Skater you remember that no one else does.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by coppertop1, Aug 16, 2014.

1. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Many of us have watched skating for years. Who are the skaters you remember, that not many would?

For me, some would be:
    Hanae Yokoya: A Japanese skater pre-golden era and slightly before Suguri. A strong jumper. Finished 10th in 1995 and 1996 Worlds, then dropped to 23rd
    Julia Lautowa: Young up and comer, from Austria. Had a lot of flare and also a strong resemblance to Irina Slutskaya. Finished 8th at 1997 worlds then fell off the map.
    Marcus Christensen: Canadian Men's skater, often the third team member during the Stojko/Britten era. Never made it very far.
    Colin Thompson: Canadian Junior Men's champ in 1996, from the same cohort as Jayson Denomee and Ben Ferreira, but disappeared after a couple of years.

Who are yours?

Maximillian likes this.
  2. quartz

quartz only in the darkness can you see the stars

Evgeni Pliuta, from Ukraine. 1993 Jr. World Champ. Really disappointed he didn't stick around too long in seniors, or maybe he just didn't place high enough to be shown on TV.

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

In french skating : Nadège Bobillier, Guillaume Paulmier (Charlène Guignard's former partner)...

4. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Alizah Allen. Oh I'm sure other people remember her but I wish more people knew about her.

nlloyd, Maximillian and kwanfan1818 like this.
  5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Michelle Currie, female skater from Canada in the Jennifer Robinson era.

algonquin, Maximillian and Andora like this.
  6. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Netty Kim - 1995 Canadian champion who never really did anything else in her career.
    Ryan Arnold - Meagan Duhamel's first pairs partner. They landed the first ever sbs triple lutzes at the 2005 Canadians. He was also the Canadian junior champion with a different partner.

7. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

US skaters: Aren Nielsen (late 80's and early 90's)--US men's bronze medalist x 2, also won Nebelhorn and Golden Spin one year. Sydne Vogel (early/mid 90's) US junior champ beating out Tara Lipinski though not Tara's marketing machine, also World Jr champion. But couldn't do better than 4th at US Seniors then got derailed by injury. Andrea Gardiner from mid-90's, really lovely skater and US junior champ. Medaled at Nebelhorn in 2000 but then fizzled out in years after that.

kwanette, jennysk8oboe, Coco and 3 others like this.
  8. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  9. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

I remember Currie and Kim. Currie almost won Canadians in 2000, she beat Jennifer Robinson in the SP. Also from the Jennifer Robinson, Nicole Watt, who had juvenile rhueumatoid arthritis, and was the first Canadian Teen wunderkind. Retired due to her arthritis. Kim retired in 1998.
    Shelby Lyons and Jason Wells, made the world team in 1996, I think they retired in 1998.

Maximillian likes this.
  10. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Oh, Pliuta! I liked him a lot, he skated quite well at 1999 Euros, and at worlds the same year I saw him land his quad lutz at the warm up before the free skating, it was so fab! He doubled out or something in the actual skate, and after that season, I don't think he was seen again...

Other skaters I remember:
    Suzanna Szwed from Poland, who had fab one-foot step sequences covering the entire rink.

Sanna Maija Wiksten, oh-so-voidy Finn, I think she placed in the top ten at Euros 2000 with her Basic Instinct-program

Tamara Dorofejev, Hungary. Such a talent, but what happened to her?

Sabrina Wojtala, Poland - had the most beautiful jumps, but couldn't land them to save her life when it counted. She didn't just bomb, she bombed BIG TIME! When she on seldom occasions was clean, her score was always huge.

Juraj Sviatko, Slovak republic - he skated to "Flight of the bumblebee" wearing a yellow and black striped outfit. Serious love!

Robert Gregorzyk (spelling?!) Poland - Such passion! He skated his tango sp at worlds 1999 like there was no tomorrow!

I'm sure there is more.... Great thread!

orientalplane likes this.
  11. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

I think it's fun and interesting to discuss the skaters we remember that aren't widely known. Just because they don't make it doesn't mean they aren't good
    I saw Dorofejev on YT, her performance at the 2000 Junior Worlds where she was 4th. I remember Szwed from 1997 Skate Canada. I would have put her ahead of Bonaly.
    Ludmila Nelidina, landed the 3A in 2002 Skate America, vanished after that.

Maximillian likes this.
  12. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Angelo D'Agostino, a charismatic performer in men's singles.
    Nathalie Krieg, who seems not as much-remembered as Denise Biellmann and Lucinda Ruh.
    Rachel Meyer and Peter Breen, US Ice Dance Olympians from Boston area. (Her dad as a surgeon and a doctor to a young cousin of mine with major cardiac defects who sadly, died at age 14.)
    Brandon Forsyth and Emilie Nussear/Jessica Joseph. More Boston-based skaters.
    Matthew Lind, 2001 US novice champion.

13. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Mikkeline Kierkgaard. I found her to be such a beautiful skater!

14. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I always wondered what happened to Shelby Lyons. She competed at both pairs and singles in the U.S. and made one Worlds team with Brian Wells in the mid-nineties at age 15.

I don't think she is forgotten yet, but I mourned the retirement of Angela Maxwell at the junior level.

jennysk8oboe and falling_dance like this.
  15. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Nathalie Krieg's spins were out of this world, only Lucinda Ruh did it better.
    Jennifer Boyce/Michel Brunet, runners-up twice at Canadians to Bourne/Kraatz, when to Worlds in 1995 and finished 16th.
    Kierkgaard was lovely, too bad she could never get the big triples and more consistency.
    Jeff Langdon, runner-up to Elvis Stojko in 1997, third to Stoko and Sandhu at Canadians in 1998, went to Worlds in 1997 and 98 and finished eighth and ninth respectively, and 12th in Nagano. I felt bad for him being overlooked due to the controversy over Sandhu not going to the 1998 Olympics, but he handled it well and was an overall classy and nice guy. One of the few who could do a 3S-3Lo consistently.

16. madm

madm Active Member

Shelby Lyons coaches skaters in Fort Collins, CO along with her husband Gordon Harrison. After the Olympics, Shelby skated professionally with Disney On Ice for several years, where she met Gordon. A good article about her life is at http://content.yudu.com/A1zy2t/SkatingNov2012/resources/11.htm.

paskatefan and aliceanne like this.
  17. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

After which Olympics? She never went to the Olympics. Suddenly I have this image of a 33 year old Shelby Lyons still sporting the same hairdo from 1996.

Maximillian likes this.
  18. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Bourne/Kraatz was the World champion 2003, it's not right to say no one remember then.

algonquin and paskatefan like this.
  19. alchemy void

alchemy void Well-Known Member

Brittney McConn, I thought she had a ton of potential and was the USA's answer to Slutskaya. She definitely wasn't your usual cookie cutter pretty princess baby ballerina. Shame she didn't seem to compete very long.

Suzanne Stadlmuller, again, only lasted a few years, thought she had good OES and void potential.

Nina Petushkova, I could watch her skate all day long. ;)

Maximillian likes this.
  20. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Is Nina wearing Slutskaya's costume?

Kristina Oblasova, 2001 World Junior Champion
    Yunfei Li, one of the quadsters.

21. falling_dance

falling_dance Brava, Joannie.

Yes. She also wore the green Samson et Dalila dress and the 2006 Olympic gala dress in competition.

Petushkova had her moments.

Diane Szmiett - never medaled at Canadians, but skated superbly in the free at 2009 Cup of China.

Simone411 likes this.
  22. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

23. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Tanya Bingert, 4th at the 1994 Canadian Championships
    Angela Derochie, 1998 Canadian Champion
    Shannon Allison, 3rd at the 1988 Canadian Championships

Daniel Bellemare (CAN), 4th Place, 1997 World Junior Championships

Rudi Cerne (GER), 2nd place, 1984 European Championships

Elena Ivanova (RUS), 1996 World Junior Champion
    Elena Pingasheva (RUS), 2nd place, 1996 World Junior Championships
    Nadezhda Kanaeva (RUS), 3rd place, 1996 World Junior Championships

Junko Yaginuma (JPN), 2nd place, 1988 & 1989 World Junior Championships
    Yukiko Kashihara (JPN), 3rd place, 1988 World Junior Championships

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  24. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I remember Allen. Found one of her free skates (97 Nationals) on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zud9TGXO_yU

Note how she clearly skates to the music and its variations. A few musical highlights that she missed are probably related to trying to set up triple jumps, but in the non-jumping sections her interpretation is uncommonly nuanced in ladies.

25. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

znhurston and falling_dance like this.
  26. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

I remember Daniel Bellemare. Is he related to Annie Bellemare?

I remember Derochie, I felt bad when she fell to sixth in 2000. Susan
    In that same era, Susan Humphreys, a lovely skater but was plagued with injuries and also major confidence problems. Sadly, she may also be remembered as failing to qualify a Canadian ladies skater for 1998 Olympics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxHxzACqqqM. Humphreys had a lot of ballet training and it showed in her skating
    I loved Szewczenko, thanks for the link!

27. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

28. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I remember Jennifer and Michel now, plus Michel with his next partner, Chantal Lefebvre. I can't remember their exact results but I think they got something like 18th in Nagano.

29. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I remember this ghastly thing called Agnes Gosselin, but perhaps I shouldn't have reminded you.

30. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I remember Julia Lautowa from 2003 Worlds. I don't remember in what place she finished @ those worlds, but she had a fall @ the end of her free skate during which she laughed & seemed to take it very well. Her reaction was charming, and the audience reacted warmly to her.

Maximillian, Finnice and Simone411 like this.