Skater Mervin Tran mulls turning Japanese

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by MikiAndoFan#1, Nov 14, 2011.

1. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Turning Japanese :rockstar:

Tom Monroe version :scream:

Naturalization

So how does Tran plan to get around the residence requirement? Waiver or legislation? Neither one of them seems like a realistic option.

3. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Well, I think Tran could fall under that category of having a "special relationship to Japan."

He will most certainly NOT be alone in this endeavor. I'm sure JSF will back him up all the way...they want a pair in Sochi, for sure.

4. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

Regardless of what happens regarding the citizenship issue, I hope Takahashi and Tran stay together! I just discovered them, and I'm liking what I see! :)

5. allezfred

allezfred Just say Yes! Staff Member

He doesn't. The example that is given is of someone having a Japanese parent. This suggests strongly that this category pertains only to those of Japanese lineage.

6. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

That's only an example, and last time I checked, you don't work for the Japanese government.

I don't think this just going to go away, especially if T/T are in the GPF (likely). There will be a lot of politicking here.

7. Vagabond

If anything about Mervin Tran constitutes a "special relationship" or "extraordinary service" to Japan, the floodgates to Japanese citizenship are wide open. Don't count on his application getting very far.

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

At least he's making an effort. You never know..God works in mysterious ways. If it's meant to happen, then it will!

9. allezfred

:shuffle:

mella and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Vagabond

God, yes. The Japanese Ministry of Justice, no. :COP:

Braulio and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

You know, everyone loves :bribe: when it comes to :sasha1:

:D

12. yunasashafan

yunasashafan Member

How about having provided "extraordinary service to Japan"? maybe in the eyes of JSF, being a very (the first?) successful pair skater constitutes extraordinary service??
    Anyway, in his place, I would wait until I have received some encouraging feedback about my chances before making such a statement and I think that's what happened here... JMHO

13. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

I wonder if Mervin can take out Japanese citizenship, compete in the Olympics, then later renounce it so that he can get his Canadian citizenship back. (ETA: That's if he can get Japanese citizenship in the first place.)

He was born in Canada, has always lived and trained in Canada, and is dating another Canadian skater. I can't see him giving up Canadian citizenship permanently.

It's tough for dancers and pairs skaters to find good matches; it's often necessary to look beyond a country's borders. It's unfortunate that the Olympics requires citizenship of both partners (rather than just one).

14. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Maybe he has, and that's why he made such a statement. ;)

15. allezfred

Neither God nor money come into the equation when you are dealing with the Japanese Ministry of Justice. It's difficult enough for non-Japanese who live in Japan to get citizenship. I've friends who have been through the process.

Good luck to Mervin in whatever he chooses to do.

16. yunasashafan

yunasashafan Member

my point exactly :) sorry I wasn't clear

17. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Good luck, he'll need it :rolleyes:

18. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

There's no reason to roll eyes. Sheesh, the guy is just trying his best. :blah:

19. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Uh.. what connection does he have to Japan besides skating with a Japanese skater? I hope this is not approved.

20. julieann

The Olympics are in 26 months the next Olympics are 6 years away. Maybe if they moved to Japan, trained in Japan, married a Japanese citizen, learned the language...maybe he would have a shot by 2018, maybe, but from what I hear, I doubt it.

Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Markuntsov broke up because it was impossible for him to get citizenship.

21. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

The fact is we've had Japanese citizens being the ones to give up (Inoue and Kavaguti) but never the reverse AFAIK.

That said, he should go ahead and try if he wants as long as he's realistic about his chances. If you don't make the attempt than it's 100% it won't happen after all. But I wouldn't blame Japan for not wanting to give citizenship to a person with so few ties. They'd probably have to be on a higher level (as in OGM contenders) to have a real shot, and in that case they'd be capable of winning Canadian Nats instead.

ETA - I should probably say *any* shot and that's not going to happen unless a miracle occurs with Narumi's triple jumps. :(

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  22. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

One thing that the article and Wikipedia don't mention: you need to speak (hard) and write (really really freaking hard) fluent Japanese in order to obtain citizenship. There are a lot of forms to fill out and an entire interview process, and they must be conducted in Japanese. No exceptions. He may have picked up a decent amount of Japanese by speaking with Narumi/her family/any translators around her, but there's no way he developed the necessary facility with the written language while skating at such a high level.

23. julieann

There was a good reson they had to skate for other countries if they wanted to go to the Oympics.

24. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I don't think the Olympics are the one and all competition in Figure Skating:dog:
    Of course, Olympics are huge and have much more repercussion than anything else, but I'm sure they can make a good legacy for them without an Olympic medal. I'll enjoy them the same or even more.:) Look at Kurt Browning:cool:

25. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

It's not really about the medals, vast majority go to the olympics knowing they don't have a shot at the medal whatsoever, and only about 10% of the people just to have a chance at it. But it's about participating in the olympics. That's why at US Nationals or Canadian Nationals the season of the olympics, making the top 2 or top 3 just make it a lot more special and that's why you see so much tears at the nationals of those seasons.

26. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

:lol: it's not like they only team up at public sessions for exercise

27. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

If there is going to be a team medal, there is more incentive, but I just don't see this happening unless Mervin is really talented at learning to write in Japanese.

28. easilydistracte

easilydistracte Active Member

I think "extraordinary service to Japan" would probably be more along the lines of volunteering to go into the Daiichi Nuclear Plant to shut down the reactor; or maybe saving the lives of the Crown Prince and his family during a typhoon at his (Mervin's) own great personal risk; or maybe single-handedly thwarting a terrorist attack against the Tokyo subway system and saving tens of thousands of people; or possibly coming up with an elegant and simple solution to Japan's economic woes and saving the country from bankruptcy. Somehow, I don't think skating pairs with a Japanese citizen and competing internationally and winning medals is what the Japanese government had in mind when they wrote the words "extraordinary service to Japan."

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  29. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

:lol:

On top of all those, the person must speak/read/write Japanese fluently!

I think it's much much much much easier for Narumi to become a Canadian citizen than Marvin to become a Japanese citizen. Then again, since they have been representing Japan for last several years, they'll have to sit for a year or two before they start representing Canada, I believe.

Anyway, it's impossible for him to become a Japanese citizen by 2018 or even 2022.

30. rfisher

rfisher At least I still have Pairs to look forward to

If Tran wants to go to the Olympics, I know a lovely US skater who would look very good skating with him. Much easier for him to get US citizenship. :saint: