Skating Fiction (Print Books and Movies)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by danceronice, Feb 10, 2013.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I'm trying to come up with a definitive list of skating and skating-themed fiction, YA and adult, and movies, as I've kind of run out of what I've got! (Print books..add e-books, I guess, but I don't read them and even tell people with my (non-skating) novel, buy the real, ie paper, one as I put a lot more care into that. I mean, I get more money for it, too....is our FSU author doing real copies of hers?) Any that are actually IN PRINT would be nice, too! I find most stuff in used bookstores and discard sales!

Alina Adams's Figure Skating Mysteries: Murder on Ice, On Thin Ice, Axel of Evil, Death Drop, Skate Crime (Cozy mysteries with amateur detective Bex Levy, researcher for a sports network. Not bad as cozies go, plays big to skating stereotypes but not without love.)

"Ice Dancing" and "Ice Princess" by Nicholas Walker (YA) (Set in England? Vaguely defined but the culture seems to suggest it. Samantha wants to skate, but has rheumatic fever and nervous parents Alex has lost his partnership. Of course, they team up.)

"Dreams of Gold" by Maynard Thompson (A half-American, half-Japanese girl loses her pairs partner and returns to her childhood coach in Japan to learn singles. VERY soapy, but not bad IMO.)

Melissa Lowell's Silver Blades series (YA) (Reminds me of contemporaries "The Saddle Club" and "The Baby-Sitters Club". Some books are stamped with the approval of USFS. How many of these ARE there? I found some large-print editions at a used bookstore with ten listed in the front, and when I looked for the ones I didn't have on Amazon I was getting hits for book 23, book 18, etc.))

Movies:

"Ice Castles"
    "The Cutting Edge" (how many dubious direct-to-video sequels are there now?)
    "Ice Princess" (No relation to the book above)
    "Ice Castles" (remake)

I really need more material...

2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

3. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

My favorite skating book as a child was "White Boots" by Noel Streatfeild, known in the US as "Skating Shoes".

Sharon Whitlock has written a mystery series about the fictional Jazzicals synchronized teams. Three books are in print: "The Scheherazade Curse", "The Capitol Ghost", and "The White Rose Affair". There are more to come. I'd call them young adult, but adults would enjoy them, too.

We have 24 books of the "Silver Blades" series, plus 10 of the "Figure Eights" series, which was about younger skaters. We also have 6 books of a series called "Michelle Kwan presents Skating Dreams".

There's also "Crossovers" by LeAnne Hardy, and "Maddie Takes the Ice" by Nicolette House.

4. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Thanks for the shout-out, shan! Mine are available in print and digital. :)

I loved Alina Adams' mysteries and wish she would write more!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Hence the reference to our own author! And good to know they're in real copies (I just can't take even my own book in ebook format seriously. Hate reading on screens and there's too much free stuff available to pay real money for bits and bytes.)

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

The most obvious one: Florent Amodio shot a movie called Programme Libre last year. I'm not sure about the specifics of when it's supposed to be released and where.

As for books... being a romance reader, I checked on All About Romance, and they have the following books listed as skating-related:

• On Thin Ice (1995) by Susan Andersen
    • Reluctant Partnership (1979) by Elizabeth Ashton
    • Ice Crystals (4/1987) by Pamela Browning - HAR-194
    • Diamond on Ice (3/1991) by Lacey Dancer - KIS-35
    • The Medusa Game (2/2006) by Cindy Dees - SB-79
    • Fire Beneath the Ice (2001) by Linda Hudson-Smith (looks like she also has a book called Ice Under Fire)
    • Dreams to Mend (8/1987) by Risa Kirk - HSR-273
    • Tender Longings (2/1978) by Barbara Lynn - CR-230
    • Cassidy and the Princess (10/2001) by Patricia Potter - SIM-1107
    • Summer's End (1999) by Kathleen Gilles Seidel
    Of these, I've only heard of On Thin Ice and Summer's End - and as you can see, there's almost nothing new; it's a good thing TanithandBenFan is on it, and if they reopen the list for submission I'll suggest her books.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

I don't know if you're also looking for children's fiction, but...

When I was a child, I read a series of books by Beverly Lewis, called the "Girls Only!" series. It was about girls participating in different sports, one being figure skating. Here are the ones about skating:

"Dreams on Ice"
    "A Perfect Match"
    "Follow the Dream"
    "Photo Perfect"

8. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose Active Member

There's also my own book, WINDSONG: A Figure Skater's Odyssey. However, while skating plays a critical role in two places in the book, it's not a figure skating novel in the sense of covering competitions and rivalries, etc. What WINDSONG is really about is a figure skater who goes on to be and to do so much more. It's actually a science fiction novel starring a figure skater.

