Skater you remember that no one else does.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by coppertop1, Aug 16, 2014.

1. nikjil

nikjil Active Member

Susan Ng, beautiful graceful skater, just couldn't land the jumps when it mattered.
    I always loved Nathalie Krieg. Matthew Lind had great charisma and a really nice guy off-ice.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I remember Aaron Parchem.

jennysk8oboe likes this.
  3. daverobert

daverobert New Member

I remember Karen Kwan the skater (not just the big sister to the Kween, and the wife of legendary coach and Olympic medalist pairs skater Peter Oppergard). She was a beautiful skater, and had her own style that wasn't like anyones, including her sister. She was a weak jumper so never made the real top ranks, but had a few respectable finishes at Nationals.

4. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Just remembered Kimena Brog-Meier from Switzerland.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Her style was very reminiscent of Carolina Koster's (or Koster's is reminiscent of Karen Kwan's). I find it interesting that her skating stood out with all of her arm movements, and now it seems most skaters post-COP have moved away from the classic restrained style of upper body carriage and adopted one that looks more like Karen Kwan's.

skatesindreams likes this.
  6. Laney

Laney Member

Oh, I really liked Grethe Grünberg - and Kristian Rand, too! Lovely couple! I can´t believe I nearly forgot her! I also love her name! Grethe Grünberg - awwww :D It´s really such a shame she had to stop skating so early!

7. darya_russian

darya_russian Active Member

Asa Persson (Sweden) - LOL, I thought I'm the only one rememberin her. Sort of liked her skating :)

Roxana Luca (Romania) - I remember her too! And also remember watching her SP at 2005 Worlds, after she skated landing everything, her coach was jumping all over the place almost as high as the boards and everyone in the audience was laughing. When the replays ended and cameras showed him sitting in the K&C the crowd exploded in a cheer and he looked half embarassed, half surprised.

Dan Fang (China) was my favorite Chinese skater for some time, shame the jumps were not there.

8. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I enjoyed his skating with Marcy Hinzmann, although I know he had at least one other partner.. Stephanie Kalesavich, I think the name was.. although I don't remember what they looked like together.

9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I remember Kalesavich, and I remember the name of Marcy Hinzman, but I don't remember what he looked like with either one.

10. MrSatterwhite

MrSatterwhite Barely-Known Member

I had a soft spot for Marie Pierre back in the day. With a depleted field in 1994, she had the opportunity to place well at Worlds that year. After a disappointing 12th place in the SP, she came to skate the best LP I've seen from her. She landed 3flip 2toe, 2 axel, 3loop, 3lutz and 3 toe and was giving an inspired performance. Then in her last triple (a salchow) she took a bad fall. Nevertheless, she ended up 7th and that was her best finish at Worlds ever.

Here's the LP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY65cKJhLao

GoForGold likes this.
  11. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Loved the mention of Aaron Parchem and Stephanie Kalesavich. :smokin: I was a huge fan of theirs and so was Mr. Button btw; he too waxed poetic over them, in particular Stephanie's "swan" lift,. ahhh...:oksana1:

They honestly were like Barbie & Ken, the dolls. She looked like Charlize Theron and he a male model, they were perfect together. But once again it was the jumps that were (her) downfall. *tears* In particular that darn sbs 3salchow. They came in 3rd and missed out on making the Olympic Team in 2002, but Aaron hung in there and made the Team in 2006 with Marcy Hinzmann. :cheer2:

Financial problems is what forced Stephanie to quit (she was 1 of 5 sisters). Soooo heartbreaking....

Vash01 likes this.
  12. VIETgrlTerifa

I forgot all about Aaron Parchem. Talk about a good looking man.

13. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

Min Zhang, Chinese Mens' skater. I think he landed the first clean (no hand down, turnout, or twofoot) quadruple jump at the Olympics (2002)...yes I know others skating after him landed clean quads in that competition. Also Chengjiang Li, another Chinese mens' skater who was one of the early adopters of quad jumps and the 4-3. Quite impressive to see some samples in person! Li had an exceptionally long senior career and those last few years, really tried to develop some degree of artistry since he was always smacked around by the judges as lacking. I always felt bad that their careers were at a time when there wasn't much attention paid to Chinese skating by the world skating community except for their pairs. Entering the skating scene ten years later, they might have ended up more well-known and more marketable.

GoForGold and AznSkateFan like this.
  14. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

I remember both of them. Min was the first skater to land the quad in the short ever, at 1999 4CC, it was the first time quads were allowed.

15. VIETgrlTerifa

I remember how wonderful of a skater Chengjiang Li became in his last season. I truly enjoyed what he put out there.

AznSkateFan likes this.
  16. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Alban Preaubert -- French version of Ryan Bradley (not the best, but definitely very entertaining)

AnnieBgood, paskatefan and nyrak like this.
  17. Nours

Nours Active Member

Marika Humphreys & Philip Askew. They were wonderful and have a crushing story.

Their NOC wanted a 12 place finish at 97 Worlds. Even though they had a wonderful OD, one pretty good CD (didn't see the other) and a FD they had to change after Euros even though it was a masterpiece to Danse Macabre (thanks judges for putting them so low at 97 Euros... Behind weak teams and choreos).
    They finished 16th in Lausannes. They qualified a spot at the Games at the 1997-98 competition but no team were in Nagano for their country. They were so good it's painful.

1996 Euros FD (they just barely teamed up at that point)
    http://youtu.be/h-MHgP2QwCY

1996-1997 summer preparation, choreographing programs and first competitions :
    http://youtu.be/aOqPgbkrzIc

1997 Euros FD
    http://youtu.be/7WQP-1pcl7U

Their OD and FD from 1997 Worlds are available at fsvids. If somebody have their OD from 1997 Euros or any CD (them or not) please contact me !

Jeanine likes this.
  18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Do you mean in the short? Coz many skaters landed quads in Nagano.

19. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I had a huge crush on Sebastien as well. He was adorable! I always felt so bad for him because people used to tell him he only won his one national title because Elvis wasn't there. What a horrible way for people to think of your win!

I never liked Karen. I have relatives in Sudbury, and when Canadians in 1990 were there she completely badmouthed the city.

I also remember Anthony Liu, the awesome Aussie mens skater who came 7th at 2000 worlds and 10th in SLC.

20. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

While it was true that Britten one due to Stojko's absence (Britten was never close to Stojko, not able to do the 3A), telling him that constantly is just uncalled for. I felt for him too.

Stephanie Morrissette of Canada, mostly because she skated to One Man's Dream from Yanni.

21. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Cameron Medhurst of Australia and Heikko Fischer of Germany. I remember both from the 1988 Calgary Olympics. Heikko had great figures and an entertaining cowboy themed sp!

22. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Stephen and Danielle Carr from Australia! 19 times national pairs champions. I think that must be a Guiness World Record.

orientalplane and Finnice like this.
  23. skatecat

skatecat Lurker Extraordinaire

One of Dick Button's finest commentating moments at the 1988 Olympics!

bardtoob likes this.
  24. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I think the only memory I have of Yulia Vorobieva is her 1999 Euros programs (IIRC, did she really competed at 1999 Euros ?)
    And she barely rotated even a 2 Axel. Every jump was under-rotated, she was out of shape !

25. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Robert Wagenhoffer for men (in Scott Hamilton era)

Junko Yaginuma for ladies (lanky and gentle perennial runner-up to Midori Ito at Japan nationals)

26. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

27. blue_idealist

I loved him!!

paskatefan likes this.
  28. blue_idealist

I watched the Euros FD and it was wonderful. I can't believe I hadn't seen those two. If it weren't for reputation judging, maybe they would have finished higher in that comp.

29. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

"I don't know what to say!" WOW! I think that's the first time he's been stumped for words

bardtoob likes this.
  30. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member