skaters who will never win important medals

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by gkelly, Feb 9, 2011.

1. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

As fans, we all know the excitement of seeing a promising young skater debut on the elite scene, expecting a great future for them, and following their progress as they come closer and closer to the loftiest goals. The pleasure is even more sweet if they succeed in achieving those goals.

But what about those who shine as promising juniors but who fail to improve or even regress as seniors?

What about skaters who don't have the hardest jump content or the best skating skills when they first appear on the scene and don't make significant technical progress, but who catch fans' attention thanks to artistry or personality or spectacular highlight moves that don't earn many points?

What about skaters who are sound enough technically, often contending for lesser medals and sometimes winning them, but just kind of boring to watch?

What about skaters who are great in practice but are emotionally incapable of skating two good programs in competition, or ever skating a clean long program runthrough in any circumstances?

If we can't hope for high-level competition success for these skaters, should we lose interest in their careers? Advise them to retire or find other skating-related career paths?

Or can we still enjoy their best strong points and root for them to achieve the best they're each capable of?

Who are your favorites that you never expect to see in a final round at Worlds?

2. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

On top of my head, Sawyer and Cassar. I'd love to be proven wrong.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Jenni Vahamaa was one of my favorite promising junior. But we know she will never win a medal at Euros or Worlds. :(
    Artiom Grigoriev is another one. And Jason Brown !!!
    And Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron are my favorite junior dance team, but not sure if we will see them at the top of the World ! They are very young and in progress, so, why not ?

I loved Jordan Brauninger. But he has won a World junior medal.

4. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

. . . almost all skaters will never win important medals.

There are some that are told they won't, but they do.

5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

But you are not fan of all the skaters, are you ? ;)

6. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

When I first started to watch skating, I quickly became a fan of MK and she was always such a sure shot for the podium from 1996-2005, that I just got use to it. MK was obviously a skater who fulfilled her potential and then some.

Now that she is gone, I'm beginning to see that winning multiple major titles or even medaling at major events all the time is actually quite rare. With the exception of Yu-Na, the skaters I root for tend to be "headcases".

Mirai is still young enough that maybe she has a shot at still medaling or winning a major international. However, I don't know about Jeremy. Realistically, his window for winning a World medal or title is probably closing but I'll always root for him and love his skating. I think his programs are really interesting and never cookie cutter. I love his signature entry into his 3x and great skating skills. I love his emotional investment into his programs, I love that he doesn't try to fit into a mold and I love that he's willing to push himself artistically every season by trying different choreographers and styles. He's never content with a just a particular kind of program. I really appreciate that and always will. All these attributes of his skating just make it sweeter when he does manage to do well. I hope he can medal at Worlds but if he never does I'll still be a fan.

In other sports, fans stick by their teams even when they're doing really poorly. I think FS fans should do the same. If you like a skater, you like him or her regardless of the competitive results. That's what being a true fan is all about.

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

For myself, there are many skaters that I connect to, enjoy watching, and really want to see do as well as they can.

That includes some who, at their best, might be within reach of world medals.

It also includes local skaters for whom "doing as well as they can" might mean a one-time trip to sectionals, or even just passing a mid-level test before they go off to college.

And lots of mid-level national or international competitors at various skill levels in between.

The potential for higher-level success isn't what makes me connect to them.

Then there are plenty of other skaters that I don't happen to feel a special personal connection to, but when they skate well it's always nice to see someone happy with how they did. And it's always sad to see a skater perform well below their ability.

Some sports tend to encourage fans to root for their favorites and to root against their favorites' rivals.

One thing I enjoy about figure skating is that for me it's more a matter of watching a field full of favorites and potential favorites competing not so much against each other as against the physical demands of the sport.

Of course, it's competitors' desire to win that pushes the envelope of what the sport demands. :) But in many ways, the real opponents are gravity, inertia, centripetal and centrifugal force...

8. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Define what you mean by "important medals."

IMO, an "important medal" is different depending on the skater. For example, not every nation uses their National championships as the be-all/end-all for Olympic and World team berth selections. A National medal for a US or Canadian skater is then valued as more important than a National medal for an Asian or European skater whose national federations take other factors into play when deciding Olympic/World teams, such as GP Final medal placements or European Championship placements. Likewise, European Championships are still held to a higher esteem than the Four Continents Cup Championships.

So, IMO, importance of medals is probably broken down to something like this:

US/Canadian skater:
    Olympics
    Worlds
    Nationals
    GP Final
    4CC
    GP events

European skater:
    Olympics
    Worlds
    Europeans
    GP Final
    Nationals
    GP events

Asian skater:
    Olympics
    Worlds
    GP Final
    4CC
    Nationals
    GP events

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

My favorite young skaters who may/may not win "important" medals in the future:

Pairs: Donlan/Speroff of the US

Ladies: Forte and Gong of US; Lipnitskaya of Russia

Men: Dyer and Cassar of the US

10. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I like Min-Jung Kwak. I don't think she'll ever have strong enough jumps to win important medals, unless she switched to pairs or something and then maybe, but her skating is still very nice and she has gorgeous lines.

Anna Ovcharova is one of my favorite skaters, but her jump technique is concerning and with the deep field in Russia, who knows if she'll even get to compete at major events.

