Skating moves that made your jaw drop

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by all_empty, Aug 1, 2014.

1. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

2. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

3. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

4. gotoschool

gotoschool Active Member

Mao Asada's one hand Beillman with her black gloved hand rested against her chest and her fan spiral in Bells of Moscow. Stunning and sultry. Her triple axel and step sequence in the Sochi LP.
    Midori Ito's huge triple toe loop / triple toe loop combo and her triple axel in 1990 Worlds LP and her huge out of the blue triple axel in the 1992 Olympics LP near the end of the program after falling on her first try.
    Plushenko's quad toe / triple toe / triple loop triple combo with a step out in the 2002 Olympics LP. The step out was unfortunate. What a wonderfully wicked whipsaw anyway!
    Shizuka Arakawa's Ina Bauer

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  5. el henry

el henry still fangirling for Toller

So glad to see Toller and John Misha get their props (Toller in this and other replies). Sorry that I skipped skating for a few (like ten or fifteen ;) years) so that never saw Rohene's two direction jumps.

6. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

Stunning. Polina Edmunds finished her FP last year with a change of edge on her final layback spin:swoon:

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Clockwise to CCW double Axels after the 2-minute mark by a 19-year-old Rohene Ward in this exhibition number that's chock full of jaw-dropping moves :cool:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAdIn-NFKhc

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  8. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Or would have been, if it hadn't actually been a solo triple axel jump. :shuffle:

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

10. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Some of Shaw Sawyers spins and his cantelevers.....wow. Virtue and Moir's "goose"........awesome.

12. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Jeff's one and only successful quad in competition at the 2003 4 Continents. In a gorgeous combination no less. Of course he then made mistakes on his 3A and 3Lz... I remember being so giddy after the quad combo, though.

13. Vagabond

14. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

OT but where would evgeny's triple axle / triple flip sequence fall today in the scoring system? Would that be a three jump jumping pass? And if a lady wanted to do the same with a double axle / triple flip, how would that score relative to the seemingly easier double axle triple toe combo?

15. Vagabond

It looked to me like a triple axel + half loop + triple flip combination. The half loop is counted and scored as a single loop in a three jump combination.

Assuming the same GOE, it would count more because the half loop and triple flip (indeed the triple flip alone) would be worth more than that triple toe loop.

The rule that a sequence is marked at only four-fifths of the combined value of the jumps doesn't apply any more when there is a half loop in the middle of a successful three jump combination.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  16. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Thanks!

17. el henry

el henry still fangirling for Toller

Many thanks, I watched twice again with the sound turned down to appreciate those jumps. And that Bielmann glide (I don't know what else to call it) and the one legged handstand glide.... holy cow! Since I understand he could not get it together for competitions himself, I am so glad he is sharing his gift as a choreographer.

sadya likes this.
  18. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

He is so elegant but has great athletic power.

19. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

I love many of the moves mentioned already :
    -Surya's backflip into a 3 sal,
    -Kwan's sfl (and :rofl: at the lady in the 1st row)
    -Plushenko's 3 axel-3flip
    -Ito's 3axel-3toe
    -Asada's combos and axel in 2002 (even URed)

I remember being absolutely amazed by Lipinski's 3loop-3loop and then 3toe-half loop-3sal at the Olympics.

I had never seen this performance before! Breathtaking!!

20. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

So many performances have made my jaws drop over the years. This one particular performance will always be at the very top of my list for all time favorites.

Michelle Kwan - 2002 Salt Lake City Exhibition:

Fields of Gold

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Jason Brown's backward scissor split into a 3sal without putting the free foot down. He also has one of the best, if not the best, back catch-foot camel.

Robin Cousins' skid spiral and delayed axel.

Peggy Schwarz & Mirko Muller's side-by-side forward camels.

Anton Sikhaluridze's forward camel.

Roz Sumner's inside edge ina-bauer into 2Axel.

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Ito's 3As were so solid in 93 and 94 that it was very surprising and disappointing that she had trouble doing them for her comeback in 95. That was sad to see.

23. Vagabond

These. I nearly spilled my Pimm's Cup No. 2. :eek:

24. jordanpond

jordanpond New Member

When I first read the title of this thread, the above was one of two examples that immediately came to mind. The other was Surya's laid out backflip/triple salchow combination. I'm particularly fond of the latter, since this seems to be the one of the only skating moves ever done in which a woman was the first to do it, and a woman pioneering something is always a good thing in my book. I don't know if anyone else has ever done it since, but even if they have, it was quite a long time that she was the one and only.

25. skating is fun

skating is fun Member

sadya likes this.
  26. jordanpond

jordanpond New Member

Wow!

27. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

When I read the thread title, Ilia Klimkin was the first name that popped up in my mind. The second was Plushenko's 3A-0.5R-3f combination.

Gary Beacom defied the laws of Physics with some of his moves.

Boitano's spread eagles- I love the way he holds the clean edges for so long

Some of Robin Cousin's footwork

Midori Ito's triple axel, particularly the one she landed at the 92 (or was it 93?) pro competition.

Julia Lipnitskaya's variation on the I-spin. It is amazing, and she is not done yet.

28. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Talking about Shawn Sawyer, I loved his LP to Moments In Love. Especially the sequence with 2 triple Loop, from a walley and a Falling leaf.

29. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Here are some audition tapes showing Rohene performing a variety of fab moves. I believe these are audition tapes he used to get gigs aboard cruise ships a few years ago. :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KA27GFWr-3k (spins, spirals, cantilevers, hydroblade leans, footwork)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=CC1-havgrIk (spins in both directions, laybacks and deathdrop, Russian split, combo jump, leg lifts, triple jumps in both directions)

el henry likes this.