Skaters that have appeared in movies

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jan 25, 2012.

1. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Tonya Harding appeared in "Breakaway" playing the girlfriend of a criminal. And then there's her infamous "Wedding Night Video" ... :EVILLE:

2. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Ice Princess, IIRC.

Also, the Duchesnay appeared in a movie about their own life : Le feu sur la glace (translation : Fire on ice, but I don't know the real name in english).

3. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Vera Hruba Ralston (CZE) went to Hollywood in the early 40's and became "The Queen of Poverty Row" courtesy of 26 movies made for Republic Pictures. She got the name "Ralston" from a cereal box.

4. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Wasn't Michelle Kwan in Ice Princess?

5. eusebius

eusebius Active Member

I was googling Vera Ralston and found out about another skater-turned movie star I didn't know about before:

Belita

Another article about Belita

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Yes, as a commentator.

7. geod2

geod2 New Member

That's right, she was Kathleen Topolsky in that series.
    Wow, you have a good memory to go back that far!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004748/

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

The episiode was "Silent Night", also had Marlee Matlin guest-star.

9. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Tanja played "Diana" in Alles was Zahlt, a fairly far-fetched daytime German soap (which for some reason I am totally addicted to :scream: ) Funnily enough, Diana was an ice skater in the show, and becomes World champion! LOL. There are quite a few clips of Tanja skating and jumping. She left in about 2010 I believe. Tanja is a policewoman in "real life" now?! Random.

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

OMG, this TV-serie in which Tanja played Diana was an horror. Really ridiculous. Usually, I don't care about stupid series, but I've never been able to watch this one more than 5 minutes ! lol

11. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Tara was in "Ice Angel". I think she played herself. BTW. does anyone knpow if Michelle Kwan has ral plans as a Commentator?

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I guess it's possible Kwan might do an occasional special appearance as a TV skating commentator, but from her recent interviews around her Hall of Fame induction at 2012 Nationals in San Jose, it sounds like she is focusing much less on skating these days and much more on a new and different career (perhaps in public diplomacy/policy or something else).

U.S. pair skater/national champ Katie Orscher spent about 2 years in Germany (2007-08) and was the skating double for Tanja Szewchenko while she (Tanja) was still getting back in jumping shape for her role.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Back that far? To 1999?? Some of us can remember Mork & Mindy and Welcome Back, Kotter, youngster. :D

14. Loves_Shizuka

Oh cool, I didn't know that - I did wonder, as the jumps you see her do are triples. I was wondering if Tanja was in great shape, it's edited or what.

:lol: It really is awful, BUT it owns it's awfulness :p It's weird, as I don't watch ANY TV, yet watch this consistently. I think it knows how bad it is and actually just takes the pi$$ out of itself.

15. geod2

geod2 New Member

lol!

I'm a good deal older than you, so I'll gladly wear the title "youngster" anytime it's offered these days!
    :D

Anyway, it's not like JB was even remotely as well-known as M&M and WB,K back then,
    so remembering that little JB career detail from 12-13 years ago was impressive, at least to me...
    ;)

-

16. Laney

Laney Member

No, Tanja is a police woman in a TV-Series. The name of it is "Ein Fall für die Arnheimer". As much as I´m a fan of Tanja, I never watched it. Her daughter Jona also had or has a role in this series. BTW, I cried hundreds of tears when she became world champion in "Alles was zählt" because she skated to her "Speed"-LP as she did in the 1997/1998 season. It was soooo great to see her skate it again! She nearly had all the jumps by that time again. She´s still skating singles and pairs with Norman Jeschke... Would be sooo great to see her live on the ice again!

17. Loves_Shizuka

^ahh, she PLAYS a policewoman! That makes more sense :lol:

Keep it quiet, but I also got a bit misty-eyed when she won :eek: and I agree, her skating actually looks really good!

18. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

This is realllllly a long shot but does anyone have any idea if this show is somehow available with English subtitles?

19. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Bumping this up.

Russell Peters' Breakaway is on CBC tonight. There is a pair of ice dancers in one scene. Does anyone know who they are?

20. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

Brian Joubert will act in a comedy TV series in France!

21. snoopyskater

snoopyskater Member

Tara Lipinski was in an episode of the hidden camera show, Girls Behaving Badly, where she plays herself dealing with a crazy fan.

22. dewey

dewey Member

An old one: Eugene Turner (U.S. Champion 1940-41) was Cary Grant's skating double in the original version of The Bishop's Wife. Turner never got to complete in an Olympics because they were cancelled during WWII.

23. calica

calica Active Member

24. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Alexandra Paul and Mitch Islam.

25. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

No video with English subtitles but i found short summary of "My hot ice/Moy Zharkiy Led'/all 100 episodes/ and if you run it through google translate you 'll get an idea about what is is going on.

http://www.kino-teatr.ru/kino/movie/ros/ser/13501/content/

and you can watch some of the episodes :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NatVT/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=24
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NatVT/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=25
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NatVT/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=26
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NatVT/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=27

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Thank you very much lavenderblue. I figured it was a Canadian team but they never got close enough to show any facial features, of course.

27. foreverkwanfan

foreverkwanfan Member

She was also in Family Guy.

28. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

The movie Moondance Alexander (with Sasha Cohen in it) is currently available on Starz On Demand. At least through Comcast right now. It's available until 5/31

29. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Not only that but she was a lesbian whose partner supported her decision to put her health in danger because she was having an affair with Oksana's rival and they plotted to make sure Oksana would be out of the Olympics.

30. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member