skatecast #52: Interview with Lucinda Ruh

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, Dec 21, 2011.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Happy holidays! Hope some of you get to listen to this on your commutes home.

Ms. Ruh is a 2-time Swiss National Champion, star of both SOI and COI, and was twice named one of the “25 most influential people in figure skating” by International Figure Skating Magazine. She astounded crowds worldwide with her gifts in spinning as an amateur skater throughout the 1990s, competing in eight World Championships and on the Junior and Senior Grand Prix Circuits. Her spins influenced how spins were judged when IJS was adopted, and in 2003 she became the World Guinness record holder for the longest spin on ice. She is the author of “Frozen Teardrop: The Tragedy and Triumph of Figure Skating’s Queen of Spin.”

We talk about her fascinating life story, how she was never interested in an Olympic Gold medal, and how she came to wear that iconic gold jumpsuit. The interview lasts 1 hour, 5 minutes, 23 seconds.

Interview is on my website or will be available on the iTunes Store (once the bots find it).

She also sent me two copies of her new book "Frozen Teardrop" to give away, so please enter the contest.

Have a great holiday everyone, and enjoy! :rollin:

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Amazing interview!

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  3. AznSkateFan

AznSkateFan New Member

Fascinating interview! Enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing it with us! :)

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  4. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

That was a truly fascinating interview! I never would've imagined the extent of adversity Lucinda had to face.

The accounts of her time in Japan and how isolated she felt were particularly surprising. I had always assumed her time with the Satos was generally a positive one. Judging from her comments, Mr. Sato seemed like almost a non-presence in her skating development.

The utter lack of support from her own federation was just baffling and so unfortunate.

I must say I'm very interested now to read her book. It sounds like it offers a unique perspective on the sport that not many skaters could give.

And really, for someone who revolutionized spinning in skating forever, can the girl at least get one freaking spin named after her? That's the least that can be done considering what she's given to the sport.

Anyway, thanks manleywoman for these podcasts! I must commend you on being a wonderful interviewer! You do such a wonderful job segueing between questions and keeping the flow of the interview going smoothly, and you also seem to really make your guests feel comfortable while being interviewed. It's a pleasure to listen to them. Thanks for your hard work!

5. manleywoman

Seriously. We need to start a movement among the coaches and skaters to get them to start calling it a Lucinda spin.

(personally I think calling it a Ruh spin is easier, but Lucinda herself prefers Lucinda spin)

Awww shucks. Thanks. :)

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What an extraordinary interview.
    Thank you, both.
    Very few of us could have dealt with the challenges she has faced, as well.

This is how I think of Lucinda:

Lucinda Ruh "Black Swan"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zF-p1bOHFM

Debrah and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Considering that 'Ruh' is the German word for 'Rest', I honestly think 'Lucinda Spin' would be better.

8. manleywoman

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Maybe Ruh is quite apropos, since Lucinda seems very much "at rest" when she spins. :)

Thanks manleywoman!

ETA: Lucinda has such a lovely speaking voice, aside from being absolutely gorgeous. I look forward to reading her book. Have you announced who won the giveaway contest yet, manleywoman?

Re her most famous spin, I'd agree that "Lucinda Spin" is a good name for that one, and maybe "Ruh spin" for another one in her repertoire (perhaps one of her inventive laybacks). She would likely have been great at doing pirouettes as a ballerina too. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012