Skating dress alteration?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by ioana, Aug 29, 2012.

1. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I bought a competition dress on ebay and I need to to get it altered for length (girth is way too long right now). My regular tailor said she's afraid to try and do this since she doesn't have an elastic setting on her sewing machine. Does anyone know of a place around the Boston area where this could be done? Or even online as long as I could send out measurements?

2. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to ask some of the coaches and mothers of competitive skaters at your rink. Most of them (especially the higher level skaters) get dresses custom made, and can give you the contact info for their dressmakers.

3. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Was it a custom-sized dress? If so, you can ask the eBay seller to remake it in the right size for your measurements. Most are pretty willing to resolve mis-sizing issues.

There are definitiely resources for skatewear in your area, as Doubletoe suggests. You could also ask dance suppliers to recommend a dressmaker/tailor to alter the dress. They work with similar materials and many local dancewear manufacturers have seamstresses who moonlight as tailors.

4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Thank you! I will try asking at the rink -if I'm ever awake enough to remember at 7 am :eek:. This was someone's old competition dress, so no luck with getting the seller to do the alterations. Dance stores are a good suggestion, though and will keep that in mind as well.

5. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

The seller had a no-return policy, I assume? That's too bad because it really doesn't fit you and it could turn out to be much more expensive than you thought.

Ask for an estimate because the alterations might cost as much as making a new one. (Some seamstresses will replicate a garment for you from a photo or sample.)

A half-mile from my old rink was a dancewear store that had a small production shop in the back. Very convenient for skating show costumes. It did mean no sleeves, detachable skirts and some hootchy-cootchy getups though, lol.

I've had the opposite problem: two of my DDs have very long torsos and many store-bought dresses and bodysuits were uncomfortably short. When they have to wear outfits that match a group, we always had problems with the sizing. For one outfit, I asked the supplier for extra fabric, opened up the skirt seam and added a panel to the length. It was (mostly) hidden by the set-in skirt.

Sometimes, the skirt line is a good place to shorten, but if the neckline is too low, it's better to raise the shoulders first because you don't want to tug the neckline down further. Another option is to remake the crotch so that the bottom comes down further, which has the added benefit of extra modesty coverage. :yikes:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I mostly bought the dress because it had this color combination which I loved.
    http://figureskates.discountskatewear.com/p-1461-c6-14.aspx

You're right this will most likely turn out to be more expensive than I'd have liked, but with the crystals that are already on the dress, it should turn out to still be at least $100 cheaper than buying a brand new dress exactly like it. As long as it fits in the end, it would be worth it. And I guess I'll at least find someone to alter skating dresses in the process :D.

Good to know there are several options for shortening girth. Neckline isn't too low at all, so maybe we'll go with that plan. And the bottoms are Bridget Jones-style panties, so lack of coverage is not an issue :lol:.

7. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

I would possibly just even stop in to a few more local alteration shops/dry cleaners.

I have walked in to quite a few and gotten some amazing deals (10-15.00 alterations) on skating dresses!

8. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

A local dance mom in my area does work, I think you will find luck calling some of the dance schools. She charged 10 to hem a skirt (double layer chiffon).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  9. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

I would try Skaters Landing, it's located inside the Skating Club of Boston.