Skates loose at ankles

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Jozet, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

My skater child got new skates about 2 months ago. After being measured and fit by someone who knows what they are doing, she went up a full size in skates.

She says the skates fit well in the toe and sides, but we go through three, four, five+ skate re-ties every practice session because she says the skates aren't tight enough on top (the area where you begin criss-crossing the laces through the hooks).

The skate pro says that with this model Riedell, the padding can make them feel more cushy and roomy, and that yes, after skating a while the skates can heat up and loosen a bit.

However, even when I tie the skates as tight as I can - and let me tell you, I put every ounce of pressure on the laces and even sometimes tie knots between each cross at the top - she's off the ice in ten minutes or less saying the skates still don't feel tight enough.

Her coach has tied the skates, the skate pro has tied the skates, 200 lb. hockey players have tied the skates....everyone who should know what they are talking about says the skates seem tight enough even for the size of the jumps she's doing.

I think it's all in her head.

However, before I begin down the psychoanalysis route, I'm just wondering whether anyone else has truly had this problem of skates continually not staying tight enough - or feeling tight enough - at the top even though they fit through the bottom?

And if so, were you able to solve the problem and how?

We've had more tears over these darn skates, and I'm about to throw my hands up and say, "too bad, skate or don't skate." (Well, I have already said that, but I'm about to stick to it. ;))

But before I do so, I really want to make sure that there's not something I'm missing. I know it's hard to diagnose without seeing the skates/skater, but any btdt experience one way or another - either for yourself or as a parent of a skater - would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

I can't speak to your child's particular problem, obviously, but I did feel my last pair of skates was too wide around the ankles. They fit fine through the toe box, and were perhaps also a little too wide at the heel. I solved the ankle problem by wearing Bunga ankle sleeves to take up the extra space. Eventually, I switched to boots by a different manufacturer because they fit my heel better.

3. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

All I can suggest is to listen to your child, she is the one who has to skate in them. I sympathize with what you are going through but I would say the bottom line is if she is resisting this much then she really doesn't like how these skates feel. It sounds like she's had them on long enough to get used to them (if that were the only problem).

4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

What kind of laces do you have? Nylon laces tend to slip; cotton or cotton blends might make a difference if the skates have nylon laces.

Also: Is she pushing her heel completely back into the boot before lacing? You'll often see skaters with their boots on, getting ready to tie them, and banging their heel. This is to force the heel all the way back.

You might already have done these things, but it's what springs to mind. Good luck!

5. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Your daughter is probably used to feel the tightness of the boot. If it is padded a lot in that particular area, it may not feel as tight as she is used to. I would think within a few more months the laces will make some deeper marks in the tongue and it should get tighet. In the meantime you could try to fill out the space with bungas sleeves as someone already advised.

I had similar problem when I started using different boots than I was used to, but it did go away. Saying that, I can't really promise that it will go away in your daughter's case, because her boots may be much wider than mine were, I don't know...

6. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Thanks, everyone!

Mostly, I was just concerned that my daughter might be using "loose skates" as an excuse to not practice. She's working on some elements that are giving her trouble, and I just wanted to make sure this wasn't one of those "the ice is slippery today" things.

I'll try the Bunga pads and maybe a new pair of laces. Also, I'll tell her to make sure the heel is back in the boot.

Any other thoughts/ideas are welcome!

Thank you for the reality check!

7. nicklaszlo

nicklaszlo Member

My skates always need retightening after about 5 minutes, and sometimes after 30 minutes also. Retightening them seems to have helped my foot pain decrease. The skates may heat up when worn, but (as someone at Rainbo pointed out) the feet may also shrink! I think the foot really should not move around much in the boot.

8. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Yes, that's what the skate pro and her coach said, and what I've noticed myself (even though I'm only a rec skater.) They both said it's normal for one, maybe two reties.

This afternoon, she didn't even get on the ice for about 20 minutes, that's how many reties she needed until they felt right even the first time. Argh!

I'm thinking now...her last pair of skates were narrow width. But again, she keeps complaining that the top part is the part that doesn't feel tight enough. Maybe she's just overcompensating somehow with tying tighter at top to make up for the different feel of a boot that's not narrow width?

Maybe next time a different brand skate, although not sure one can be ordered for "super skinny ankle".

Thanks again!

9. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Did you get some Bunga ankle sleeves? I think those should help.

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Some Riedells do come in split widths. Mine are an A toe and AA heel. What model is she wearing?

11. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

I'm going to order some. I hope that helps. Thanks! :)

12. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

I'm almost positive judging by look and price that it's the 1310 LS.

13. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

I'm almost positive judging by look and price that it's the 1310 LS.

14. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Those should come in the split width. Worthwhile to check into when you're buying her next pair if you're happy with the boots otherwise.

15. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Cotton laces feel much tighter than nylon ones. I usually have to re-tie my laces after 15-20 minutes.

I have split width boots

I haven't tried bunga ankle sleeves, but I will order some.

16. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

A part of your daughter's complaint could be psychological. I know many, many kids start complaining about their boots before major competitions, and after competitions are over, boots problems magically disappears. :)

Also, as others mentioned, the width of the boots may be too wide. A girl I know had the same problem, and she was told that the heel of her boots were too wide. She got a new pair with much narrower width in heels and she's fine now.

Wearing Bunga pads and cotton/half cotten laces certainly help, too.