FYI, here's an excerpt from WINDSONG to give you an idea of the nature of the book:

For long minutes, Windsong sat mesmerized, watching the stars stream by Tin Lizzie. She wondered if she was dreaming. If so, she thought, this was definitely the most vivid dream by far that she had ever experienced.

Abruptly Tin Lizzie lurched violently and the star field snapped back to normal again. To Windsong it felt as though a giant invisible hand had reached out and grabbed the car.

“Och! MOTHER McCREE!” cried Scottie in dismay as Tin Lizzie began shaking and vibrating uncontrollably.

“What? What’s happening Scottie?”

“A BLACK HOLE, Lass! We’re trapped in its gravity well an’ we’re bein’ pulled towards it! Tin Lizzie nay has near enough power to escape! Och! We’re in deep yogurt fer sure!”

“Can’t you DO something, Scottie?” cried Windsong.

“Nay, Lass! I canna change the laws of physics! That beastie’s gonna swallow us right out of existence! An’ tear us asunder in the process! I’m so sorry, so terribly, terribly sorry, that I’ve gotten ya into this awful fix, Lass! Ya deserved so much better!”

The shaking grew worse by the second, and Tin Lizzie rattled and groaned ominously in protest over the super-strong gravity threatening to rip the vehicle -- and its occupants --into a thousand pieces.

“Och! She’s about to fly apart at the seams, Lass! I canna hold her together much longer!” shouted Scottie, struggling desperately in a losing battle to arrest Tin Lizzie’s inexorable plunge towards doom. “Forgive me dear, sweet Lass! Forgive me Tin Lizzie, me Dear Old Girl! Och! Blasted feckless unleaded petrol...!”

Stunned, uncomprehending, her fists clenched so tightly that her knuckles were ice-white, Windsong sat helplessly in disbelief and dismay. Half an hour ago I was sipping Chai Tea in Methuselah’s Coffee Shop and finishing my term paper -- and now Scottie and I are in outer space in a 1930s car and we’re about to disappear forever in a BLACK HOLE! This is totally THE PITS! I never even had the chance to say my goodbyes... she thought bleakly as the black hole, a perfectly round sphere of menacing pitch-blackness, loomed closer, ever closer.

9. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Movie: "Champions: A Love Story" (1979.) The guy I was with did NOT like this movie (big surprise) and I was sitting there crying like a baby. There are better skating films--it must have been the right story on the right day for me. Also there is a more recent film called "Go Figure." I also watched a film set in the late 40's or early 50's about a girl learning to skate. It is about a girl and her magical reindeer and it is called "Blizzard."

Also "A Promise Kept: The Oksana Baiul Story," "Tonya & Nancy: The Inside Story,"....was there ever an ice skating "Xanadu?" :p

Books: The Luckiest Girl in the World
    by Steven Levenkron ---a championship figure skater, stage mom, pressure and cutting... I read that this author did a similar book about a gymnast with anorexia.

Sugar and Ice by Kate Messner (girl invited by famous Russian coach to train in Lake Placid --obstacles include mean girls.)

Double-Axel Doubt by Jake Maddox (girl was great as a little girl but her skating skills have not improved with age--not sure where this one goes.)

Skateway to Freedom - Ann Alma (talented skater escapes from East Germany to Canada)

Bittersweet - Sarah Ochler (sp?) (Dad leaves and Mom can no longer afford lessons for daughter and then daughter has a second chance--and meets a boy.)

If the kids are really young they might enjoy Kristi Yamaguchi's books.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  10. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Flying camels and Tiger mothers (Andy Schell) - this book is hilarious!

11. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

Ice Charades: Penquins Behaving Badly and Other Follies From the Road by Jenny Hall http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Charades-...553782&sr=1-23&keywords=Ice skating - Fiction.

Ice Castles by Lenore Fleischer http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Castles-L...553989&sr=1-34&keywords=Ice skating - Fiction.

Nice Shows: A Berrien Gamble Ice Skating Mystery by Joan Bartlett http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Shows-Be...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360554149&sr=1-2

Judge Me Nottingham: A Nice Skates Ice Skating Mystery by Joan Barlett http://www.amazon.com/Judge-Me-Nott...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360554149&sr=1-1

Joan Bartlett was a former skater, judge, and coach. She was writing a third book in the series but died of leukemia before its completion.

In Robin Cook's book "Toxin," the central character has a daughter who's a champion ice skater. It's been years since I read the book but I remember there were a number of laughable errors.

In Jodi Picoult's book "Handle With Care," the older daughter is a skater.

Geremi Weiss (Michael's sister) was the model for two covers in the Silver Blades series.

12. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Olga Jaffae has a series of children's books starting with "Cammie and Alex's Adventures in Skateland." They're semi-fantasy but pretty accurate skating-wise and I've enjoyed them. There's four of five of them in all now, I think: "...Rainbow Rinks", "Skating through History" are a couple more I remember. She and her husband have been selling them at competitions and online so I expect they're self-published but the quality is good and they're fun.