For men, I think Peter Liebers is a really nice skater who is consistently undermarked.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Rohene Ward.

Rohene Ward.

That's what fans of Rohene Ward are/were used to doing.

Rohene Ward.

:D

Rob, Allen, kwanette and 5 others like this.
  12. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

They are not the same thing, I'm a fan no matter what but once my favorite skater retires after 5 or 7 years or even 10, I have to move on to a new skater. Unlike other sports where a team can last by recruiting players. They NY Yankees aren't going to retire as a team just the players.

13. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

Stephanie Rosenthal and Tugba Karademir.

14. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, how do we know which skaters will or will not win "important medals" until the person's career is over? For example, there was a time when Ryan Bradley ,may well have have made the list.

15. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

And yet, we do see fans and journalists declaring that certain skaters should just retire/turn pro/switch to show skating because they aren't on track for any of the medals on musesk8r's list.

Sometimes even when they have won some of those medals but don't appear likely to earn better ones.

That's what annoys me -- the idea that there's no room in competitive skating for skaters who probably won't bring home medals.

Even if the skater is enjoying the process and even if other fans are enjoying following it.

16. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Never write them off!

:)

17. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

My earliest skating memory- and one of earlierst memories, period- is sitting in front of a little black and white TV with my grandmother( in Russia) as she was going on a simultaneously rapturous and exasperated rant about Toller Cranston- that he is the groundbreaking artist and the best no matter what the medals indicate... I think that, along with my natural inclinations, pretty much determined my skating preferences :D
    I was a huge fan of,( and had a huge crush on... ) Igor Bobrin in the early 1980ies. Lately there are the usual suspects-Savoie, Sawyer, Cassar. Abbott, of course, whether he wins or does not. Rohene Ward mezmerizes, Gary Beacom astonishes ( from what little I saw on youtube- how I would have loved to see them live)
    Talking about Men here, because though I love all disciplines, Men's skating has most often allowed for thoughtful self- expression, and, ultimately, that's what makes me obsessed with skating.

18. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Haha, agree about Rohene, Sylvia! :D

Also Joelle Forte, Melissa Bulanhagui, Samantha Cesario (still young..who knows), Scott Dyer, Daisuke Murakami, and Shawn Sawyer. Gong is also still quite young..she could probably medal at JGPF next year if she skates like she did in the FS at Nationals. I think Lipnitskaya has huge potential...could be a big player in 3-4 years.

Evora/Ladwig, Yankowskas/Coughlin, Lynn and Logan as well.

19. sk8vision

sk8vision New Member

Tugba is already retired last year!

20. MrSatterwhite

MrSatterwhite Barely-Known Member

Fleur Maxwell (aside from National medals)

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Jason Brown is just starting his Senior career and is still a young kid. Why do you already believe that he will never win "important" medals?

22. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Even if you like other skaters once another retires, it doesn't mean you stop liking the skater. I still love MK even though she is no longer competing. Plus, I think my point still applies. When we like a team, we like them when they're having wonderful seasons and when things aren't going well. We like them not because of their results because of the team itself. I will always love the Phillies whether they over or under 500. The same with a skater like Jeremy. I will always love him whether he wins a World title or never manages to break the top 10 at Worlds again.

23. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

Ryan Bradley probably won't compete next season or win any 'worthy' titles, but I don't give a shit. I love his skating so much and the fact he is sharing it with fans is good enough for me. I never begged him via FB or twitter to come back, I respect his decisions and if he was done as of last year, that was good enough for me. However, I am not complaining that he came back because it was all worth it :D.

Watching Ryan skate, for me, is a medal within itself.

I have to agree on Cassar, he's so enticing.

24. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It depends which medals you deem as important medals. However atleast in the following years I would say:

Ashley Wagner
    Caroline Zhang
    Akiko Suzuki
    Kevin Reynolds
    Denney & Barrett

25. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Jonathan Cassar is at the top of my list. I also enjoy Adrian Schulteiss very much. Ditto for Gretchen Donlan and Andrew Speroff. :)

26. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

He did win the silver medal at Skate America in 2009 (Sawyer, I mean). I think that is kind of important, even if it's not a worlds or Olympic medal.

27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Shawn Sawyer and Akiko Suzuki both have a decent shot of winning an ISU championship medal at this year's 4CC. Plus, if Miki Ando does decide to follow through with her plan to take next year off, Akiko should be able to make the Worlds team again.

Gretchen Donlan and Andrew Speroff are both young enough to try out for 2018, in case things don't work out for Sochi. "All" they really need are SBS triple jumps and if Gretchen manages to stay injury free, that could happen next season. I've seen her land 3sals before in practice, but that was before she got injured this year.

28. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

The question is somewhat relative. I interpreted it along the lines of "anybody who is not a World Champion or a World medalist", but of course it could be understood differently.

29. julieann

Love Jeremy and Michelle all you want but after they retire and you can't watch them in competitions anymore you will need to find new skaters to get excited about or you won't be a fan of the sport for very long. I'm also not saying to hate on your favorite skater while they are having a rough time or aren't winning medals.

30. julieann

I was surprised to hear E/L won their first grand prix meadal this season after 6 seasons.