Skating Call Me Maybe parody

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lanie, Jul 30, 2012.

1. mkats

mkats New Member

I have a huge crush on Alex Shibutani. :shuffle:

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  2. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Me too :D

3. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

^ He's looking pretty cut in the video. And he sure can move.

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Awww, I don't blame you. Alex and Maia are adorable, and so talented and articulate too! Now quick send Alex your number with the note, "Call Me Maybe?" :lol:

:respec: :)

God forbid we keep it deadly serious ... life's too short. ;) The one and only Mr. divalicious Johnny Weir never takes himself too seriously and he doesn't let other people's hang-ups hang him up. Not only is Johnny a talented figure skater who happens to be gay, wow, above all he's human and he wields a rapier wit.

Quotable Johnny:
    Everybody has nipples. Lifeskate interview April 2010

I came out of my mother wearing a rainbow.
    CNN Dialogues panel appearance December 14, 2011

I had to kind of defend the fact that I have a penis. It was definitely hurtful on a personal level, because I love my penis.
    CNN Dialogues panel appearance December 14, 2011, in reference to Canadian commentators questioning his gender during 2010 Olympics

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  5. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

LOL! SEXI!! Love Takahiko Kozuka being too cool to sing. :lol: Skaters are way too cute and they all seem to get along so well together; it's no wonder why I love this sport so much, even if many times I hate the judging and the rules. ;)

6. mkats

mkats New Member

:rofl: I don't think my boyfriend would take to that too well. But Alex did direct message me on twitter - TWICE! :cheer: :slinkaway:

7. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

You need some serious frigging help.

What part of that video was especially "effeminate"? The boys were super hilarious. And what is wrong with "acting effeminate in public"? Not that I believe many of the famous ones do. Johnny, maybe. But what is "effeminate"? Define it? What makes it so bad?

You're going to do your head in when Plushenko plays both lead roles in his Romeo and Juliet program, aren't you...:rolleyes:

8. aftershocks

LOL and way SEXI COOL!

Hmmm, got my hormones ragin' for Javi in the ripped jeans, Charlie ooooh (oh, that's right Tanith's got him, but I can dream can't I ;)), and Jeremy and Taka, I'd love them to both call me maybe so we can go out together maybe, sit down and share a poutine together and then have each of them give me a .... skating lesson. Tsk tsk all you uptight people. Lighten up! :D

Jeff B had some cool moves in the vid. Mervin's way cool too and very macho :)eek: ;)), and that four-man three-legged race across the ice was so funny.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  9. aftershocks

:respec: Thank you! And furthermore, I'd suggest all "uptight" people stay away from the deplorable Lifetime show Project Runway. It might give tense condescenders a "hissy" fit and cause them to speak in unknown tongues. [Just kidding ... maybe] ;)

Woah, cool! Always nice to receive a direct message from someone you admire. Well the cat's out of the bag since your boyfriend must know about your Alex crush. Hey, but maybe if your bf is a fs fan, he has a crush too, that is for Alex and Maia's on-ice awesomeness. ;)

10. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Thank you Lanie, Jenna, and Sylvia for those links. I love these vids and never get tired of seeing them. Everyone seems to be having so much fun, and I just love seeing that:)

me three. Alex is hawt, and can really move, as others have remarked.:swoon:

JohnnyFever, why must anyone adhere to the gender binary system? Why do the ways in which skaters negotiate their gender identity concern you so much?

11. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

Because, in the eyes of the general public, famous male figure skaters represent all male figure skaters. I don't want people thinking that we're all like that. Its embarrassing and potentially career threatening.

12. masofs

masofs New Member

I love this. So much fun. Taka sleeping is the best part. :lol:

For God's sake, who cares what people think? And if they think like that they are just ignorant and homophobic. I don't understand what the problem is. This is only a video with skaters having fun.

13. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Ok, now I'm back to thinking you're just yanking our chains and giggling over the serious responses. No one can be this stupid.

