Skating Lesson Podcast: Rudy Galindo

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSfan107, Jan 16, 2013.

1. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

2. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

For some reaon, I can't get it to play.

3. emma1227

emma1227 New Member

Another great interview!! Rudy was very down to earth, loved hearing about his early career with Kristi. Amazing to think about how successful the two of them could have been, I can't even imagine how difficult that breakup was for him. So happy he had the time to shine later in his career. Loved the part at the end when Jenny and David shouted out names and Rudy would say a word to describe them. Suzanne Bonaly..totally forgot about her!!

4. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

What a terrific interview. It was especially sweet to learn that Rudy is now coaching Kristi's daughter.

He really wears his heart on his sleeve, which is especially remarkable given how much heartache he's faced. But Rudy is the embodiment of success through perseverance, and his 1996 free skate remains one of my all-time top skating moments. 17 years later, it still stands up as one of the greatest kiss & cry moments ever.

Anyone know who his coaches were before he turned to his sister, Laura?

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

He is so great!

6. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Loved this interview!

7. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I have tremendous respect for Jennifer, David, and Rudy. This is skating gold. I love the three of you.

8. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Coleen Blackmore - singles
    Jim Hulik - pairs
    John Nicks - pairs
    Rick Inglesi- singles
    John Brancato and Kevin Peeks - singles
    (I have his autobiography.)

I can't get the interview to work :(

9. LKR

LKR Active Member

Great interview, as always.

BTW, who was the "Bible Belt judge" Rudy was referring to?

10. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Thanks!

It's in QuickTime, so if you have an iPhone, you could try it that way.

11. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

It was Janet Nowicki. A bible beater. Enough said.

12. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

13. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Tsk tsk, one would think having been stereotyped so often when he was competing that Rudy would have learned his lesson to not propagate stereotypes himself...

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

No, not really. I haven't listened to what Rudi said in this interview, but at the competition in question she gave marks lower than the other judges to some other skaters as well. I think it's a little simplistic for you to dismiss her opinion simply because of her religious beliefs.

15. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks for the link, I especially enjoyed hearing Rudy talk about his pairs skating days.

16. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

It works now, I couldn't connect to the server earlier.

17. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

AKA Janet Lynn

18. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

I thoroughly enjoyed the last podcast with Tai Babilonia and now this one with Rudy too! If any of you are wavering on whether or not to listen, once I started listening, I couldn't stop! Lol. :)

19. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Really, one and the same Janet Lynn is Janet Nowicki?

20. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Yes. "Lynn" is her given middle name.

21. dots

dots Well-Known Member

GAYTASTIC!!!

No apologies! Just Rudy calling it like he sees it. :cheer:

And I wouldn't have it any other way. :D :D :D

22. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

23. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this podcast. I never had a chance to read Rudy's autobiography, so it was refreshing to finally hear his in-depth thoughts on his career, his relationship with Kristi (then and now), and of course his indelible 96 Nationals win.

Having said that, I did feel a little uneasy when Jenny and Rudy started making fun of Suzanne Bonaly. Don't get me wrong, I definitely appreciate the candor in these interviews; it's a real treat to hear skaters honestly and openly address the politics in skating without the PR spin, but sometimes I feel the "tone" veers precariously close to mean-spiritedness.

It's one thing to be candid about Coach X's ethics, or Commentator Y's bias, or their general impression of Skater Z's personality, but making fun of a skater's mom for her supposed eccentricities, kinda rubbed me the wrong way. It just felt very high school gossipy to me.

I'm sure Rudy and Jenny were just sharing a harmless inside joke moment, which is understandable, but in another sense it makes me wonder, what kind of future this podcast series will have if this tone becomes more prevalent.

No doubt it's a very fine line to walk between candor and gossip, but given what I've heard thus far, I can't imagine high profile figures in the sport, like a Dick Button, would ever do an interview on this podcast given what's been said/insinuated about him...which is sad because, despite the issues people have with him, I'm sure he has some amazing stories to share as well.

But maybe this is just an inevitability? I suppose one can't critique the higher establishment without alienating them. I don't know. Not sure what the answer is.

Thoughts?

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I didn't listen to this one yet, but in the Dan Hollander podcast, Jenny and partner also brought Suzanne Bonaly up as part of the list of skaters/personalities you have to describe in a word. They seem a bit obsessed with her, and I'm thinking, dude, Surya is almost 40 by now, stop worrying about how she was parented.

25. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ True Cherub, it was a long time ago. How time flies, but in figure skating it often seems to strangely stand still. :)

Good food for thought, DBZ. It can indeed be a fine line between candor and unthinking gossip re behind-the-scenes anecdotes and remembrances. I think Jenny and Dave have a good intent with their podcast, and their naming well known personalities in the sport to elicit guests' immediate reactions seems to be their way of ending the interview on a lighthearted note.

In regard to Dick Button, I think he has never intended his commentary to be mean, but obviously some skaters have felt hurt by his comments. The fact that skaters felt his commentary and criticisms carried such sway seems to reflect less on Dick and more on the insularity, the elitist tradition, and the back-stabbing political nature of the sport, especially behind-the-scenes. Dick has obviously been indispensable in promoting the sport of figure skating. When I first began watching figure skating, I learned so much from listening to Dick's commentary. Of course, there is a lot to be learned and we need to hear from many voices. Still, Dick's voice is important and iconic. Dick has always shown a great deal of enthusiasm for figure skating. He once said that it has always been his intention in his commentary to point out areas where he feels skaters can improve. I'm sure it was hard for many skaters to not take his critiques too personally and granted some things tripped off Dick's tongue in his excitement that he could have phrased better or more diplomatically. But he tends to tell it like he sees it.

Dan Hollander mentioned during his interview how he once went up to Dick to ask a question about a skater from an earlier era. Dan admitted that his real intent was mainly to show interest in Dick's vast knowledge and experience. Dan seems to have realized while he was still an eligible skater, the importance of not grousing about Dick's critiques but of showing respect to one of the sport's greatest veterans who is also a walking encyclopedia of figure skating history. More skaters today should be interested in finding out about the history of the sport and seeking out veterans to ask questions and to learn. I hope Dick has been penning his memoirs. I believe he wrote a book shortly after his retirement from skating, but that was a long time ago.

In regard to Suzanne Bonaly, I recall during the time Surya was skating that her mother was often the butt of dismissive on-air gossip and jokes by some of the commentators. Suzanne Bonaly was clearly an eccentric skating Mom, and many have often questioned her role in Surya's emotional fit-of-pique on the podium at 1994 Worlds. Perhaps since even Surya herself was often blatantly criticized and insulted by commentators, and sometimes seemingly dismissed by judges too, it might be interesting if Surya would agree to be a guest on one of the skating podcasts to share her experiences and talk about her mother’s influence. Or, maybe Surya prefers to keep that part of her life to herself. Surya does seem happy to be living in the United States and she has had a successful career touring as a professional skater.

In any case, I think we get the picture re skaters' views of Suzanne Bonaly, and perhaps Dave and Jenny might move on to a different ending exercise. Perhaps they could devise a skating version of the question and answer exercise made famous by James Lipton of Inside the Actor's Studio.

I thoroughly enjoyed Rudy's interview. It was sad to hear about how Rudy's Dad was affected by the break-up of his partnership with Kristi. It was fun and so memorable to hear Rudy speak about his victory at Nationals in 1996, and very heartwarming to learn about Kristi's reaction and how much it meant to Rudy.

Kudos to Rudy on being inducted into the USFS Hall of Fame this week!