Skating 'queen' Kim set to return (Threads merged)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

2. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

Yuna is back and her bots are back too !
  3. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

"Jewgeni Plusheko"? I've never seen anyone else ever call him this.

Has anyone actually seen what Yuna can do now? How many comeback skaters say that they aren't competitive any longer? She says 80% of Vancouver...she can say whatever percentage she wants but until she competes neither she nor anyone else really knows. And the fact that she didn't UR or that she did great 3/3's almost 3 yrs ago doesn't mean squat now. But good for Dortmund that she sold some tickets for them.
  4. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

What a way to ruin the amicable air. Granted, they go overboard sometimes, but comments like this really make Yuna fans unwelcome here. Even when there have been no OTT, 'bot'-like comments here.

True. This weekend will be really interesting for many aspects!
  5. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

It will be the transliteration from Cyrillic to the German as it's a German newspaper article - if you pronounce the "j" and the "w" as you would in German you get Yevgeni.
  6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

let's keep the racial slurs out of this, mkay? :rolleyes:
  7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Exactly. It might be the same as in Polish. It looks like a slur to English-speakers, but it's standard spelling in other languages.
  8. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Are you being at all realistic? It's FSU and you want "nice" LOL!
    l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  9. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Good that she's getting in a few competitions before Four Continents and Worlds. I remember thinking when Kim skated in Moscow, how she was a little rusty.
  10. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Well, "comebacks" always make me sad. I saw Yu-Na win her World Title in Los Angeles. Stunning! I was amazed and awed by her performances in Vancouver.

That being said, here is what makes me sad. They can't come back. Is there a single skater, and OGM winner who has "come back"? Especially Yu-na. Don't get me wrong, I would love to watch her skate again. What went into creating the skater who put together those two winning performances IMHO, cannot be duplicated. Yu-Na lived in a bubble, and was totally focused, and completely relieved of any other responsibilities. Now she has had a couple of years of being a normal human (albeit a very wealthy and revered woman).....I don't think it is possible to return and/or re-create who you were or how you got there. It is that "How you going to keep 'em down on the farm.........."

It is one thing to be devoid of the normal freedom of life when you know nothing else....but I think it is way too hard to shut it off and out once you have experienced it.

Hope I am wrong. Because I hate it when a sports figure stays too long at the fair, or tries to compete after they should.
  11. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

If you haven't seen any "bot-like" comments it's because you haven't read the whole thread. But I've never seen anything to make me think that Yuna-FANS aren't welcomed here.
  12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Plushenko came back, after being away 3.5 years, and won the Olympic silver (just missed the OGM), at aage 27!

Yu na is not that old. She can make a comeback, after being away for just 2 seasons.
  13. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I didn't get the hype with her either, I always preferred Mao. That being said, she is a world and Olympic champion, so if she is up to her old standards, she is in the mix for sure. Good luck to her becuase that means more drama for the rest of us!!!! :D
  14. naan

naan New Member

With Yuna haters and some other bots... :shuffle:

From NRW facebook page
  15. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

EYS. Not to mention it's really more like a break of just 1 or 1.5 seasons for Yuna given that her last comp was 2011 Worlds, sat out 2012 Worlds, and has been quietly getting back up to speed over Fall 2012.

Also, given the lack of depth in ladies' skating today and the fact that the other main contenders aren't really pushing the envelope, Yuna would easily do well even if she gets back to only 90% of her Vancouver abilities (she says she's 80% now).
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  16. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Those are reasonable concerns.

Before making the return, Yu-Na said on several occasions that she was hesitant because she couldn’t enjoy the pressure coming from the huge expectations and that she wasn’t sure if she could go back to the monotone life bared down to repetitions, endurance and determination (though IMO this part was sort of self-inflicted by her own damned work ethic). In making the comeback announcement she said, bottom line, she would be regretful later in her life if she quit at a young, eligible age. I thought that made a lot of sense.

Yesterday, she said she had set her mind to lower her own expectation, and that made her relaxed more and her training more enjoyable. That’s a good sign, and it feels that she will follow up until Sochi. In a similar context, all these doubts (about the prospect of her repeat) would be actually relieving to her, my guess. She may not win them all like before, but it’s likely she will be fairly successful with her comeback if she stay healthy (knock, knock). Seeing her competitive programs for two more seasons is just a huge bonus for the fans like me and for the sport IMO, whether she’s winning or not. :)
  17. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

Well said, lowtherlore. :)

Because Yuna lowered her own expectation, I as a fan would lower expectation though being difficult.
    I would enjoy her extended career like as a gift.
  18. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

And why would she need a team of nine to come to the rink with her? :confused:

Perhaps:

1 coach
    1 choreographer
    1 hair stylist
    1 make-up artist
    1 costume person
    1 photographer
    2 bodyguards
    1 sports psychologist
  19. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Makeup artist, hair stylist, photographer? What kind of person do you take Yuna for?