Unless you really are a 12 yo boy skater afraid to come out, in which case just be yourself. Better to lose a silly competition and win at life than the other way around. And please, how many medals did Rudy and Johnny win? :blah: Give up #keephomophobiaalive and live in 2012 already

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why anyone would argue that because baseball players are supposedly less "effeminate" than figure skaters, they are somehow more likely to be heterosexual. After all, baseball involves "pitchers," "catchers," men putting their hands on their "bats," and playing on the "same team" as eight other guys. ;)

15. misskarne

:rolleyes:

I don't even know where to START with that one...

16. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

For many people in the general public, "male skaters" only brings to mind Jimmy MacElroy and Chazz Michael Michaels, not Alex Shibutani, Takahiko Kozuka or Charlie White. Also, athletes in various sports make silly videos all the time (not to mention wearing outlandish costumes on Dancing With the Stars). Really - calm down. Alex Shibutani's Youtube productions will have zero effect on you.

The video's awesome, of course, as was the Shibs' earlier Friday one with Adam Rippon. If Alex and Maia happen to see this: please continue. If anyone from the Orange Team sees this: please interview the Shibs, if you haven't yet.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  17. care bear

care bear Active Member

Yes! Please!:)

18. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Not even this one:

Share it maybe

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Rather, let's all celebrate figure skaing as a sport which allows members of any sex and sexual orientation have amazing athletic achievement and express themselves. I'd much rather general public move into 21st century than skaters present any kind of "image".
    Cutest video, IMO. Saw swimmers and baseball players, as well, and laughed all the way. Skaters rule, though, because they can dance.

20. sleepypanda

sleepypanda Member

I love this video! I was getting exhausted with the song, yet when it showed up in my YouTube subscription, I couldn't help but watch and rewatch this video because the skaters are being silly and having so much fun with it.

Maybe it's because of their youth, but I think Maia and Alex make the most effective use of social media platforms to build a community with skaters and fans alike. Not only do you get Alex's hilarious tweets on a regular basis, you also get the occasional brilliantly written IN blogs, photos after each event on Facebook, Instagram photos, and now YouTube videos! Being a fan of a sport that currently relies on laggy livestreams at ungodly hours of the night/morning and shaky fancams, anything extra from skaters themselves is really appreciated. Thanks for spoiling me Maia and Alex! Keep it up! :D

21. missysays

missysays Active Member

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cookie Monster!!!!

22. misskarne

COOKIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :rollin:

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Not that I agree with Johnny Fever's point but whether you like it or not but figure skating is perceived as a 'gay sport'.

(I say screw it and embrace the camp. :D)

24. aftershocks

:rofl: :rollin:

Love the drummer's deadpan cool. :cool:

25. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Yes- he is one good looking guy.

Of course, now Johnny Fever has let me know that by doing this video he is a lesser gay, I guess I'm wasting my time. (Or maybe he is a greater gay but I didn't already know it?)

26. Johnny_Fever

I never bothered to watch the whole video, but lets take a specific example. At 0:13, there's a guy up front, dressed in black walking towards camera in a hotel hallway. His mannerisms make Johnny Weir look like Chuck Norris. Any non-skater in the world would watch that and have his mind made up.

27. masofs

masofs New Member

So what? Why does it bother you so much?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Johnny_Fever

You prefer a world were genders don't exist and everyone is androgynous? That's fine, but I suspect that it puts you in the minority.

29. masofs

masofs New Member

:rolleyes:

Well, I prefer a world where people have freedom to be themselves.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  30. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Are you sure you're actually a skater? Because that guy you didn't even bother to name is Jeffrey Buttle, who shouldn't be difficult for a skating fan to recognize. And he is clearly having some fun with his friends. Who cares if he's not acting like some kind of action hero? Who says all men have to behave in a specific, Johnny_Fever approved way? Go watch something else if this offends you so deeply. :rolleyes: