Skating performances with a fun factor.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by krenseby, Jan 9, 2012.

1. krenseby

krenseby New Member

On skating forums, we often tend to discuss the various skills skaters excel at, whether it be jumps, spins, spirals, or edges.

But the one thing that may merit just as much discussion is a skater's ability to show their love of sport.

A skater that goes out there and really has a great time, sparkles with energy, evinces charm, infuses their movements and facial expressions with verve and flair should be celebrated even if their spins travel and their triples are popped and underrotated.

So what performance by a skater or skaters, either in singles, pairs, or dance, struck you as being so full of life and joy that you would love to see it again, again, and again? Oh, it doesn't even have to be a competitive routine. Exhibitions count too.

Also, let's keep in mind, the answers you give could be used to introduce people who aren't familiar with figure skating to the sport. A fun routine makes skating attractive to folks who can't distinguish a double axel from a triple lutz.

gingercat and (deleted member) like this.
  2. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

3. stevlin

stevlin Member

I love Richard Dornbush's new lp. He skates to "Spaghetti western" music from Clint Eastwoods movie "Fist Full of Dollars" and "Ectasy of Gold" from the film "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". Richard looks like he is having a fun time with this program.

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Most skaters these days really don't get out there and have fun. As much as I love skating and I think the top skaters are pretty amazing performers, it has been a while since I have really been entertained.

The sport needs a few more Scott Hamiltons, Kurt Brownings and Christopher Bowmans.

5. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Hands down, Stephanie Rosenthal's 2006 Short program at US Nationals:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnkku5aJzZM :D

I was in the audience, and had a blast, because SHE was THRILLED to be skating that program. You could see it in her face before she even took her beginning post. :)

6. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

P/B's Tarzan gala from last year :D
    Stephan Lambiel did this once and he said he ain't never wanna see that again!

The combination of Scott Hamilton and Kurt Browning. Not so much figure skating as it was more of hockey performance though:p

All of Kurt's galas are precious:respec:

8. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Plushenko's LP at 2010 Euros. Regardless of what you thought of the program, he absolutely rocked that performance of it. Just look at the expression on his face during the straight-line steps! He's loving every second of that performance.

Evgeni Plushenko - LP - Tango Amore

Another one that sounds funny that I like very much is his short program from Salt Lake City. It's almost like he went, "Screw this, I've already ****ed up, I'm going to have some fun now."

Evgeni Plushenko - SP - Michael Jackon Medley

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

10. vodkashot

vodkashot New Member

Aside from the ones already mentioned above, for me:

Stephane Lambiel: http://youtu.be/0EPwnxrY_Nc
    His Let the Good Times Roll is so insanely fun and full of life. There's such a freedom in his skating now that he's retired from competition (and not having to train triple axels).

Akiko Suzuki: http://youtu.be/urnMcbhKjZs
    Akiko has so much HEART to her skating. Her West Side Story is :kickass: even with the random fall.

Daisuke Takahashi: http://youtu.be/44AZQsKGaHc
    I love the whimsical charm and joy of Daisuke's La Strada, and how he really brings the music to life.

Shawn Sawyer: http://youtu.be/Dv2hBOJALYM
    His best performance ever!

11. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Lambiel, Takahashi, and Suzuki are masters of this. :)

12. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

ITA...and while her long was less 'fun' it was just as interesting. She got 100 pts for it with nothing more than 3S and 3T. Programs were innovative and well received by the judges.

I cite both of these programs whenever someone complains that COP sucks the life out of 'artistry'. It's the skaters themselves who are doing it....in partnership with their choreographers.

13. edonice

edonice New Member

14. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  15. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

16. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

17. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

No specific performances stood out to me, but both Sarah Meier and Yukari Nakano seemed to really exude joy of skating in many of their performances.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

She also did this program at 1986 St. Ivel (where she explains the origin of the program), 1987 US Nationals, 1987 Tour of Champions and 1987 Worlds (watch the bit at the end where she has trouble with the flowers). It's a bit different every time, so you have to watch all of them to fully appreciate her humor.

19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Many of Scott & Kurt's programs - I lLove Me (Scott), Kurt's That's Entertainment in particular

20. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

But he does train triple axel (and also quads), as he likes to challenge himself, to prove to himself that he can still do it. His problem with it was even more psychological, than anything else. First he had some problems with it (too much explaining), then he started to be wary of it because of those problems, but there was too much pressure for him to do it, which lead to even stronger aversion. In the end, that and his stubborness (he apparently dislikes pressure from those around him, and to be told what to do more than anything else) lead to his decision not to do it in competition at all, so that he could stop thinking about it and just concentrate on other elements.

Anyway, this is a program in similar style to 'LTGTR' from Lambiel - imho, even more entertaining (despite the fall in this particular performance, and not so fun text of the song - but this is a rare case when his program doesn't reflect that): Tainted Love (Festa on Ice 2009)

I'd say that this is also entertaining (from Stephane again): Rigoletto (Music on Ice, January 8) (Stephane's performance starts at 0:23).

21. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze: Citylights LP (2001), The Kid/Chaplin exhibition. Both are very well known.

I will look for YT links for the following:

Shishkova-Naumov: 1993 Skate America exhibition (

Katarina Witt- Lemon Tree (SOI/pro comps)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miHIXhRKjw0

Laurent Tobel at COI in a pink outfit- did he skate to Carmen? (will look for a YT link)

Plushenko- Sex Bomb (2001 Ex)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogpwrc6oCKM

Rudy Galindo- YMCA (COI)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSfHwvl1VpA

Kristi Yamaguchi- Doop doop (SOI)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-QNtxwpTSE

Petrenko- Doll number (COI)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEZBCRkAg4k

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  22. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

23. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Scott Hamilton as lounge singer/egotist type. Loved the electric pants!

24. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

28. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Well, if we're talking exhibitions too:

Evgeni Plushenko - Assissay

If you don't have even a little chuckle watching this, there's something wrong with you.

29. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I had forgotten this one. Thanks for posting.

30. Kati

Kati Active Member

Jeremy Abbot SP this season.
    Samuel Contesti "western" SP 2008-2009
    Laurent Tobel
    Alban Preaubert "bee"