Skaters ripping off another's style

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by essence_of_soy, Jan 20, 2011.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Apparently there is a rift between Johnny Weir and Rudy Galindo, where Galindo is accusing Weir of stealing his style.

Whether this is true or not, are there any instances of a skater lifting another's style for their own use.

The most notorious example I can think of off the top of my head is Amber Corwin using Take Five for her short program in 1999 and featuring a lot of the choreography Lu Chen used for her own interpretation back in 1997.

2. matti

matti Active Member

Yes. Rahkamo&Kokko's 1990 controversial Piazzolla tango definitely influenced Usova&Zhulin's FD that year. Remember, Rahkamo&Kokko unveiled the dance to great audience acclaim in Paris autumn '89 (excepting the conservative ISU ice dance committee).

The same was true for their 'La Strada'.

It also seemed that other couples didn't have the right kind of touch for their quickstep ODs in 1995. Rahkamo&Kokko showed the right style and technique. By the worlds many had done tuning and alterations.

Torvill and Dean were very paranoiac about Soviet ice dance spies in the early 1980s.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Patrick Chan ripping off Lambiel's Four Seasons was the first thing that came to mind. Although that was more Lori than Patrick.

4. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I'd say there are similarities but to claim that Weir "stole" Galindo's style is a stretch.

5. floskate

floskate Vacant

I don't know much of the Galindo/Weir wars but for most other skaters I don't think it's a case of lifting or stealing another skaters style but more of admiring another skater and subliminally imitating them to an exaggerated extent. Susanna Poikyo comes to mind - she wasn't known as Eurokwan for nothing. :lol: Infact the picture on the front page of FSU which is often thought to be Kwan is actually Poikyo!

6. matti

matti Active Member

:lol: And Kristiina Wegelius was Eurohamill. I guess it had to do with Fassi being the coach of both of them. As has been said here before Julie Lynn Holmes was Peggy Fleming II.

7. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

A lot of people call Artur Gachinskii "Mini-Plush" but I can't really agree. Sure, he's a jumping bean coached by Mishin, but he doesn't have Plushenko's charisma.

8. floskate

floskate Vacant

Oh gosh Tinti, I totally forgot about her :lol: Yep a total Hamill clone but I agree that might be more to do with Fassi than anything else. He seemed to have a habit of this because Joanne Conway's skating started to look like Jill Trenary's after she moved to the Fassi's in 1986. Julie Lynn Holmes certainly was packaged to look like Peggy but when I watch her skating I don't see too much similarity in skating style.

9. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Regarding Conway and Wegelius, the look was even down to their similar hairstyles. I remember watching Skate Canada '78 a while ago (before knowing the connection) thinking Kristina must have shared hairdressers with Dorothy.

10. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

I thought Rudy's real issue with Johnny was not the style thing but that fact that Johnny did not officially come out while he was still competing, something Rudy did and is apparently very proud to have done.

I thought I read that somewhere recently.

11. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

He may not have Plushy's charisma, but the way he moves is very similar, such as as the arm movements.

12. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Can't believe no one mentioned Yagudin and Joubert.

In any case, more often than not, I think any perceived, or real similarity comes from having the same coach or choreographer than one skater emulating another.

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I agree. Skaters try to copy what famous skaters have done all the time. Beillman anyone?

I get more concerned about coaches rehashing moves. You can tell which skaters learn from which coach because the same move will be in each skaters programs.

And the same goes for music. A coach using the same music on successive students. Bugs me because they obviously don't pick music to suit the skater's individuality or personality.

14. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  15. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

They even have very similar programs this year:eek:

16. pinky166

Yeah and if you check out the link I posted above, it's young Alissa and they are even more similar because they both have the coltish look to them.

17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I can't see Rudy as having any issue with Johnny not publicly coming out while still competing. Rudy would've understood Johnny's position and he himself didn't come out until much later in his eligible career.

I think it was Mark Lund that had an issue with Weir :lol:.

18. jlai

jlai Title-less

How about Chinese Weir with his Otonal music? :D

19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Really? Off to look at the front page of FSU! :lol:

20. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Active Member

There have been so many years since Galindo, why should he care since the average person doesn't a: remember him or b: remember what he wore skating.

21. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Are you saying the skaters doing the Y-spin is not Kwan :mad: ... you fooled me, I admit it...

22. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I remember a Oksana/Pasha Grishuk piece (during the '98 Olympics I think) where it was strongly implied she was copying Oksana Baiul, right down to Baiul's "The Feeling Begins" music from her exhibition. I think Pasha/Oksana called Baiul 'a criminal' in the piece which cracked me up. On the other hand, don't know if Oksana Baiul has ever been accused of adulterous affairs with married men ala Pasha...

23. pinky166

You mean Japanese Weir and his Swan Lake? Yuzuru Hanyu? Yeah they are pretty similar, but Hanyu has the potential to be way better than Johnny ever was.

24. pumba

pumba New Member

Many thought Vasiliev tried to make TT/MM out of MM/MT, esp. their first year together.
    Some find a lot of similarity between Crone/Poirier and Duchesnay team this season:).

25. annie_mg

annie_mg Active Member

Didn't people think that Joubert had stolen Yagudin's style at some point?

26. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Sarah Hughes' re-worked ending to her Oly LP was totally a rip-off of Kwan's Sher that year. She stole it after seeing it work for MK at '02 Nats.

-Bridget

27. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

To me, it was more like Yags gave that style to him since he coached him for a little while there.

-Bridget

28. Libertango

Libertango New Member

Michal Brezina/Jeffrey Buttle
    Alexandra Paul/Tessa Virtue

29. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I think I remember that there was some N. Korean skater who attempted copying Yagudin's Man in the Iron Mask move for move.

30. senorita

senorita New Member

No there was a chinese skater with the otonal music in Gp, i dont remember his name.
    Hanyu doesnt remind me of Weir except for costume design maybe which was Weir's.

With and Yagudin Joub I used to find the Morozov steps similar, but nothing else, although last year's sp from costume to choreo was reminding a lot MITIM. Especially the sphere thing and the beginning.