Skaters that have appeared in movies

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

This was inspired by the "Dick Button's acting career" thread.

I started wondering how many other skaters appeared on the silver screen as actors (documentaries don't count)? Sonia Henie's movie career is pretty well known, I think (I saw 'Sun Valley serenade' on TV - may be 4-5 years ago).

Ilia Kulik appeared in Center Stage. I did not see that movie.

Michelle Kwan appeared as a commentator in the movie about the young girl figure skater. I can't remember the title.

Robin Cousins appeared as a commentator in The Cutting Edge. Was Judy Blumberg the other commentator in it? I don't remember.

What happened to Sasha Cohen's plans for a movie career?

2. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Frank Carroll had an uncredited role in some 60s-era teeny bopper beach movies, but he won't say which ones. :lol:

3. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Katherine Healy starred in Six Weeks.

A number of skaters appeared in Blades of Glory: Scott Hamilton was a commentator; Brian Boitano, Peggy Fleming, and Dorothy Hamill were among those who kicked Chazz and Jimmy out of the sport for a time; Sasha Cohen sniffed a dance belt, etc. etc.

Elvis Stojko choreographed and skated in the ice show in Death to Smoochy.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

5. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

it was disney's "ice princess". it was part of her long-standing endorsement contract with disney, she also had a voice cameo (with skating references!) in "mulan 2"

6. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

I haven't seen her in any movie, but I saw her in CSI Miami ;)

7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Wasn't that CSI New York? The episode where US Nationals was held at Chelsea Piers or something like that? :rofl:

8. walei

walei Well-Known Member

There was a whole song in the South Park movie dedicated to Brian Boitano.

"What Would Brian Boitano Do?"

9. Elkmaria

Elkmaria New Member

Evan Lysacek appeared in an 'independent' (as Wikipedia puts it) film Skate Great. I don't know much about this film, but I know that Evan portrayed a certain Vladimir Plushenko, a Russian OGM, which I find hilarious, given that the film was released long before 2010 Olympics :lol:

10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I think it was Jo Jo Starbuck who also had a role as an interviewer in The Cutting Edge.

I know that I saw Sasha Cohen in an episode of Las Vegas as herself. I actually don't watch the show, but I just happened to turn the channel over at the time when I saw her on the show.

Taylor Firth was in the remake of Ice Castles. The original was Lynn Holly Johnson who also did For Your Eyes Only as well as a number of other movies.

11. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

That was CSI:NY, episode called "Silent Night".

12. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

You're right, I made mistake :slinkaway

13. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

And don't forget the pep talk the boys (IIRC it was Kyle) gave Jesus when he was in the boxing match with Satan in the "Damian" episode, where Nancy Kerrigan supposedly won the OG, until one of them (I think it was Stan) pipes up and says "Dude, Nancy won the Silver."

14. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

Let's remember about skaters who apperared in "blades of glory" :p

15. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Brian Boitano also appeared as Michelle's co-commentator in that movie.

I just noticed that Alexandra Najarro is listed in that movie as one of the "Snowplow Sam" kids. I don't know if it is the same Alexandra, but it could be. Ice Princess was filmed in 2004, and she was born in 1993. That would make her about 11 at the time of filming. The movie was also recorded in the Toronto area. Also in the movie were Juliana Cannarozzo and Kirsten Olsen. I assume we are not counting the doubles such as Jennifer Robinson etc.

Oksana Baiul appeared as a commentator on "The Cutting Edge (2): Going for the Gold".

Sasha Cohen had one acting role as a mean girl in a movie called "Moondance Alexander". The movie was related to Equestrian Horseback Jumping, not Figure Skating.

Kristi Yamaguchi appeared as herself in a movie called "Go Figure".

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Katarina Witt appeared towards the end of Jerry McGuire. She showed impressive range in the film :p.

Lynn-Holly Johnson in Ice Castle and a Bond film.

Back in the olden days of course there were Sonja Henie and Belita.

17. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

I had forgotton about that. The Bond film was "For your eyes only". As I recall, she played a Russian Gymnast.

Lynn-Holly Johnson also appeared in a movie called "The watcher in the woods". I recall reading, Betty Davis hated her as an actress.

18. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

She was also in Bratz the movie. :lol:

19. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Yes, falling dance lists them in post #3 above. :)

American ice skater with a Russian coach. ;)

20. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Katarina Witt had a small role in a Robert de Niro film. (Didn't see it, but I remember when it came out.)

21. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Ronan. She played a Russia figure skating diva who gets publicly assassinated due to her mob boyfriend's dirty dealings.

22. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

I stand corrected. I remembered there was something Russian connected, and I recall her wearing a gymnast type leotard in one scene.

23. pollyanna

You're right, she was wearing a leotard when she was training by bouncing around on a trampoline, complaining that there was no ice handy. :lol:

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

No one remembered Carol Heiss in "Snow White and The Three Stooges" ? :lol:

25. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I was a huge Las Vegas fan until the writers ruined it, but I was still watching at the point that Sasha made her appearance. It was in one of the episodes towards the end of season 3, so it would have been Spring 2006 in the US.

Christine Hough and Doug Ladret were also in The Cutting Edge, playing Smilkov and Brushkin.

26. Vash01

How did I forget that? I thought their names were Smirnova & Bushkin, but imdb lists them as Smilkov (should be Smilkova for a Russian lady) and Brushkin.

I forgot to mention- Jo Jo Starbuck appeared in the same movie as an interviewer.

Also Sharon Carz (sp?) doubled for Moira Kelly in that movie in some skating scenes.

27. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I copy/pasted the names from IMDB, but who knows if they actually have it right. It's sort of wikipedia-esqe on accuracy at time. :lol:

They have a ton of stunt people listed, but other than Hough/Ladret, I didn't recognize any of the names. Someone else might though.

ETA: Didn't Oksana Baiul have a bit part as a commentator in one of the awful, atrocious sequels that aired on ABC Family? I think she was supposed to be, but I'm not entirely sure since I didn't even make it halfway through before I turned it off.

28. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I LOVE Blades of Glory. I laugh my ass off every time I watch it.

29. pollyanna

I remember Sharon Carz. She was a pairs skater with Doug Williams. They medaled at US Nationals one year, I think around 1990, and went to Worlds.

30. Vash01

I remember them. I think they had one gorgeous throw- either 2A or 3S (I can't remember).

I may still have them on a tape.