'Skaters of the Year'' title-icenetwork.com

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by dardar1126, Apr 18, 2013.

1. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

2. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

:rolleyes:

3. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Um, apples and oranges?

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Seriously??? V/T were not great in the early part of the season, but won anyway for crappy skates. Should be Meryl and Charlie by much more than a slim margin!

Ditto :rolleyes: times 1,000!

And I agree re apples and oranges. Plus the criteria and numbers IN is relying on to back up their pronouncement are fairly meaningless. V/T have much more to prove in terms of developing great programs and defining their identity on the ice than do Meryl and Charlie. In fact, V/T have thus far not even accomplished as much as Savchenko/ Szolkowy re championships and innovative programs.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  5. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

meh I don't see the problem. V & T are awesome.

6. aftershocks

Meh, awesome for the short time they have been partnered in terms of the usual Russian tradition of balletic line and aesthetics. They are definitely a strong pair, and their comeback FS at last year's Worlds was spectacular. But all of a sudden now, they are supposed to be unbeatable because Sochi Olympics are coming and they are "skating while Russian pair." Very predictable, and so is their skating too. I'm waiting for them to truly live up to the knee-jerk accolades.

7. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I know this isn't the criteria - and it's only 1 of the year's competitions but I would say from watching them at Worlds - of the 4 disciplines they were definitely the clearest champion and the skaters without a rival close in ability. I know many think S and S are close - but at Worlds they were not on the same planet IMO.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  8. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Agree.

9. aftershocks

For this past season neither V/T nor S/S had really great programs, but the difference is that V/T were stronger physically and improved over the course of the season in terms of performance. V/T just were not good at the start of the season, which didn't seem to make any difference at all to the judges. At an early season comp on the GP circuit, Pang and Tong should have won overall and both V/T and P/T knew it.

I thought V/T were clearly stronger performance-wise at Euros over S/S, which foreshadowed Worlds (altho' S/S skated slightly better at Worlds than they did at Euros). I believe S/S have had physical problems and they also had costume and music/ concept problems with their programs this season, although I think S/S sp was better than their fp. S/S do take risks though and clearly have been and are a serious rival to V/T. S/S are four-time World champions after all. But a bad year for S/S and suddenly V/T are supposed to be so much better than everyone. :blah:

IMO, V/T need to live up to their Russian lineage of "greatness," rather than everyone bowing and scraping and oohing and ahhing. Meanwhile, S/S have been innovators who have contributed so much (along with their coach, Steuer) to pairs skating. V/T are a great match, but they still need to find themselves on the ice beyond the usual bravura Russian aesthetics.

It seems to me that Tatiana Volosozhar fancies herself in Aliona's image particularly evident in the way Tatiana has picked up some of Aliona's mannerisms (they are both from Ukraine and Tatiana trained with Aliona for a time under Steuer before pairing up with Max and becoming Russian).