Skating moves that made your jaw drop

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by all_empty, Aug 1, 2014.

1. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

With so many polls filling up The Trash Can during the summer/off-season, I thought it'd be fun to feature more SKATING.

Which skating moves made your jaw drop and say "holy crap" when you saw them?

Here are a few nominees:

Matthew Hall at 1988 Skate Canada SP (2A from backward inside threes): http://youtu.be/iQZvonuzel4?t=1m53s

Patricia Mansfield at 1995 U.S. Nationals FS (spiral sequence with layover spiral): http://youtu.be/W1LsqEZ3W3c?t=2m36s

Midori Ito at 1992 Olympics Practice (3A+3T): http://youtu.be/PKs7NFGnkOk?t=56s

Shizuka Arakawa at 2006 Olympics FS (unassisted spiral sequence): http://youtu.be/jJ9EaMEk74g?t=2m10s

Irina Slutskaya 1998-9 Grand Prix Final SP (one-foot turns into 3F+2T): http://youtu.be/5O3E36QynNo?t=48s

All super impressive and rarely seen.

2. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Many of Dubreuil/Lauzon's lifts/the combination lifts of D/L and D/W and V/M especially in the early days of COP because it looked like the women were climbing all over the men like monkeys climb a tree and I mean that in a good way :)

D/W and V/M twizzle speed.

Pechalat/Bourzat's upside down lift!

D/W lift in Phantom of the Opera where she's on his thigh in his back and then sort of drops to the ice. It's at 3:28 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUxOyErzHFk

I forgot to add, Savchenko/Szolkowi's (successful) throw at the very end of the program.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  3. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

4. Enero

Enero Member

5. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Almost everything Gary Beacom did on skates.

Almost everything Katherine Healy did on skates.

Almost every spin Lucinda Ruh performed.

The headbanger performed by Isabelle Brasseur / Lloyd Eisler.

Sasha Cohen's Y spin (even though it was ugly as all Y spins are, IMHO). Her spiral too.

Michelle Kwan's Charlotte (especially the first time she did it).

Midori Ito's triple axel.

I agree with Shen/Shao and their throws and twists in general. Spectacular.

I always was wowed by Josef Sabovcik's hanging single axel.

Watching Plushenko stroking around the rink. Sheer power.

Ilia Kulik -- pretty much everything he did on skates.

Denise Biellmann's Biellmann.

There is so much! I'm still thinking.

O-

KatieC likes this.
  6. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

The hyper-extended biellman, MANY of the pair lifts

7. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Everything Mao Asada did in 2002 as an 11 year old (maybe?) http://youtu.be/VIdRDrAS5QE?t=33s

3A, 3/3/3 combo, another 3/3. Of course the axel, the back jump on the 3/3/3 and another jump or two were UR but this was incredible if you haven't seen it. Plus she was having a ball out there.

8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Kwan's split falling leaf, especially done in East of Eden followed by a series of spread eagles

Cohen's spiral positions, Russian split jump, and that opening spin for her 2000 Mendelssohn program

Arakawa's ina bauer - it's not as perfect as Cohen's in terms of position, but it's so "big" and held

Czisny's spins - especially her super extended Y spin (free leg to the side) which was practically a split - it was so much more elegant than the painful I spin that so many do (Bonaly, Cohen, Lipnitskaya, etc)

Zhang's layback - the transition from the pearl to the Biellmann was amazing; Lipnitskaya's Biellmann variation is also amazing, but she needs to learn how to exit spins with control and flow, and on one foot

Chen's dance session at her 1995 Last Emperor program, and her combination spin at her 1998 Butterfly Lovers program - she was a rotten spinner yes, but that spin was so beautifully done to the music that, to me, it was the most memorable for that Olympics for me

Brown's entire Riverdance

9. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

You're not the only one, look at the lady in blue (first row) in the background when Kwan does her split jump in EOE. Her jaw drops right down, I love watching faces in the crowd! http://youtu.be/mQBDIO48ZCo?t=1m35s

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The only other one I remember was, when Slutskaya debuted Tosca and did her crazy hair grabbing at the end, someone in the audience mocked her and did the same. :LOL

11. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-xhlv4T7bM

Terry Kubicka performing a legal backflip at 1976 US Nationals, and the USFSA President questioning one judge's marks who probably had an old fashion disdain for "mere acrobatics on ice".

12. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Robin Cousins tuck axel that covered so much ice, always makes my jaw drop.

13. bardtoob

14. bardtoob

15. bardtoob

16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Beautifully done Russian Split Jumps with amazing height, perfectly parallel to the ice!

17. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

18. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Kulik's aerial cartwheel. :eek:

19. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I remember at the time being really impressed with their triple twists, but after Volosozhar's triple twist with either Morosov or (even bigger with)Trankov, Shen and Zhao's seems much less impressive these days :shuffle:

But the thing that i'll always remember from S&Z is this quad sal attempt.

20. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I also remember someone copying Mirai putting her finger to her lips at 2008 Nationals in the LP.

21. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

22. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I love that S/S spin. Always a highlight in their programs.

Other great spins, of course, are Caroline Zhang's Pearl spin and Mirai Nagasu's layback combination spin. Just absolutely love both spins.

I was watching a couple of Kwan programs this week and was once again impressed with her Charlotte spiral. It's just a really cool move.

Also--Volosozhar/Trankov's final few lifts in their long program are amazing.

23. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

24. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Agree with many of the ones already mentioned like Ito's triple axel-triple toe combination (and many of her triple axels in general), Shizuka Arakawa's spiral at the 2006 Olympics, Bonaly's back slip landed on one foot, etc.

I might also mention Lucinda Ruh's spins (especially her scratch spin at at the end of her 1999 LP), and mishkutenok & dmitriev's signature pair spin (although I think it was first done by a Canadian pair).

25. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

26. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Anissina/ Peizarat reverse gender lifts; Johnny Weir's effortless triple axels with graceful upright landings and elegant, controlled rideouts; Jonathan Cassar's spread eagles "to die for"; Gary Beacom's genius; Alissa Czisny's spins and leg lifts; Paul Wylie's Olympic Renaissance and pro career; Michelle Kwan's change of edge spiral and magnificent falling leaf, plus her entire skating career; Rohene Ward's triple jumps in both directions; The Protopopov's death spirals, and the fact they still skate; Brian Boitano's death drop spins and spread eagles, plus his Tano Lutz; Jason Brown's extraordinary musicality, charisma, enthusiasm and flexibility; Rory Flack's Russian split jumps! :eek:

The original one and only Biellmann spin; Shizuka Arakawa's Ina Bauers; Sasha Cohen's leg lifts and spirals; J. M. Petkevich's delayed axels, John Curry's balletic grace and iconic Olympic performance; Shawn Sawyer's side leg lifts/ splits and amazing flexibility; Lucinda Ruh's pancake spins; Angela Nikodinov's textbook layback spin; Brasseur/ Eisler lifts; Bonaly's backflips with one-foot landings, as well her jump takeoffs and landings with no speed; Underhill/ Martini innovative pairs exhibition programs; Caroline Zhang's pearl spin; Adam's Rippon Lutz; Babilonia and Gardner's effortless two-as-one pair spirals; Savchenko/ Szolkowy's chutzpah and innovative moves -- and their groundbreaking Pina with Ingo Steuer; Toller Cranston's entire skating career; Gordeeva/ Grinkov entire skating career.

[ETA: Jozef Sabovcik's death drops!]

27. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

28. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

29. OwenEvans

OwenEvans Member

Ito's 3As in the technical program at both 93 and 94 World Pros. For once, the camera angles on the telecasts really captured the power, distance, height and flow of her 3As. Amazing.

30. Jebrista

Jebrista New Member

Adelina's camel variation.