Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by all_empty, Aug 1, 2014.
Some of Lucinda Ruh's spins
Oh wow again. And as a regular cruiser, I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven had Rohene been in shows on that postage stamp sized ice rink, but that I *know* I never did see...
I don't recall Rohene Ward having skated on cruise ships (at least not so far) - AFAIK his professional tours have been with Holiday on Ice in Europe.
Go check out Dylan Miscovitch's lift with his new partner where he not only lifts one foot from the ice while lifting her but also grabs his blade with his other arm
Here's the direct link to the photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/seanmckinnon/14864642842/in/set-72157645888411777
Takahashi's footwork. Always.
I usually take away a general impression and not any memory of specific elements. Still:
Even though they recycled it a fair bit, it remained pretty awesome.
I also liked Hurtado/Diaz's reverse lift - we've seen reverse lifts before, but to do them as a scoring element is very unusual, and it looked so cool. I'm also impressed that she wasn't suffocated by that choker/ruff thing.
Duhamel/Radford's original death spiral entry in last season's SP was neat.
Jaw-droppingly ugly: every pair lift in which they guy lifts his leg. This trend must die: like many difficult moves, it's is just plain unattractive.
Courtney Hicks' Twhicks Pretzel spin - never seen anything like it.
What a super ugly lift. Thank you CoP.
And what's the name of that first move by Ina & Zimmerman? So scary. Didn't she fall on it on one show?
This move from Viktor Pfeifer's SP at the 2013 Euros.
Hydroblade + reverse walley + tano 3Lz = (If any move in IJS single's skating ever deserved +3GOE...)
Cecilia Colledge's spins because they are shockingly modern and recognizable vis-a-vis the CoP for elements performed in the 1930's.
I remember going to the Nutcracker On Ice in 1994-- our seats were in the 2nd or 3rd row, right on the ice-- and Rory Flack Burghardt did one of her Russian split jumps right over my head!
John Curry, "After All" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXJqsoFwUic
I dunno why, but... What a work !
Yuna Kim 2009 World Championships Short Program - Danse Macabre
Thank you. I haven't seen that performance before. It led me to this one:
Rohene Ward 'A Journey to Solace' [Adagio for Strings]
Some of the things Le Patin Libre does is amazing too:
Le Patin Libre -Alternative
Just off the top of my head (I'm sure there are loads more so I'll keep to the people of the past quad):
- Yulia Lipnitskaya's spins(!) and crazy flexibility in general
- Plushy's quad- and 3axel- combos in his heyday and sheer consistency of jumps (heck, I'll throw in his entire SP at Sochi team comp - I was NOT expecting him to deliver so electrically)
- D/W's first lift in Scheherazade, rotational lift from Die Fledermaus, all lifts from Samson Delilah and twizzles circa 2008-2010 (I think they've had to slow down for the rule changes and difficult entries)
- V/M's goose lift (esp. the one at the Olympics where they changed the exit), all the Carmen lifts (esp. the crotch in face lift, which was a bit icky but mostly crazy wow!) except the fugly choreographic one at the end, and the original version of the first Seasons lift
- I/K's first lift in Black Swan (also, not technically a move but if we're talking jaw dropping ... their ending to Shindler's List)
- Mirai's spins
- V/T's last lift in Jesus Superstar and 3twist/throws
- Peng/Zhang and Antipova/Mazuiradze(total misspell)'s 4twists (just WOW!)
- Berton/Hotarek's lift where she's upside down and not holding on at all 0_O
- Patrick Chan's quad-triple (partly b/c I never expected him to execute it so well)
- Cheating but entire performances: Hanyu's GPF and Olympic short program this past season, Yuna's 2013 Worlds LP, Mao's Sochi Olympic LP and Jason Brown's Nationals LP this past season
Honorable Mentions: 2014 Olympic Ladies' Freeskate (holy crap at how well it was skated by the top flight(s)) and 2014 Olympic Men's Freeskate ( jaw droppingly bad).
Sasha Cohen layback position
Sasha Cohen spiral
Gracie Gold 3L/3T
Yuna Kim 3L/3T
Mao Asada arabesque and footwork, 3A
Julia Lipnitskaia spins and spirals
Jeremy Abbott's quad (when landed)
Johnny Weir runout-from-jump position
Pretty much anything Daisuke Takahashi does on the ice
Same for Patrick Chan--the neverending footwork in particular
way back in 2007 Carron and Jost had this Chopin FD and their first lift literally made my jaw drop
Shen and Zhao throws and lifts, footwork
Mishkutienok & Dmitriev's 1994 Y with spread eagle : http://youtu.be/gNDqZuQVcQg at 3:06
The last time for me it happened was a Caroline Zhang pearl spin circa-2008. Before that it was Shizuka's Ina Bauer in 2006.
Honorable mention for me was Tatiana Totmianina's sleeve move with Maxim Marinin's skate in the 2002 world championships LP. That was a friendly reminder that skating costumes are very durable and most likely weather resistant.
The pearl spin was certainly breathtaking.
Mishkutenok-Dmitriev's death spiral from a static position (she is sitting on the ice, and he pulls her up into a death spiral- incredible)
This video of Ryan Bradley doing triple toe loop, half loop, back flip combination (after the 4T+3T) was shared on the ISU Facebook page recently and is pretty cool.
Gabriele Seyfert's forward spiral into a 2axel without any set up.
Separate names with a comma.