Skaters' style (same coaches/choreograhers)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by DarrellH, Jun 25, 2013.

1. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I've just recently started thinking about how some coaches leave their mark on skaters and how others just improve what is already there.

(Not attacking anyone!!!!)
    Carol Heiss Jenkins girls always had similar styles/packaging. Most seemed reminders of Carol's own style.
    The Scotvolds packaging of Paul and Nancy, whom they coached at the same time, seemed different.

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The Scotvolds were turning Jenny Kirk into a mini-Kerrigan.

Josee Chouinard tried to turn Yoshia Onda into a mini version of herself. It was disastrous.

The one season that Toller Cranston was coaching Bowman, he had Bowman do some Toller-esque move in his LP. Toller did the same thing with Collin Van der Veen. I thought it was the wrong thing to do to have his students more or less imitate his style.

Did Tonia K. and Lisa Ervin skate like Heiss? Maybe Ervin did; Her upper body was more stiff-like than Tonia K. Perhaps that reflected the style that Carol was used to in the 60s.

3. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Tonia and Lisa were even styled like Carol.

4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir's use of the arms and hands was very similar to the grace and elegance of his coach Priscillia Hill.

5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

He wasn't really coached by Petrenko, I know, but he was coached by Zmievskaya and I can see some similarities between him, Petrenko and Baiul in the way they carry themselves on the ice.

6. stevlin

stevlin Member

I love Jeff Buttle's style. Who is he coaching? And in his own style? Jeff is so graceful.

7. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

I think it is a good thing that Javier Fernandez seems to have taken on Brian Orser's style.

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I was not a fan at all when Orser and Wilson had Javier skating like an Orser's clone. There was less of that last season, I thought, so that was a good step forward.

9. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Viktoria Volchkova has definitely left her mark on Polina Korobeynikova. Polina jumps just like her imo

10. shady82

shady82 New Member

:lol: I kind of found the similar styling amusing. Dick Button used to comment that Kwiatkowski's "preparedness" was the result of "Carol's meticulous care."

I also found Amber Corwin and Charlene Wong to give off a similar "air".