Skating 'queen' Kim set to return (Threads merged)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.16a6e795ea157b6f881d44a190c02852.8a1
    SEOUL — South Korean figure skating star Kim Yu-Na will make her competitive return to the ice in Germany this weekend, ending a break of more than 18 months from the sport, her management agency said.

The reigning Olympic champion, 22, will take part in the NRW Trophy in Dortmund, chasing the points she needs to qualify for next year's world championships in Canada, her agency, All That Sports, said.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Good luck Yuna.

3. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i never really got that hype around yu-na although i see her as an excellent skater (especially clashing into the seniors scene 2006/2007 with great progammes), but i can´t help myself for just being excited and enthusiastic about her return now :lol:

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  4. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I'm in the same boat. I think she benefited from being consistent in 2009-2010 and having a reliable difficult combination in the short and long. She is a good skater and a beautiful girl but I dont get the over hype.

5. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Yay!:encore:

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I don't get the hype over her either (except in Korea, obviously), but Yu na's return will raise the standard of ladies skating overnight.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

8. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Maybe that's where the hype comes from then.

Except I don't think it will. She's been out of it for a while and the gals I saw on the GP circuit were all doing triple-triples and 2X-triple, which you didn't see a few years ago w hen Yuna was winning everything.

9. McIce

McIce New Member

Oh, for sure.

Like, half of them are doing triple toe-triple toe, while 2/3 of the other half had edge calls or under rotation for their 3 lip 3 toe or 3 flutz 3 toe. About 1/6 of those girls/laides had reliable difficult triple combo.

How competitive they are! We should give them more hype!

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This. Kim has never had issues with edge calls or underrotations that a lot of female skaters are struggling with.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

It is the presence of Kim, I think, that all the excitements are coming from. You see someone like Yuna, Carolina, or Joannie compete at the scene, that would add up the excitement all the way, wouldn't it? But it should be also noted that Yuna was the one who settled the winning formula with difficult 3-3s in ladies field during her entire career, and she did it with inarguable artistry combined. What she accomplished on her way to Vancouver was just magic.

12. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

After her breathtaking 3/3, there was little about her skating that excited me. I hope she is prepared to abdicate or be dethroned. I admire, though, her finding the motivation needed to put herself through this when she could well rest on her past laurels, especially when she has said she does not relish competing. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for her to take this risk.

13. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

14. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Thanks for the info, Sugar. I've always liked Yuna; her artistry, style, and impeccable jumps. Looking forward to seeing her again. :)

Thanks, UMBS Go Blue! :)

15. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

16. Vash01

The 3-3's we saw at the GPs were mostly 3t-3t. How many are landing clean 3Lz3t? May be Liza and Adelina, but they don't have the artistry yet, and they are not consistently landing the 3Lz3t either. If Yu na is capable of landing a 3Lz combination (even a 3-2) and land most of the jumps she was landing 2 years ago, she will be tough to beat. She does not have the ur or the edge problems many of her competitors have. Artistically only Mao and Carolina can compete with her, but neither is a strong jumper at this point. Yu na is certainly beatable, but her presence alone will make other skaters try to raise their level of skating.

Also, I don't think she will attempt a comeback if she did not believe that she could win. I don't think she is coming back to win silver or bronze.

17. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Quite a few actually. Not only Liza and Adelina. Julia Lipnitskaia, Gracie Gold, Kostner has 3F-3T, didn't Osmond have it too?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

^ Adelina and Julia are having edge problems, and Carolina hasn't landed 3f-3t in quite a while:(

19. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

At Worlds 2011 Yu-na did not do a 3/3 in the short program. She had one ur at Worlds 2010 and at worlds 2009 she had an edge call in the short as well as in the long and also a ur in the long.

20. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

That *cough*dubious*cough* edge problem was resolved in just one season and who doesn't have URs from time to time when they're off balance in the jumps? It's constant, chronicle URs that becomes the issue for skaters i.e., Mirai and Mao. All in all, I don't get your point here.

21. McIce

McIce New Member

I'm not even talking about if they have any edge calls on any of their jumps (Obviously Gracie Gold got edge calls on 3F at both GPs). Let's just talk about if they have edge calls on their triple triple combination (excluding 3t-3t).

Besides Gracie and Liza, who else has reliable and regularly-used 3-3 (other than 3t-3t)?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  22. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

For NRW Yu-Na is not going to need a 3/3 anyway so long as her spin and step levels are good. This comp is about her getting the TES requirements for Worlds.

23. naan

naan New Member

I think Yuna has one of the best 3-3s - huge(height, distance), great speed, powerful, effortless, consistent and beautiful! I have never seen that gorgeous 3F-3T and 3Lz-3T in ladies.
    She is a great skater with combination of artistry and athleticism. I'm so glad and excited about her comeback! :)

24. Vash01

Kostner did not even compete in the GP this year, and last year she did not have a 3f-3t (it's been a long time since she landed one) or a 3Lz. You are obviously thinking of several years back. Julia and Gracie both had edge calls, and Julia's jumps are quite small compared to Yu na's (and I am not even a Yu na uber).

Every skater is going to have a ur or an edge call occasionally. Yu na is no exception. Most of the time though her jumps are fully rotated and edge calls are rare for her.

25. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Her speed & control were so amazing to watch. Never found her to be super artistic (ducking for cover) but her presentation was plenty good enough.

We'll see what shape she's in, kinda hilarious that she'll be upstaging the GPF. Wonder what the ladies there will have to say about that.

26. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I do think Yuna is one of the most technically proficient skaters ever. I'm happy to see her come back just to raise the standard and push the other ladies.

That said, I have never liked any of Yuna's actual choreography nor her interpretation. She's sort of blank, but like Coco said, her presentation is pleasant enough.

So I guess you can say, I'm happy to see her comeback, but she doesn't raise enough passion in me to get excited about it.

27. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Well, she said before leaving to Dortmund that she's about 80% level in Vancouver. I'm excited to see her skate again.Good luck yuna!

28. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

who is coaching her now? I wish her good luck as well, will certainly add to the drama for the women's skating and nice timing for Sochi.. hope this means we might see her at worlds?

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

30. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

thanks Sylvia :) Les Miz is very timely with the movie coming out at Christmas..