Skaters you want to like

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by centerstage01, Oct 7, 2012.

1. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

You see a skater who obviously has talent and can jump and spin with the best of them, but on some level they do nothing for you. You want to be a fan but it's just not happening.

For me, it's Julia Lipnitskaya. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about her skating that turns me off. Musicality, hyper-flexibility, small jumps, I don't know. I want to like her because she's got qualities I look for in ladies skaters, but she's just not clicking for me.

2. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Julia Lipnitskaya
    Elena Radionova
    Patrick Chan
    Jeff Buttle
    Shibutani/Shibutani

That's just to name a few.

I felt this way about Kwan for a long time too. Then after she retired, I realized (after seeing the other American and world ladies) that she's just got this indefinable quality about her skating.

3. kiss-n-cry

kiss-n-cry Team Brown

Of the current skaters:

Richard Dornbush (something about his shoulders)
    Chock & Bates
    Patrick Chan

There may be more, but I am drawing a blank at the moment! With Chan, I am looking forward to seeing him live at Worlds, because maybe seeing him in person will soften my opinion a bit. We'll see... if its a splatfest then he's out of luck.

4. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Sometimes if I notice two competing skaters at the same time, I tend to like one and not the other, no matter how hard I try to like them both. (Even if I know one is better than the other)

Dornbush. I should love him, but......(I like Miner)

Buttle. Something about the phony smile. (I like Lambiel)

Asada. (I like Kim and Ando)

Lysacek. I don't like the phony persona. (I used to like Weir)

exception- Abbott and Carriere like them both, as well as Mroz

exception- I like all of the US ladies skaters

5. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Jeff Buttle, on paper he has all that I wanted in a male skater. He had the best programs and was obviously David Wilson's muse. But I could never really get into him. I think I just couldn't get past a certain way that he held his upper body carriage as well as how he would open his mouth when it came time to be expressive.

6. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Yuzuru Hanyu

7. misskarne

misskarne #408

Stephane Lambiel - my god, a gorgeous skater, but I just can't seem to get into him.

Yuzuru Hanyu and Daisuke Takahashi - fantastic skaters and I understand why they're so beloved but I just don't feel it.

I wanted to give Chan a go. Really I did.

8. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Hanyu and the Shibutanis.. they're boring.

9. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Plushenko. I keep trying but he just doesn't do it for me.

Dornbush (I also like Miner) - but waiting to see how he develops.

Also waiting to feel some kind of connection with Hanyu - maybe it will come.

I'm sure there's lots of others but that's all for now.

10. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Evan Lysacek

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Funny thing, I actually did like Evan Lysacek, Tara Lipinski, Rachael Flatt, Nobunari Oda, and Patrick Chan when I first saw them skate. But as time passed, their skating became less and less appealing. I can admire their accomplishments, but I'm just not a fan. I admit that part of the problem for me with Evan and Rachael, and to some extent Tara, was the seeming over-favoritism they received from U.S. federation (in Tara's case, it was more favoritism from the press and the international judges more than from the U.S. federation). Re Oda, I thought he was quite cute and talented in the beginning. But he hasn't developed any artistry or musicality to go along with his superb jumping ability. It got to the point where I became annoyed by the way the judges seem to favor him because of his technical ability, while they seem to ignore his weak presentation skills.

In Patrick's case, it is more his overindulgent and overly defensive, often aggressive fans that are a huge turn-off, in addition to the over-hyping he has received from Canadian media, and the over-scoring he has undeniably received from ISU judges. Some of the things Patrick has been quoted as saying in the past have also been a turn-off. However, he's moved on from those mistakes that were perhaps largely caused by his immaturity and the intensity of the spotlight. I do appreciate Chan's talent, and it's cool to see him skating so beautifully, aside from the jumps (sigh) ... What is it about the early season that causes him to stumble and fall so much? The biggest turn-off for me has been how the judges continually have given him breaks with mistake-ridden programs, plus his fans exhibiting outrage and denial whenever this is commented on.

I do like and admire Jeffrey Buttle, but I'm just not a huge fan. Some of his programs are so wonderful, and I enjoy watching him often. However, there is something about the way some of his movements and mannerisms seem studied and affected that keeps me from being a full blown fan. I didn't like Michal Brezina when I first saw him skate, especially because he was favored by the judges for his jumps, while they ignored his weak presentation skills. I've always loved Tomas Verner and I feel he's often had poor luck with the judges. Now, I am more interested in Michal and I'm eager to see if he will be able to develop more artistry and musicality to match his jumping ability.

