Skating Call Me Maybe parody

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lanie, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I hope this wasn't posted but the Shibs put up this video of The Ice cast doing a Call Me Maybe parody. :rofl:

Link!

2. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Love it!

3. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

Great. As if we don't have a gay enough reputation.

4. just wondering

just wondering Member

Are you kidding me? gay? These types of videos are incredibly popular with teens and young adults, and even we older people find them cute. :lol: I think it makes these skaters look hip and relevant, which can only help shore up the dwindling attraction to skating.
    Next maybe we'll see a flash mob video, though I think music video remakes like this one have replaced those, at least for smaller groups.

I hope it goes viral, or is at least wildly popular.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

who are "we"?

6. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It feels like the first 1 or 2 were enough. Now there are way too many of these copy cat "Call Me" videos.

8. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I'm failing to see why this is allegedly "gay".

You really need to get over your homophobia :rolleyes:

I loved this, I laughed so hard. So much sense of humour there! I wish there were more things like this.

9. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I really, really hate this song. It's at the point where these parodies are not funny anymore.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

11. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

What the hell, gay reputation? Come on. It's adorable and fun, enjoy it and don't complain, but it's FSU so I guess some people must complain! :rolleyes:

Thanks Sylvia for the other video!

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  12. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

For those who don't find the shibs rendition "gay enough" there's a call me maybe video by shirtless albecrobe & Fitch boys. It don't get more gay that that! :p

13. midori

midori Well-Known Member

I don't care if there are hundreds of other parody of the song (perhaps there are).

The thing is that the show was fun, apparently the cast of the ICE 2012 were also having so much fun, and I love it!

14. query5

query5 New Member

i like it

15. brightphoton

brightphoton New Member

So creative and avant garde. Does everyone have to make a "parody" video of this song? I'm pretty sure parody means something other than lipsyncing badly to a song.

16. Sk8fun

Sk8fun Active Member

I loved it! It looks like they had a great time filming it. Nothing wrong with having some fun.

17. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

It was cute when Harvard Baseball did it; then SMU but now its just tired. :rolleyes:

18. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Looks like they're having fun, but I could do to never hear this song again ever.

19. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Three legged race skating looks scary.

20. mkats

mkats New Member

HAHA I love "sleepy Taka"

21. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yeah, thanks, good that it's posted here too. :) It's also already posted in The Ice 2012 Japan thread in GSD. :cool:

When something is fun and funny, I don't think on the funny level that it ever gets tired, unless the parody isn't that well done. :lol: Reminds me of the viral "kid in car after dentist visit" video and all the kooky parodies that came afterward. Also the viral video of that fun/ funny dance down the aisle real wedding ceremony and all the copycat vids (including the Royal Wedding dance down aisle parody) and the hilarious parody with bride and groom dancing with their attorneys and the judge into divorce court. ;)

Thanks for the second "Call Me Maybe" video link, Sylvia.

ETA:
    Here's a cute, non-skating related "Call Me Maybe" parody: :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM7nlIsBLoc&feature=related

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  22. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I love it, I love the swimmers, loved seeing Fran Carroll, too.

It's good to see kids who work so hard having fun.

I'll post my parody of it when I get the other Social Security recipients together.:p

23. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there absolutely no reason why anyone who is tired of these videos can't just... not watch them?

24. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

That would be too easy. ;)

25. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

The videos you provided are the same concept, but not as effeminate. The general public already has preconceptions about male figure skaters. When the famous ones act effeminate in public, it just confirms what people already suspect.

26. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

:eek: OMG you were serious!?! WTF! I thought you were joking. Wow, homophobic much? :rolleyes:

27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

effeminate = female

female = bad

female + bad = sexism

28. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

They have to be trolling. Unless the Johny in their Johnny fever isn't Johnny Weir

29. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? Jeez, and what exactly might it be that "people already suspect." :sekret: When you look at any or all of these parodies, who are you picking out and labeling as gay or effeminate?

"Not as effeminate" as what?! Not even the original singer's video was "effeminate" if you ask me. The punchline in the original was just kinda unexpected and therein funny. But I didn't see anything "effeminate" about it. The buff guy gave his phone number to another guy in the band, not realizing that the female singer was preparing to give him her number. Perhaps its kinda a comment on a more accepted reality these days among young people, but not a "put-down" on being gay necessarily. There are some very pointed, some amateurish and some hilarious parodic take-offs of the original, but mostly all the kids and athletic teams doing parodies are just having fun. Because believe it or not, the whole thing is about being young and meeting someone you are attracted to, and maybe believing in love at first sight, and having raging hormones and fantasies that make you feel crazy sometimes.

But also I think its important to understand that the younger generation for the most part doesn't accept or buy-in to the stereotypical notions older generations have been saddled with. This younger generation is trying to shed the antiquated notions and find their own way and be proud of just who they are, whether gay, straight, athletes, singers, college kids, Olympic team members, or figure skaters on tour. Not saying they have been able to completely shed the stereotypes and prejudices passed down to them, but they're trying.

:rollin:

Come to think of it, the prejudicial notions are not always held by older people, just maybe by uptight people unable to get beyond their own fears and/ or traumas.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  30. Subway

Subway New Member

I think you need to get out more. Gay isn't bad. In addition, straights and gays have parodied this song all over youtube. Seriously. Get out more. Gay isn't bad. Get with the times. Being that uptight parodies itself.

I don't think the video is effeminate, not that there's a problem with that. But if it were especially effeminate, OMG. What if figure skating had more figure skaters as well known and popular as the effeminate Johnny Weir? What a horror. What if figure skating had more athletes who were secure in themselves instead of ridiculous, who loved to have fun, who didn't take themselves seriously, who were as effective as Alex Shibutani in making a community out of a bunch of touring figure skaters and their fans? What if everybody were as cool and accessible as Alex Shibutani? Figure skating could become popular. Best keep it deadly serious and leaking money.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012