010. I was hoping that more skaters would use it after it was in The King's Speech, but no such luck. A team like Weaver & Poje could do a beautiful free dance with that music.

23. sadya

sadya Active Member

24. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

A true classic.... They seem to really embody the score for me... Everyone else just skates to the fab music ;)

25. sadya

sadya Active Member

^
    It's my favourite competitive program by G&G.