Skatecast #55: Interview with Frances Dafoe

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, Apr 3, 2012.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Just finished uploading my interview with Frances Dafoe. Yet another amazing Canadian skater in a long line of Canadian skaters!

In case you don't know, with her partner Norris Bowdon:
    4 times Canadian Champs in Pairs
    1 time Canadian Champs in Ice Dance
    2 time World Champions
    1956 Olympic Silver medalists . . . in an extremely controversial finish, which we discuss in detail.

She was also an Olympic-level judge and a famous costume designer, designing for Elizabeth Manley and Tollar Cranston's Strawberry Ice, to name a very few.

She's also author of a recent book "Figure Skating and the Arts" and she gave me one to giveaway to a lucky listener. :)

Available on my website and soon in the iTunes Store.

Thanks!

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for another wonderful interview.
    Ms. Dafoe has been an important part of so much skating history.

She paid a considerable price for it, with the backroom "arranging" of results; and the suspension she endured, as well.

3. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

She literally sat right next to me at Canadians in 2009 and I had no idea who she was until someone told me who she was... :shuffle: I was a bit red faced over that but she was also at my hotel and I got a picture with her. The woman is all class and graciousness. I adore her!

4. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I know. I'm still shocked she felt obligated to stay in as she did. And have the patience she did to wait for Norris to get through, plus 16 years of tests, etc.

5. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I still can't get over how the 1956 world pairs judging panel magically grew from seven to nine, thereby giving the Austrians the gold.

If only television coverage, Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic had been around in 1956, we may have had co - champions 46 years earlier.