Skating Call Me Maybe parody

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lanie, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

Because, in the eyes of the general public, famous male figure skaters represent all male figure skaters. I don't want people thinking that we're all like that. Its embarrassing and potentially career threatening.
  2. masofs

masofs New Member

I love this. So much fun. Taka sleeping is the best part. :lol:

For God's sake, who cares what people think? And if they think like that they are just ignorant and homophobic. I don't understand what the problem is. This is only a video with skaters having fun.
  3. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Ok, now I'm back to thinking you're just yanking our chains and giggling over the serious responses. No one can be this stupid.

Unless you really are a 12 yo boy skater afraid to come out, in which case just be yourself. Better to lose a silly competition and win at life than the other way around. And please, how many medals did Rudy and Johnny win? :blah: Give up #keephomophobiaalive and live in 2012 already
  4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why anyone would argue that because baseball players are supposedly less "effeminate" than figure skaters, they are somehow more likely to be heterosexual. After all, baseball involves "pitchers," "catchers," men putting their hands on their "bats," and playing on the "same team" as eight other guys. ;)
  5. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

:rolleyes:

I don't even know where to START with that one...
  6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

For many people in the general public, "male skaters" only brings to mind Jimmy MacElroy and Chazz Michael Michaels, not Alex Shibutani, Takahiko Kozuka or Charlie White. Also, athletes in various sports make silly videos all the time (not to mention wearing outlandish costumes on Dancing With the Stars). Really - calm down. Alex Shibutani's Youtube productions will have zero effect on you.

The video's awesome, of course, as was the Shibs' earlier Friday one with Adam Rippon. If Alex and Maia happen to see this: please continue. If anyone from the Orange Team sees this: please interview the Shibs, if you haven't yet.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  7. care bear

care bear Active Member

Yes! Please!:)
  8. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Not even this one:

Share it maybe
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Rather, let's all celebrate figure skaing as a sport which allows members of any sex and sexual orientation have amazing athletic achievement and express themselves. I'd much rather general public move into 21st century than skaters present any kind of "image".
    Cutest video, IMO. Saw swimmers and baseball players, as well, and laughed all the way. Skaters rule, though, because they can dance.
  10. sleepypanda

sleepypanda New Member

I love this video! I was getting exhausted with the song, yet when it showed up in my YouTube subscription, I couldn't help but watch and rewatch this video because the skaters are being silly and having so much fun with it.

Maybe it's because of their youth, but I think Maia and Alex make the most effective use of social media platforms to build a community with skaters and fans alike. Not only do you get Alex's hilarious tweets on a regular basis, you also get the occasional brilliantly written IN blogs, photos after each event on Facebook, Instagram photos, and now YouTube videos! Being a fan of a sport that currently relies on laggy livestreams at ungodly hours of the night/morning and shaky fancams, anything extra from skaters themselves is really appreciated. Thanks for spoiling me Maia and Alex! Keep it up! :D
  11. missysays

missysays New Member

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cookie Monster!!!!
  12. misskarne

COOKIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :rollin:
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Not that I agree with Johnny Fever's point but whether you like it or not but figure skating is perceived as a 'gay sport'.

(I say screw it and embrace the camp. :D)
  14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rollin:

Love the drummer's deadpan cool. :cool:
  15. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Yes- he is one good looking guy.

Of course, now Johnny Fever has let me know that by doing this video he is a lesser gay, I guess I'm wasting my time. (Or maybe he is a greater gay but I didn't already know it?)
  16. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

I never bothered to watch the whole video, but lets take a specific example. At 0:13, there's a guy up front, dressed in black walking towards camera in a hotel hallway. His mannerisms make Johnny Weir look like Chuck Norris. Any non-skater in the world would watch that and have his mind made up.
  17. masofs

masofs New Member

So what? Why does it bother you so much?
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

You prefer a world were genders don't exist and everyone is androgynous? That's fine, but I suspect that it puts you in the minority.
  19. masofs

masofs New Member

Well, I prefer a world where people have freedom to be themselves.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  20. Zemgirl

Are you sure you're actually a skater? Because that guy you didn't even bother to name is Jeffrey Buttle, who shouldn't be difficult for a skating fan to recognize. And he is clearly having some fun with his friends. Who cares if he's not acting like some kind of action hero? Who says all men have to behave in a specific, Johnny_Fever approved way? Go watch something else if this offends you so deeply. :rolleyes:
  21. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Sorry dude, but any guy who watches youtube videos of figure skaters lip synching pop songs is probably already taking it up the pooper. :lol: So, what is his mind made up to know: that Jeff won't punch him if he busts a move?
  22. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

23. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

What skaters are you a fan of, Johnny_Fever?
  24. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

The voidy ones. T&D, the Duchesnays, various other miscellaneous dance teams, Philippe Candeloro doing Saturday Night Fever (as cheesy as it may have been). Christopher Bowman on a good day. John Curry played for the other team, but he never seemed to forget that he was a guy - at least on the ice.

I'm out of touch with the current crop. That's why I didn't know who Jeffrey Buttle was.
  25. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

You joined a skating board, despite being ridiculously homophobic, in 2010 and yet you've been out of touch for so long that you've never heard of the 2008 World Champion and 2006 Olympic bronze medalist? That makes total sense!

