Skating lessons in the NYC area?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by shine, Jan 29, 2013.

1. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Hi guys! I just got myself a pair of new skates after moving to NYC (awesome city!) and have decided that I want to start taking skating lessons again. I used to be able to do some single jumps but after 10+ years of absence I'm pretty much starting over as a beginner (can't really do too much besides gliding around and doing some crappy three turns). I know there are a lot of skating fans in the area and I'd love to hear some recommendation for lessons. I've been looking at different rinks' websites and looks like there's quite a few options around the city. I'm looking at semi-private lessons to start off with (so that I get a bit more attention from the instructor than I would taking big can-skate group lessons) and eventually switching to private lessons as I (hopefully) advance through freestyle. Also I'd prefer if the rink is not too far from the city. Is there any particular rink that you've had good experience with? I'd love to take lessons at a rink with instructors that are more figure skating-centric. Thanks!

2. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Melanie at Rockefeller Center is a great coach. The ice is small, but you could take your lesson there and practice elsewhere. If you do like the ice, you can buy a season pass + locker and have unlimited ice time, with one passholder-only session a week (used to be Weds. morn). Also, I hear that adult beginners like the Jojo Starbuck class, although I've never taken it. The lessons with Melanie and the ice time with a season pass are a lot cheaper than Chelsea Piers or Wollman rink. If you are just starting out again, this might be a good option for you.

P.S. Wollman Rink Prospect Park (Brooklyn) has a group lessons program that may be more cost-effective than Manhattan. It is a nice rink to go to (in the day time) and admission is very cheap.

There is a new World's Fair rink (Flushing) that I haven't been to but I know they have a skating program and freestyle.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  3. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

Wollman Rink Prospect Part is undergoing renovations and won't be open until fall of 2013. I skate at World Ice Arena, but as a speedskater, so I don't know about the figure skating program. I'd be interested in hearing answers as well. I love speedskating, but I'm also missing the figure skating and might think about taking a group class somewhere.

4. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the recommendation leafygreens! Melanie is indeed a great instructor- so much attention to details and very knowledgable!!