I have a fondness for Brian Joubert, but again I was never a huge fan. I like both Richard Dornbush and Ross Miner, but I kinda love Ross more. I like both Joshua Farris and Jason Brown, but I kinda love Jason more. I admire Tatiana and Max, but I love Aliona and Robin. I truly love Stephane Lambiel and I probably would have loved him even more if not for the fact that Johnny Weir captured my heart with his skating.

At first I simply admired Jeremy Abbott's skating, then I grew to love him and his skating. I'm a huge fan. When I first saw Dai skate, I felt he was just a jumper with no refinement and no artistry. Dai has developed his skating so much over the years -- that's what I find so amazing about him. He made himself into a great champion because of how he's continually challenged himself and been inspired by his peers and mentors. I admire Kozuka and Hanyu, but I love Dai Takahashi.

I also have to say that I wanted to love Sasha Cohen, but I never really have. I admired her talent and sometimes I rooted for her, but I always loved and rooted for Michelle Kwan more. I've never really been a huge fan of either Yagudin or Plushenko, but I love Sasha Abt. At first, I admired Matt Savoie, and then I fell in love with his skating.

In the beginning, Ashley Wagner was perhaps overshadowed by the over-hyping of Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu. I always admired Ashley's spunk, but then I slowly became a fan. I found it very annoying when Rachael Flatt seemed to be favored over both Ashley and Mirai. However, Ashley weathered the disappointments and the personal struggles, and it is so wonderful to see her shine. She decided not to give up and she made a huge change, moved across country to train with John Nicks, put in the hard work, believed in herself and made good things happen. :saint:

12. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Sasha Cohen
    Kimmie Meissner
    Alena Leonova

Evan Lysacek
    Ross Miner
    Florent Amodio
    Evgeni Plushenko

13. blackrose050

blackrose050 Active Member

Patrick Chan
    Evan Lysacek
    Carolina Kostner
    Nobunari Oda

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Patrick Chan
    Carolina Kostner
    Akiko Suzuki

Sasha Cohen (didn't like her as an eligible; liked as a pro)
    Stephane Lambiel ( I have grown to like him more recently, as a pro; same with Sasha)
    Kazakova-Dmitriev (I don't dislike them, but I don't absolutely like/love them)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  15. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Patrick Chan

Volhozhar and Trankov- I theoretically should be an uber of their skating, but their Emo bullshit last year was just :blah:

Virtue and Moir- I love so much about their skating, but I think their choreography is dull, and I feel Zueva has made no attempt whatsoever to develop any versatility within their expression

Weaver and Poje-I am in the minority, I know, but I really could not stand Lara Fabian last year. It was just so cheesy and preposterous. I think this year's FD is dull as dishwater, and the music sounds like Muzak to me. There is so much about their skating I love , but I cannot get into their choreography at all.

Yuna Kim- Zzzzzz, just no musicality or expression.

16. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Buttle. zzZ

(But he was awesome at this Japan Open.)

17. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Julia Lipnitskaya (liked her better when she first appeared at Russian Nats 2011 than I do now)
    Polina Edmunds
    Yuna Kim
    Angela Wang (sort of)
    Adelina Sotnikova

Oda (I've always been a Kozuka girl myself)
    Patrick Chan
    Plushy

Volosozhar and Trankov (I never completely forgave him for the way things ended to Masha, and I had a hard time adjusting to them)

Virtue and Moir
    Lynn and Logan (don't want to butcher their last names. I like them, but I have a hard time really loving their skating)

There are others, but I can't remember all of them right now.

18. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Elena Liashenko.

Only because she is still setting up for that triple lutz she started in 1995.

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

NONE, too hard to try. Just like what I like.

aliceanne and (deleted member) like this.
  20. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan :shuffle:

21. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Well she first has to finish that one she started in 1994 first. You can't rush these things.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  22. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the worst lutz take off ever. Then that weird stroking. :scream:

23. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Abbot. Does nothing for me.

I wish I appreciated Weir more consistently. (This seems partially related to his coach tinkering with his jumps.)

24. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

hay people the Title is Skaters you want to "Like"
    not skaters you like to hate :confused:

wouldn't mentioning Buttle or Lysacek be reduntant ?

25. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Tuktamisheva
    Sotnikova
    Plushenko
    Yu-Na Kim
    Evan Lysacek
    Stephane Lambiel
    Amodio

26. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I can't warm up to the younger Russian ladies. I admire their jumps and spins but they seem bored/disinterested/robotic in their deliveries, especially Lipnitskaya, Radianova and Sotnikova. Leonova is a huge exception to the norm, as she is full of energy and excitement.

27. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

They're kind of like having one doll with three interchangeable heads.

28. yossalu

yossalu Member

I always wanted to like Buttle, I really did. I can't even fully explain why I just never could get into him. Partly it might be because I clung to my favourites and did not like it when he beat them--I knew he was a better skater than Joubert in most ways, but he couldn't excite me the same way that Brian does (no, it's not just his arse). I always wanted Sandhu to have the kind of success that Buttle enjoyed, and though Sandhu was only ever in his own way I somehow couldn't love another national competitor the same way. So I hated to see Buttle get those great National, World and Olympic placements over them even though I didn't like that it bothered me so.

I started out loving Chan and liking Lysacek. Over time my enthusiasm for both of them waned and when I read posts from their biggest fans I could truly appreciate their talents and understood why people would defend and adore them. I agree with most of their placements over the years. I realise that my reasons for being turned off by them off-ice would not be turn-offs for me from another skater (once again, I use the example of Joubert). But they will never mean to me what an Abbott or a Takahashi mean, not close. This is even true for Yu-Na Kim and Virtue & Moir--they are amazing, but it is Mao and Davis & White that I adore.

I am embarrassed to admit that I do not always get into Volosozhar & Trankov. Last year's short program did not work for me, and though I forgive this sort of thing in Savchenko & Szolkowy I could not get past it for them. This can often be true as well for Pechalat & Bourzat, I only really root for them when I love their current programs. City Lights, love. That clock program, not so much.

I will say I do seem to have a great talent for finding the also-rans, the runner-ups and the headcases early on in their careers. Now I can only hope that some of my newer favourites don't end up in those categories and break my heart all over again.

29. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Skaters who have artistry as their best quality

30. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Yes, we know :lol:. For myself, sometimes I do enjoy watching skaters from lower groups who are not that technically good, but try to express something and be artistic, but that really can't be compared to how much I enjoy skaters who have both the technique and artistry. Because only skaters with very good technique can fully express their artistry on ice.

True, jumping technique may not be so important for artistry, especially when it comes to exhibition programs where skaters can do less and simpler jumps/throws (although good jumps can look beautiful too). In competition programs it's a bit different - simpler jumps/throws that are done cleanly won't spoil the impression, but numerous falls (or even one) and/or really bad landings can spoil the impression even with the most artistic skater. Beautiful and well executed lifts really add to the impression with pairs skaters/ice dancers. But, for me, skating skills are the most important part of skater's technique that really helps to express the artistry - especially with singles skaters and ice dancers. Sometimes even skaters with just okay skating skills can jump pretty well, or do really complicated lifts - but only in rare occasions that is just as artistically appealing to me as something that skaters with excellent skating skills could do. And really slow and/or ugly spins don't help with the artistic impression either :lol:. To sum it up - I do love skaters who's main quality is supposed to be their artistry, but only if their technique is on par, or almost on par with it (like Lambiel ;) - his jumps may not be the best, but they weren't/are not the worst ether, and his triple jumps and double axel look beautiful when well executed, but his skating skills and spins were/are just wonderful). But all the technique in the world won't help if I don't see enough artistry in a skater, or if a skater just doesn't excite me.

Sorry for that huge off-topic, but I just couldn't keep from answering.

Back to the topic: Yes, it's also Chan for me. But I am starting to like him slowly (those SS, and, as for artistry/performance - he's trying :)), although most likely I will never love him. Hanyu - last season it seemed so close, and I thought: "Here's a skater for me to watch in the future.". But, unfortunately, his programs for this season are a bit disappointing for me. I can't think of any other current skater whom I would want to like, but couldn't. Rather, there are some separate programs that I want to like but just can't. Weaver/Poje's new programs, for instance. I see that their FD is really good and beautiful, but it just doesn't do it for me (actually, one of the reasons is that, although the movements in it are beautiful, there is not enough of them, in my opinion). And this can happen with favorites too - I am far from ecstatic about Takahashi's new programs, although I want to like them very much. That has become a trend with Weir's programs. Sometimes I don't particularly like some program of Buttle. Now I almost dread seeing Abbott's new programs. And so on.

As for older skaters - I must say that I haven't seen everything that Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze have done, but from what I have seen I don't like them nearly as much as I feel I should. Probably I am forgetting someone else.

Fortunately, there's very little that I really, really dislike, and no one/nothing that I hate (imho, it's absolutely childish to hate a skater or a program). I either love it, like it, am okay with, or quite indifferent to it (except those cases when I don't like a favorite's or otherwise likeable skater's program as much as I want to like it - then I dislike my inability to get excited about the program more than the program itself :lol:).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012