Two coaches,
    her agent,
    a couple of translaters,
    her physical therapist,
    one federation personnel,
    two other Korean skaters who are competing at NRW trophy,
    and Yuna herself.

I might be wrong but that is pretty much what you would expect for Yuna with eight companies.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  20. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

A
    Hey thanks for the great post. iI feel better now. I will it will be thrilling to watch. And I think this will help me enjoy it as a gift Nd not a sttuggle
  21. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Gosh, some of you just can’t get positive and reasonable. You just can’t waste any opportunity to put a negative slant on her personality, can you? Yu-Na is a reasonable, down-to-earth person just like any of us, maybe except you.

If I bother to go into details, she will be accompanied by two of her fellow Korean skaters including Jin-Seo Kim (who’s also participating in the event), an international judge representing KSF at the event, some officials, her manager, and the coaches of the athletes including two of hers. And FYI she does her own makeup and hairdo.

Lighten up, and enjoy her return. Like many of us here.
    os168 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

23. os168

os168 Active Member

Wow you are obsessed, can't believe you bothered to type it all out. Perhaps you got her mixed up with some other skaters you are more familiar with Japanfan. Let's just watch the skating shall we?
  24. a56

a56 New Member

Do you really need to insult the fans of skaters you don't like, bot? If you don't like a skater, which is perfectly fine, just don't post any comments there. Too difficult to understand?
  25. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Are you folks on the same message board. Standard FSU practice is to trash skaters you don't like. That is how you make skaters you do like look better.

Does it work? No

But it is not worth fighting. Either learn to ignore or use the ignore poster feature.
  26. icellist

icellist New Member

I believe part of the group are the two other Korean skaters.

Korean event coordinator
    2 Coaches (Yuna and Hojung share the same coach)
    3 skaters
    Stylist
    Bodyguard
    +other?
  27. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Calm down folks, it was just a joke. In my view the OP on an entourage of nine was rather tongue in cheek as well.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  28. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Yu-Na's SP skating order: 31st (1st of Group 6). She will be on the ice around 15:10 (ECT, GMT+1) Saturday.

SBS and Fuji TV will cover it.
  29. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

30. eyh201

eyh201 New Member

Her entourage includes...

2 coaches (Shin Hye-sook & Ryu Jong-hyeon)
    1 physiotherapist
    1 director of her agency
    2 Korean skaters including Jin-Seo Kim
    1 her mom
    1 someone I don't know
  31. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

^ Thanks for clearing that up! Looks like Ho-Jung Lee dropped out of entry though.. hope it's not another injury.
  32. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

33. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

34. Shaia

Shaia New Member

What an unbelievable performance after all that time off!! The music a bit hard to get into at first, but her jumps, dress, spins and choreography are just beautiful!! Good job!!!!
  35. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

I don't love the music but fantastic comeback performance! WOW! Lovely dress too.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  36. apatinar

apatinar New Member

Ashley Wagner had better get that triple triple together to have any shot against Yu-Na!
  37. naan

naan New Member

Wow, what a comeback! I really missed her skating! Everything was gorgeous! - huge jumps, lovely dress, choreography, music, and most of all, her skating! :swoon:
  38. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! :kickass:

She honestly hasn't lost a thing, to come back and land a beautiful 3/3 like that is only comparable to Zhenya's comeback imho, when he landed a quad his first time out after being away for 3 years. I bow to the both of them.

Once again she's the one to beat, and rightfully so, she has it all. I haven't seen a female Olympic champion of this calibre since Oksana Baiul, whom also had it all, and more ~ presentation, artistry, charm, jumps, et al.

Here's hoping she becomes only the second female Olympic figure skater to repeat; the first being Katarina Witt. And if she stays in for the long haul I can honestly see her tieing Sonja Henie for the most gold medals ever won by a female figure skater at the Olympics *ever*! :cool:
  39. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

After watching her skating today, *some* skaters must have been very disappointed by her strong skills and artistry.
  40. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I wish she had a more dramatic costume and makeup to go with that music. She looks so delicate and feminine when she steps on the ice and then she skates to that dark heavy music, it seems a little jarring. I think that is why some people say they can't get into the music. The choreography looks fine to me and she skates it well. I like a little drama on the ice.