Skaters who won the Olympic Gold, skating on home ice

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Feb 4, 2012.

1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The Grand Prix final shows Chan can make many more mistakes than Takahashi and beat him one program. Then add the fact there are 2 programs, and yes it quite believable what you just said would transpire. Even if that isnt the case, a clean Takahashi would score much higher than any of the other current men , so it certainly applies to everyone else with that probably being a conservative estimate, and since Takahashi almost never skates cleanly, it is safe to see Chan has atleast a 5 fall margin worth of error over both programs.

2. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Chan can fall five times total and still win provided others splat too, which was what happened to him and Taka in GPF. That is not what a "five falls margin" really means though.

3. Proustable

Proustable New Member

EXACTLY. I mean, Chan fell twice and beat Fernandez who fell once by three points at Skate Canada. Chan falls three times, or has his second fall on an actual element - he loses.

4. judgejudy27

Chan had far more mistakes in the long program then Takahashi did and still won the LP phase. Combine that over two programs and that margin virtually doubles and is now enormous. Add to that Takahashi is certain to never skate clean, and none of the current men are at Takahashi's level (both in ability and popularity with judges) and Chan easily has a 5 fall margin.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Chan won because of his TES base mark was mad high and he was able to rotate all the points grabbing jumps. But whether Chan's "margin" is due to unfair judging or Chan's is just so much better is not the discussion here I suppose.

Again, Chan wins even if he falls five times will only happen if his competitors splats multiple times also. I still don't think that's what a "five falls margin" means.

Back on topic, I am also very surprised that the home team only generates a few Gold medalists! What does that mean for the "home field advantage" at the Olympics?

6. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Poor Russia! The olys finally come to them and they most probably won't win either pairs or dance, or men either. If only Sochi had been in 06.

I wonder how this list compares to those who bombed at home: bonaly, kostner, Eldridge, etc...

7. judgejudy27

Russia probably wont win pairs? That is news to me. :lol:

8. berthesghost

Sorry, pairs have become so dreadfully dull in recent years ive stopped paying attention, but I thought it was understood that s&s had a "5 fall advantage" for gold :lol: So which Frankenstein russian pair is favored for gold then, the guy who keeps slamming that poor Japanese girl into the ice over and over again, or the one that's made up of two halves of last olys #2 and 3 pairs ripped apart and sewn back together? :p

9. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Haha, the reason no host nation has an olympics gold in pairs is mostly thanks to Russians/Soviets it self. First Winter Olympics soviets competed was at 1960, and from 1964 onwards they started dominating the pairs, russians continued the tradition until it was broken by Shen/Zhao broke the streak at 2010 games. It is worth laughing that some people using their on success to argue that russians won't win pairs gold medal.

Same is true with ice dancing they dominated the field with only losing gold medal 3 times when they competed. Whether they will win gold medal at Sochi is anybodies guess. However it is interesting that their own success is causing people to that russians won't succeed at sochi 2014.

10. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Somebody is still living in Jurassic age. I believe you should watch some pairs event from GP finals and world championships before you comment. Yuko and Sasha are not even Russian No.1, it is Volosozhar and Trankov. V/T came in very close second at the GP finals and World championships. I don't think S/S have a 5 fall advantage over K/S, they lost to the K/S at NHK trophy. S/S also lost to Mervin and Tran.

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Not very much. The United States and a combination of the U.S.S.R., Russians on the Unified Team, and Russia have won close to half of the gold medals that have been awarded. The U.S. has hosted the Olympics several times, but Russia hasn't. And of the remaining countries that have produced gold medalists, a few of them, such as Great Britain, Belgium, and the Netherlands, are never going to host the Winter Olympic Games, though Great Britain and Belgium did host Summer Olympics that had figure skating.

12. judgejudy27

Well the GPF shows that S/S have to skate virtually perfectly to beat V/T right now, and it is surprising they have even been up to that task a couple times as that isnt their norm. I dont really think they can improve anymore at this point and he will be pretty old by Sochi, while V/T have been getting better ever since becoming a pair while still mantaining their consistency. I would be very surprised if S/S can stay ahead of V/T until 2014 (maybe hard to do even for Worlds this year). So the answer would be: the one that's made up of two halves of last olys #2 and 3 pairs ripped apart and sewn back together

13. berthesghost

:lol: not that this means anything, butt.... S was 31 in Vancouver when he was beat by a 37 yo man! T will be 31 in Sochi to S's 34.