SkateCast #61: Norbert Schramm

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, Nov 23, 2012.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I had the fun of interviewing German skater Norbert Schramm while I was in NYC this September. He was the German Men's champion, twice the European Champion and twice the World Silver medalist. He also competed at the 1984 Olympics where apparently his parents were told in advance he was going to place 9th, and sure enough he did. He was an interesting skater in an era of Men's skating where there were a lot of interesting skaters!

It's available for listening now on my website, and *should* be on iTunes as well . . . but I just noticed that a lot of my older podcasts are now listed on iTunes as a mere one second long. Something has gone wrong with the feed. :( If anyone out there knows anything about iTunes and RSS feeds, please contact me to help me figure this out. i really need a producer!

Thanks and enjoy!

2. lulu

lulu New Member

Thank you so much! I'm listening to the podcast right now, and I'm really enjoying it. Norbert was a very unique and creative skater, and I love hearing him discuss his career.

3. care bear

care bear Active Member

Thank you! I can remember him very well.

4. floskate

floskate Vacant

Brilliant! Can't wait to listen to this. Norbert was always one of my favourite male skaters as a young kid. I just remember European audiences going CRAZY for him at every opportunity. He was a total :rockstar:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. manleywoman

I figured you'd be especially interested in this one floskate. ;) Let me know what you think please!

6. floskate

floskate Vacant

Well I always did want to know exactly what went down in Sarejevo and Ottawa and you didn't disappoint! Wow, just...wow! :eek:

7. manleywoman

I know, right?

8. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I had a crush. :shuffle:

Manleywoman, thank you so much. I too always wondered what happened between his silver medal at 1983 Worlds to suddenly being out of favor in 1984.

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Wow!

Rarely has anyone spoken so openly about the "politics of skating"; and the "fixing" of competitions; although most knowledgeable followers of the sport knew that it happened.
    I'm sorry for Norbert, and all the others who were victims of it.

Thank you, Norbert.

10. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Sorry to be so dense, but was Schramm implying that his coaching move to Fassi during the Olympic year caused the German skating federation to dump him and back Rudi Cerne and that's why he was placed 9th?

Thanks for the great interview!

11. manleywoman

Essentially, yes.

12. manleywoman

13. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for your fascinating interview with Norbert Schramm (such a cool human being). Its so wonderful to recall his skating career, have the opportunity to hear from him at this perspective of his life, and have the chance to relive some of his performances on youtube.

I also enjoyed your fantastic interviews with Lucinda Ruh, Kelli Lawrence, Roy Blakey, and Leah Adams (from earlier this year: absolutely love her hilarious SOI "bag" tale). Thanks for all you do manleywoman!