Skater you remember that no one else does.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by coppertop1, Aug 16, 2014.

1. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I wanted to write her , but i forget her first name. Thank you. She was really beautiful skater.

2. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Oh I remember. :respec:He was very elegant!

Norbert Schramm

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  3. sadya

sadya Active Member

Thank you for the great reminders.

I liked Diana Poth too and the one lp of Kaya Hanevold I saw, if I remember well, in 1999 Euros. She skated a lovely program to the same music Chen had used in '98. Never heard of Hanevold again after that. What about Lenka Kulovana? She had lovely elegant programs.

Somewhat overshadowed by Candeloro, French skater Eric Millot had a nice skating style.

Romanova/Yaroshenko, I enjoyed their FD to 'Zorba the Greek'. Moiseeva and Minenkov had many memorable programs.

Not completely forgotten, but not mentioned often enough either, Shishkova and Naumov skated one of my favourite pairs sp ever to 'Ave Maria'.

4. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Moi and Min are unforgettable and they had many very good results...They were innovators they had a very unique style.

5. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I thought Gosselin was okay, but she had a very top heavy build for a skater.

6. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Alexei Vasilevski. The best gliding I've ever seen. Even better than Abt.

2sk8 likes this.
  7. sadya

sadya Active Member

Yes, they did. I'm surprised they aren't mentioned that often while other skaters from that era are referred to more often.

8. zigzig

zigzig Member

Jessica Mills! I only remember her for that program but she had early success as a junior.

Maximillian likes this.
  9. essence_of_soy

I loved Hanevold's short program from '99 Europeans. She used her long body line with such elegance.

I loved Alice Sue Claeys from Belgium as well. Her long program at Worlds in Oakland should have put her second behind Yamaguchi.

10. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Good question I don't know. I was very young but I clearly remember of them.

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Miriam Wehrli (hope I spelled that correctly) from Switzerland. She was at Skate Canada in Victoria in 1984, which I think was also Midori Ito's first international competition. She did two marvelous very abstract programs that were brilliantly choreographed, and she had excellent technique and interpretation. Of course, this being the 1980s, she got completely jobbed on the marks, and the audience booed loudly. She may have gone to Worlds that same year, but I don't think she competed much after that.

12. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

IDORA HEGEL!!!! :D

Maximillian, nikjil, TAHbKA and 3 others like this.
  13. once_upon

once_upon charming i'm sure

Andrea Gardiner - I thought she skated similar to Angela Nikodinov.

nikjil likes this.
  14. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I don't think they could have skated any differently. Andrea had horrible jump technique and labored through her programs, but Nikodinov had very sound technique and moved like (to quote Dick Button) "liquid gold." I liked Gardiner a lot though. I don't think I ever saw a skater who worked harder than she did.

15. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Michael Shmerkin of Israel, I remember him from 1995 Skate Canada, he had to compete the same day that Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated.

16. sadya

sadya Active Member

Ah, Shmerkin, I always enjoyed his step sequences. Thank you for the delightful reminder.

paskatefan likes this.
  17. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Lol.

I recently posted about Hanae Yokoya in my Kitaro thread and Kumiko Koiwai in my worst waxels thread (she had the worst wipeout I've ever seen). I guess I like obscure skaters.

I liked Brittany McConn and regularly mention her in threads. She had some scary technique but was quite athletic. Her Salchow was textbook. She and Andrea Gardiner made the ABC telecasts a few times in the late '90s. Stacy Pengsen, too.

Tamara Dorofejev definitely skated a few seasons as a senior but I don't think she ever had as much success as in juniors and Julia Sebestyen was the clear No 1 in Hungary.

I believe Fleur Maxwll is still competing.

Anyone remember Yamato Tamura? He was very slender but could land quads. Competed around the same time as Takeshi Honda.

How about Susanna Poykio's rival Elina Kettunen, or Elena Liashenko's rival turned sister Galina Maniachenko?

Vakhtang Murvanidze anyone? Sergei Davydov (aka mini Alexander Abt)?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    nikjil likes this.
  18. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

She was quite the FSU favorite a few years back.

How about Ann Sophie Calvez, who would throw tantrums on the ice!

nikjil likes this.
  19. essence_of_soy

Marie Pierre Leray from France.
    Stephanie Main, Karen Wood, Debbie Cottrill and Emma Warmington from Great Britain.
    Alisa Drei from Finland.
    Yulia Vorobieva from Azerbaijan. Crazy upright blur spin.
    Alma Lepina from Latvia. Huge triple toe loops.
    Cynthia Coull from Canada. Also skated pairs with Mark Rowsom.
    Sanda Dubravcic from Yugoslavia. Could tack triple toe loops onto the end of anything.

Sergei Rylov from Azerbaijan.
    Neil Wilson from Great Britain. Awesome spinner.
    Oula Jaaskelainen from Finland. Tall, tall, tall.
    Konstantin Kostin from Latvia. Impressive quad toe loop
    Michael Tyllesen from Denmark.
    Vincent Restencourt and Frederick Daumbier from France.

Maximillian and sadya like this.
  20. essence_of_soy

Level 4 eye shadow, IIRC.

21. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Oh there are a lot...going through a few results from past Worlds and Europeans ;)

Men:

Vincent Restencourt (France)
    Zhengxin Guo (China)
    Clemens Jonas (Austria)
    Patrick Meier (Switzerland)
    Sergei Rylov (Azerbaijan)
    Margus Hernits (Estonia)
    Stanislav Timchenko (Russia)
    Ivan Dinev (Bulgaria)
    Yon Garcia (Spain)
    Aramais Grigorian (Armenia)
    Gabriel Monnier (France)
    Boris Martinec (Croatia)
    Tigran Vardanyan (Hungary)...for his voidy and funny programs, His skating sucked but he was extremely entertaining xD
    Alexander Uspenski (Russia)...another talented Russian who never made the successful transition from Juniors to Seniors. Very handsome, too.
    Igor Matsipura (Slovakia)

Ladies;

Zuzana Babiakova (Paurova) (Slovakia I think)
    Zoya Douchine (Germany)
    Asa Persson (Sweden)
    Roxana Luca (Romania)
    Marta Andrade (Spain)
    Mojca Kopac (Slovenia)...I will never forget her epic bombs in that one FS where she doubled all the intended triples and singled all the intended doubles :lol:
    Karen Venhuizen (Netherlands)
    Dan Fang (China)
    Lucie Krausova (Czech Republic)
    Ludmila Nelidina (Russia)
    Sara Falotico (Belgium)
    Mérovée Ephrem (Monaco)
    Kristin Wieczorek (Germany)
    Vanessa Giunchi (Italy)...particularly for her horrible costumes xD
    Jennie Lee (Chinese Taipei)...met her at Junior Worlds 2007. Lovely girl. Never heard anything from her afterwards, though.
    Lina Johansson (Sweden)...was successful as a Junior but then disappeared.
    Kristina Mikhailova (Belarus)...I remember the German commentator stated she should switch to Ice Dance.

Pairs:

Viktoria Shklover/Valdis Mintals (Estonia)
    Marina Aganina/Artem Knyazev (Uzbekistan)
    Yuko Kawaguchi/Alexander Markuntsov (Japan)...well actually we all know her pretty well but her former partner is sort of forgotten
    Maria Guerassimenko/Vladimir Futas (Slovakia)
    Diana Rennik/Aleksei Saks (Estonia)
    Olga Prokuronova/Karel Stefl (Czech Republic)...for their horrible accident during a lift at Euros 2006
    Rumiana Spassova/Stanimir Todorov (Bulgaria)...really OES :lol:

Ice Dance:

Nozomi Watanabe/Akiyuki Kido (Japan)
    Svetlana Kulikova/Vitali Novikov (Russia)

That's it for now I guess :-D

22. jakemantheman

jakemantheman New Member

Olga Markova. What an innovative skater, and she had a chance at the 95 world title and then everyone would k now her.

Diane Mars and TAHbKA like this.
  23. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Stanislav Timchenko with his voidy programs to Night on Bald Mountain and Jesus Christ Superstar (complete with sparkly blood on shirt).

24. anatric

anatric New Member

Vikki de Vries. She was a really talented skater but couldn't quite breakthrough. She started the early 82-83 season looking dominant then didn't even make the world team for the U.S. She easily won Skate America in 81 over Zayak and Kristofics Binders but at worlds wasn't even a contender for some reason. She had to miss the 84 Nationals and a chance at the Olympics with an injury.

25. anatric

anatric New Member

Karen Preston. An unknown outside of Canada but very consistent and solid all around skater, but never had the clout or interest to really contend internationally. Probably would have won the world bronze in 94 over Szewcenko had Humphries not beaten her at Canadians.

26. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Kulikova/Novikov! The "truckdriver." I didn't care, I thought he was really sexy.

Yukina Ota, possibly my favorite Japanese skater ever except for Mao. Beautiful, fluid skater.

nikjil, Kasey and Vash01 like this.
  27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Charlene Von Saher (GBR). In the early 1990s I was on a business trip to Connecticut and those days I used to carry my skates along to skate at a local rink (I even forgot if it was at Stamford or another town). I took a few lessons with an instructor there, and she pointed at one of the skaters and said - "That girl was 12th in the world last year". It was Charlene Von Saher (lived in the USA but skated for GBR). Our networks never showed her eligible performances, but they did show her skate during one of the pro competitions. She was pretty good. She could do 3Lz2t combinations, but not consistently. IIRC she was a good artistic skater, but not very consistent technically. I have no idea how long she competed or skated as a pro.

28. madm

madm Active Member

Sorry you're right. Shelby should have gone to the 1998 Olympics, having placed 2nd at US Nationals. But USFS chose to send Meno and Sand instead. After this huge disappointment, Shelby retired from pairs competition.

29. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

You're welcome :)

I'm loving the names I'm seeing here. It's interesting how some stick with us, sometimes I don't even know why I remember them, I just do. It's what happens when you have a good long term memory and have been watching something for a long time.

Then there's Annie Bazinet, who finished fourth at 1998 Canadians.

sadya likes this.
  30. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

There was a skater named Zusanna Swed (I am sure my spelling is completely off here) from Poland who competed at worlds (or may be the 92 Olympics?) She was mentioned along with Kriztina Czacko (another tough name to spell), as young skaters to watch in the future. Czacko is pretty well known but I don't recall seeing Zusanna skate again.

sadya likes this.