Teresa Morgan has two: "Satin and Steel" and "A Risk Worth Taking" that are adult romantic suspense.

Iris Johanson's "White Satin" was reissued a couple years ago and isn't bad although very dated.

One I would not recommend unles you like badly-writing, dreary characters and nonexistent skating knowledge is Mandy Baggot's "Breaking the Ice." It's british and so bad it's not even funny in it's errors. I got it as a Kindle $.99er and even that was too much to spend on it.

I have a whole bookcase of skating fiction going back to the 1950's but I'm missing some of the ones mentioned here. It's a fun genre to collect.

13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Long ago, I read two different novels titled Death Spiral

murder mystery (more my speed; some good skating content)

romance (not with this cover though! male character is skater but there's not much skating content)

Also The Silver Seven aimed at preteens/young teens, which I was at the time, in which passing the seventh figure test was a major plot thread

14. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

I've got two more to add to the list...

Gay Blades by Ben Tyler

Figure of Eight by Patrick Lynch

15. jenniferlyon

I used to write a skating serial back in the olden days before Nook and Kindle. I deliberately made each chapter short and choppy because I knew people would be reading it onscreen. It was called "The Strong and the Sequined" and it ran from 1997 to 2006. But the e-publisher I worked with isn't around anymore. I was thinking about giving those old chapters a little spit and polish and putting the whole thing out in e-book format (probably one "season" at a time). But the amount of work I'd have to do vs. the amount of money I would make... Well, let's just say that requires some thought. I also have to finish my current (not skating-related) project before I start a new one.

16. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had one as well (same e-pub), but I've since been working in film, not print. I've toyed with the idea of turning my old (never to be finished - I wrote myself into a corner, oops!) story, much edited and trimmed into either a screenplay, or a transmedia project. But I have other things I want work on first (some that I actually get paid for), so I doubt it would ever actually happen. Basically, it's not motivating me to put on top of the pile.

17. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I read quite a bit of The Strong and the Sequined! I looked at your e-publisher when I first started thinking about having my serial published (Life on the Edge was a serial before I edited it into a book). I'd love to see your serial in book form one day. :)

18. jenniferlyon

Are you Rink Ghost?

I never finished "The Strong and the Sequined" either. Too much going on in real life at that time. If I publish it in e-book form, I'll have to finish it, or at least get the characters through the 2006 Olympics and then write a final "season" where the story fast forwards to the present date. One storyline in particular (where Heidi finds out who her birth parents are) can't be resolved if I'm still stuck in 2006. She was only eight years old then, but she would be almost fifteen now. Unlike the TV soaps, I didn't do the rapid aging thing with the child characters.

19. jenniferlyon

Thanks, I am beginning to warm up to the idea a little more. My current novel-in-progress is so serious, it might be fun to return to the glitz and drama of my fake skating world.

20. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

21. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

A few years ago a figure skater named "Mia" was the American Girl Doll of the Year and had a couple of kids' books in her line.

If I do say so myself, we FSU-ers wrote a few :kickass: stories under "Continue the Story" threads. Maybe we should start another one after Worlds this year. You can search for the old ones in the archives.

22. jenniferlyon

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it sounds good.

23. theguitarist

theguitarist New Member

"Blade of Glory" (2007) starring Will Ferrell

24. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Iceman brought up Belita, the ballerina/ice skater contemporary of Sonja Henie in another thread. I hadn't thought about her in a long while, but I searched the web and found that her movie "Suspense" is now available on DVD. It is a film noir about a love triangle/murder in an ice revue. I ordered it and am hoping the story is as good as the skating. I will let everyone know of it lives up to expectations.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

26. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Does anybody remember a teen skating novel (I purchased it at a book fair in the early 90s) about a girl who skated and the coach forced her to cut her hair after she messed with her ponytail too many times?

27. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I knew somebody who wrote a romance that featured a skating coach. After it was published, she told me she'd bring her daughter to our rink for early morning patch and see all the skating mothers flipping through her book to see if any of the characters resembled them (none did). The book is Hero at Large.

28. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I watched "Suspense" a movie starring Belita and Barry Sullivan. It was the story of a man who becomes obsessed with the star of an ice show and plots to take her Svengali husband's place. The acting is a liitle thin, but the skating is worth the price of the DVD. Some of the numbers are on YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/#/watch?v=yDvAFbi-ats

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/#/watch?v=6c04O57jS-E

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/#/watch?v=EMEOR8JA-iw&feature=related

Belita was a British ballerina who competed in the 1936 Olympics at age 12 in figure skating. She did skating movies and shows as well as ballet, and danced with Gene Kelly.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013