I'm sure Jeff Buttle will express his horror over the fact that someone might think he is GAY any time now. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should take a page from Johnny Galecki on the appropriate response to people thinking someone might be gay.
  26. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

My husband who is definitely not gay thought it was hysterical. :D But he likes skating and has since before he met me; he just never watched it that often until we got married!

I do not see why Johnny_Fever is so hung up on this BS. Who the hell cares, it is for fun. Who gives a crap if a skater is gay. I'm supposed to be the eville conservative, come on! :drama: :lol:
  27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol:

Come on Johnny_Fever, as the inimitable Johnny Mac would say, "You CAN NOT be serious!"

As Subway said, "you need to get out more." Seems like your :D to berthesghost's "good point" is at least a good starting point. Now, I think you should just watch the entire skaters' parody video, and then tweet Jeff B to call YOU, maybe! Jeff B's cool moves must have got you so worked up, you felt "crazy."

BTW Johnny_Fever, yes, John Curry never forgot he was a guy and he never forgot he was gay either. Back in his day, it was important to keep it mum publicly. While Curry recognized the importance of portraying a "masculine image" on the ice (in those culturally uptight times), he also learned how to express himself on the ice in a way that displayed a "masculine image" without selling out who he was personally, stylistically, artistically. Once Curry had Olympic gold in his grasp, he stared down the media and answered simply "Yes," to their besides the point, nosy, prying, dumba** query, "Are you gay?"

ETA:
    What many skaters had to endure and the line they had to tiptoe around in earlier eras has changed and is slowly changing even more hopefully for the better. Johnny W rebelled against a lot of "stick-in-the-mud" conventions and he ended up paying a price at times, but frankly the convergence of Johnny's fab image and rebellious stance along with changing attitudes in the larger culture has made attitudes a bit more relaxed in the world of fs. Now it's cool not necessarily to be gay, but to be whoever the h*ll you friggin' are. It's even more cool to express yourself on the ice and allow your talent to speak for you, without worrying so much about whether your costume or your smooth moves portray a "masculine image." If you're skating in the men's field, you're a man, no matter who you're dating or flirting with.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  28. misskarne

I only became a fan watching Vancouver (a "lesser fan" according to some) and didn't start skating until well after that, and I damn well knew who Jeffery Buttle is!

Oh yes, and have you heard of this little thing, called, "dramatic flair"? "acting"? "exaggeration"? "HAVING FUN"?! Jeez. I don't even want to know what my face and mannerisms do when I'm dancing around my bedroom lip-synching...
  29. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

You're a woman. You can cross that line. There's no line to cross.

No, I didn't know who Jeffery Buttle was, and after watching those 5 seconds worth of video footage, I have no intention of finding out more about him. I remember John Curry's amateur/professional transition very distinctly. Even as a professional, he never crossed the line, much the way classically trained male ballet dancers never do.
  30. Zemgirl

Your loss. I am sure Jeffrey Buttle will continue to be happy and successful without your seal of approval.
  31. misskarne

Ten minutes later I still don't know where to begin.

This "line" is in your head. Your closed-minded narrow little brain. Who are you to say where "the line" is? Shouldn't "the line" be a construct of each individual? I know where my line is to be crossed - but it is in a different place to someone else's. So why should Jeff not place the line where he chooses? What gives you the right to tell him - a World champion and Olympic medallist - that he crossed the line?
  32. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

I prefer a world where people aren't shoved into tiny uncomfortable boxes, forced by closed-minded traditionalists who are hell-bent against growing, learning, changing, accepting.

And Jeff Buttle is one of the best, most artistic skaters of all time.

And Bugs Bunny was in drag every week, and no one ever protested.

Men have been co-opting "feminine" gestures, attributes, attitudes, etc. since the dawn of time, for laughs, for fun, to make a point, for homage or tribute, because such things come naturally to some guys, or maybe just because FEMALES ARE AWESOME and we want to be more like them. GET OVER IT.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  33. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

:lol:Loved the video and still hope the last three pages of discussion were result of a joke. In case Johnny_ Fever is not pulling a leg and in skater’s defense I want to say that it takes a very talented and secure person to act and create something this funny and wonderful. Figure skating is not “macho” sport but its fans and sportsmen are as devoted and proud as in any other blood-spitting-buttocks-kicking-teeth-grunting manly sport.:)
  34. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Does being a "lesser fan" mean you go out on dates without telling the guy how recent your interest in skating is? ;)

:eek:

Is that you, Brad Majors?
  35. misskarne

It is worse than that! I actively seek out guys with the intention of deceiving them about the depth of my skating knowledge! :lol:
  36. magnolia

magnolia New Member

Even worse are the 'less than lesser fans', who seek to talk about the depth of their skating knowledge without deception. :yikes:

I love every single moment of the video, and so do many others. 92,576 viewings in less than a week!
  37. MarieJessup

MarieJessup New Member

I just saw the Call Me Maybe video and you can count me with those that LOVE:swoon: it. The skaters have such a great sense of fun and humor you just can't help but smile and laugh along with them.:rofl: It makes me so happy to see how much fun they had making this video for us. I won't even comment to Johnny_Fever, because It's my opinion that he has some issues that need work. He seems like a homophobic bigot, to me, but that's just my opinion:confused:
  38. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

39. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Thumbs way up for Cookie Monster!

Going back to the original thread topic: Who else finds Mervin Tran totally adorable?
  40. ItalianFan

ItalianFan New Member

I thought the cookie monster was the best one of all.....