Skaters performing in North Korea

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Oh goodie, it's time for our annual skaters-who-dare-show-support-for-North Korea thread! :D

Thanks for posting the link, Sugar! Yup, that's Elvis. Anyone recognize the 3(?) non-Asian couples and singles lady? (That little North Korean girl who played the violin while swizzling is cute. :)) I wonder if that is a North Korean synchro team and, if so, do they compete internationally?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  3. mis751

mis751 New Member

Lady - I think it's Elena Glebova.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Lol! I was all "time for the debate about skaters skating in north Korea!" Is it supporting wherever it is, is it legitimizing dictators, is it skater greed, so many things.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There are so few opportunities for skaters to earn money nowadays and this sport is so damn expensive to train that I really can't blame them.

And come on, they get a chance to see North Korea before the regime collapses! Who wouldn't want to do that? It's number 1 thing on my dream list. And yes, I will be supporting the regime doing that but... :p

6. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Interesting. Didn't Elvis Stojko say that athletes should boycott the Olympics when they were in China?

7. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Why are skating appearances in North Korea such a thing these days? Does the PRK have envy about Yu Na or the 2018 Olympics? I wonder if water should be frozen for Elvis when the the people may not have enough.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  8. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

Why don't the skaters never learn? :wall:

9. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Yes.

Perhaps he needed some money to get more tattoos. :p

10. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Pushkash and Guerreiro as well..

11. care bear

care bear Active Member

Money makes the world go round.

12. shah

shah Shhh...

I only recognised Stojko, Glebova, Pushkash/Guerreiro. was the first ice dance couple the Hermanns?
    well, their choice...

13. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Where was North Korea back when Tonya needed a venue willing to book her?

equatorial and (deleted member) like this.
  14. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

North Korea has had stronger figure skating programs for decades compared to South Korea sans Yu-Na Kim. It’s nothing new named skaters participating in their events. And I believe there are many developed countries, including the U.S., where building war machine takes higher priority to, say, curing urban poverty, at least on the table of their budget appropriation committees.

I too would accept the opportunity, more readily with some money offered!

When the U.S. table tennis team visited China back in the 70’s, it was not to support the repressive host regime. Neither was the intention of the NY Philharmonic when it visited North Korea in 2008. One can say these events were different because they were “well thought-out and pre-negotiated by the respective governments.” But, I would say the participation of the Western and East European skaters in North Korean events is no less encouraging, since it was obviously done with the basic pre-agreed travel exchange programs and commercial (appearance fees) arrangements. It tells that if the governments (U.S., Chinese, South and North Korean) can negotiate their priorities and grant North Korea security in terms of a peace treaty, it could open up whole new opportunities for North Korean people to exchange with the world and work on their paths out of misery with the help of the developed countries.

Yes, he can eat his words now. 2008 Beijing Games were a coming-out event for the Chinese, showing up their position as a developing (now already developed) superpower to be recognized in the world’s political/cultural scene since a brief (in consideration of their long history and culture) period in obscurity after Chairman Mao’s Cultural Revolution. Western countries and their Olympic committees did a right thing not boycotting the event and instead being a witness and participant since, IMO, it can be beneficial, at least, in raising the self-awareness and sense of responsibility among the hosting body and its people with respect to their role/reputation in world politics and common causes.

In 1980 there was a U.S.-led boycott of the Moscow Games in protest of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. In retaliation, Soviet-bloc countries boycotted 1984 L.A. Games. But, when the U.S. invaded Iraq in 2003, there was no boycott of athletic events related to that event in the following years, even with the better facilitated exchange of ideas, facts, etc., with the help of internet. It could have been just the U.S. being the only superpower in the era, but I think the world has changed. Some people, like Stojko, could say the west should boycott such and such events, but IMO majority of people are now better educated, and practical, to know that such action is neither supported by the examples nor beneficial to the athletes/performers or to the people of the host countries.

15. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

that whole video just looked scary.. I hope those performers got paid a lot!

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  16. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

You can't even compare this kind of show to competitions. This show's only purpose is to entertain the government and the high elite = entertain people supporting the dictatorship.

17. Capella

Capella Guest

Sport is one of the best ways for countries to come together. If these skaters can show a North Korean audience that not all Westerners are pure :EVILLE: demonic monsters, isn't that a good thing? Baby steps.

It wasn't that long ago that the thought of Americans going to China or USSR/Russia was incomprehensible. Sport help changed opinions and helped break down walls (pun intended).

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Here's another article about Stojko's views on an Olympic boycott back in 2008: It's Time to Demand Rights in China, Says Olympian Stojko

I suppose he could say he wasn't representing anyone else, just lining his own pockets. :bribe:

19. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

How is it really different? They had been holding annual international figure skating competition too until recently, used to be called Baekdusan Trophy.

They are sending political messages. All North Korean events open to its public (via their TV coverage, which I believe this event was also subject to) or to the world (in the case of this thread, by Youtube footage) bear political meanings of some sort. The event is not primarily for the “entertainment” for their chosen few.

20. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I think most North Koreans know it's not WESTERNERS (or the Russians, or the Chinese, who I get the feeling are sometimes mildly embarrassed by sort of being their allies) who are monsters...they'd probably appreciate food more than figure skating, not that it would get to them. Most people in totalitarian dictatorships aren't stupid enough to believe their government blaming all its problems on everyone else in the world. They just also aren't stupid enough to admit that and bring their government down on their heads.

21. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

Really? Did they have many foreign competitors there?

22. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

^ Yes. It was an international event. Participants were mostly from eastern Europe countries.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Article about the 2001 Paektusan Prize competition in North Korea: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/1191360.stm
    2001 Paektusan Prize competition results (Verner was 14 at the time & placed 4th): http://www.eiskunstlauf-ecke.de/archiv/2000-01/paektusanprize01.shtml

Controversy over Tomas Verner's 2011 participation: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/pjkwong/2011/03/verner-puzzled-by-north-korea-controversy.html

24. vexlak

vexlak Member

At the end of the day the politics and art (sporting art) should not be mixed.
    At least they performed at front of the best dressed audience.
    :hat1:

It's also interesting that youtube shows advertising before the video. Who is paying and who is collecting?

25. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

It's not at all the same thing as Sonja Henie's tolerance for Nazism, because the PRK is only an aggressor to its own people. It seems true that openness and exchanges are preferable. But if North Korea's leaders ever nuke Japan, a lot of these skaters will wonder what the heck they were doing dancing for such a man.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Were North Korea to nuke Japan, I think these skaters would have bigger worries, like nuclear fallout, annkihilation, etc.

27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I doubt North Korea will be capable of annihilating even itself anytime soon, but it could cause devastation in its backyard. My thought is that skating for powerful elites who you know are evil can harm your reputation.

28. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

I'm with you. I have a quarter that says MK and Yu-Na wont be preforming there any time soon.

29. equatorial

equatorial New Member

They sell tours to North Korea here where I live :shuffle:

cholla and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I know companies doing that. It's just really expensive.