SkateCast #62: Carol Heiss Jenkins

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, Dec 31, 2012.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I was hoping this would be a "Christmas Carol" :p for everyone, then I got sick over the holidays and couldn't get out of bed. So I'm sorry it's late, but hey, at least I got it done in December!

Here is part one of my interview with Carol Heiss Jenkins. She broke a podcast record and spoke for over two hours! So I split this into two podcasts for the sake of everyone's bandwidth.

The one I'm releasing today is covers through the 1960 Olympics in Squaw Valley. She talks at length about how her (also very accomplished) brother and sister competed with her in the sport, what it was like taking lessons from famous coach Pierre Brunet, how she developed those axels in both directions, and a whole lot more.

Part two will be released in January, and covers her film career, coaching, and thoughts on skating.

Enjoy the interview, and Happy New Year!!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Many thanks - Happy New Year!

3. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Fascinating. Thanks and Happy New Year.

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you!
    CHJ is an amazing person; with an incredible history.
    Bravo, to her.

5. manleywoman

Bumping this up. Carol Heiss I think gets forgotten between Tenley Albright and Peggy Fleming, and she was a formidable skater in her day. I hope more people listen to this podcast. :)

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I haven't had the time due to the holidays, but I certainly will not be missing it. I'm curious if she mentioned that time she supposedly met Sonja Henie, and Sonja said something like, "I hear people saying you are the next Sonja Henie, but there is only one Sonja Henie and that is me."

7. manleywoman

Part 1 of my interview with Carol Heiss Jenkins is now transcribed.

Certain quotes stick out in my mind from all these interviews, and this is one of my favorites from Ms. Heiss-Jenkins:
    I just love the "oh I did the buts, buts, buts, too" part. :lol:

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ That's great ... I really feel re Heiss' admonition: "...the reason you get frustrated is because you can Google anything ... and you can get your answers instantaneously ... I've fallen into the same trap. But I also realize that for anything to be worthwhile, you have to be patient." And ultimately what she's saying is: You have to keep trying. Don't give up.

Everything is so speedy and so right now, and what's new, and what's the latest. I get frustrated when my computer takes a few seconds longer than usual, forgetting how long it used to take in the days of dial-up. I'm just so used to having stuff quickly at my fingertips, and moving quickly through the day, forgetting what it means to slow down a bit and savor, and take the time to be more in alignment with purpose, and to be patient.

9. manleywoman

Part Two is now transcribed. :) This part is her career after winning in 1960: starring in "Snow White and the Three Stooges," becoming a coach, coaching Tim Goebel and his quad, coaching Lisa Ervin and Tonia Kwiatkowski, the superstitions of all the big coaches, and her thoughts on IJS.