Skate Detroit Webcast? Would you watch

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by mysticchic, Apr 26, 2011.

1. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

This is a fact finding thing. Would you pay to watch the Skate Detroit webcast if there was one? There are some big skaters that come to Skate Detroit every year. For a lot of them this will be the first time to see the new programs.

Would you be interested in live Jr and Sr events with Novice and below archived within 24 hours?

What kind of features would interest you?
    Skaters doing play by play?
    Interviews between events with international skaters?
    What country are you from if your not in the US?
    Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. Mathman

Mathman Active Member

Commentary by Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen. Sideline reporting by Alissa Czisny and Trevor Young. :)

3. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

I'd definitely be interested. The main thing for me would be simply to see the competition--with music, of course. I'd want to hear the skaters' names announced before they skated, but in my experience (even sitting in the rink), it can be hard to understand the names when they are announced. If the skate order could be shown before the event and before each warm-up group, that would be very helpful. Could the camera zoom in on the starting order list used by the announcer?

The best case, obviously, would be to have as many events as possible live, with all novice and above available pretty quickly on demand. I'd probably pony up some $$$ even if nothing was live.

I can take or leave play-by-play. If neutral and competent folks are available to do it, that's fine. Otherwise, I'd prefer no commentary. Interviews during downtime would be nice but not essential.

Seeing the warm-ups would be a plus, but I don't think they are normally filmed by the videographer.

4. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I would definitely watch. :)

5. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

I would also surely watch! :)

6. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Without a doubt! I would love to watch all of the IJS scored events, Juvenile-Senior if possible. Love seeing the rising stars too. :)

7. just wondering

just wondering Member

Very exciting! Any broadcast would be better than none and all of the extras you mentioned would be great. Watching the higher level skaters would be very interesting. Plus it would be fun to spot younger talent at the various levels. Commentary would be nice, but certainly not necessary to enjoy the event, especially during the first production.

I believe the summer comp at Broadmoor does a pay broadcast and a comp in Boston (maybe not Boston, but East) may just be free. Not sure how many subscribers they have but I'm sure the families and friends love them, too.

Please let the people in charge know that potential viewers would be interested in learning more!
    (Don't you usually attend this comp, Mysticchic? Put Mathman in charge of recruiting camera talent. :))

8. Mathman

Mathman Active Member

Roving reporter: Tanith Belbin.

Eye candy: Madison Chock, Ameena Sheihk. :)

9. mysticchic

Yes I do and I work in TV production. It would be pay per view. We are looking at a few options of doing the Jr and Sr live. If we can afford it and there is interest, we can do both rinks live, then archive it. Pretty sure Tanith and Yuka have no compete clauses. But there are others we have talked to that might be interested in doing a roving reporter/PBP. BTW I saw Madison and Zach and Jermey today. All looked great!
    The reason I am looking for interest other then the US is we can chose regions. Thanks for all the feedback! Keep it coming!

10. mysticchic

Also Broodmore charges 25.00 for the week of access.

11. Rainbow

Rainbow Active Member

Germany would be interested in watching :)

12. Mathman

Mathman Active Member

I don't suppose it is realistic to try to work up a deal to show it on TV locally? Bring in Chrysler as a sponsor...

The Detroit Free Press, with Jo-ann Barnas, is one of the few newspapers in the country that covers figure skating as a serious sport. It could fly.

13. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

Definitely would be interested! And would gladly pay a fee to do so...
    Love your idea, mathman, of getting a sponsorship. Doesn't Chrysler have an ad out w/Alissa Czisny? Maybe they would be interested as it is right in their backyard...

14. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I have a better idea!!!!

Show it FREE on TV.

15. Mathman

Mathman Active Member

As I understand it, Chrysler just wanted to get some shots of "typical Detroit" for their Super Bowl ad staring Eminem. One of the sights of downtown Detroit is a popular free outdoor skating rink. So they called up a local talent agency and said, "you got a pretty lady skater who can spin?"

This agency just happened to have Alissa as a client. :)

Shortly after shooting, Alissa went out and won the Grand Prix Final and U.S. Nationals, so Chrysler stared showing slightly different versions of the ad that had a little more Alissa in them. Now the latest news (posted by Sylvia on another thread) is that Chrysler is auditioning other skaters at the Detroit Skating Club for future ads.

So who knows? :cool:

16. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Yes I would love to see Skate Detroit..count me in!

By the way, are Madison Hubbell and Zach Donahue really skating together?
    If so how did they look?;) Glad to know that Jeremy looks great also.

17. mysticchic

It can't be free. Wish it could unless some kind person has a person who would sponsor it. The crew, equipment and internet cost money.
    If someone knows of a company willing to put up bandwidth and cover the cost of a crew, there would be advertising available to them, we might be able to do it free then. Also there is hope of some profits going towards skater scholarships.
    We will be talking to companies about doing this. If anyone has a lead let me know.
    Madison and Zach looked great!

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I would love to see this!

19. toronto_skater

toronto_skater New Member

This Canadian would pay to watch! I'm mostly interested in watching the skating itself (this idea about start orders is great too). The more levels you can show, the more interested, I would be (doesn't have to be live for all levels).

20. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I would pay to watch it- but within realistic limits- $10, maybe $15, but not $25. Same goes for Liberty.
    I'd like live skating- I prefer no commentary. In- between features would be great, but would not be a deal breaker.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  21. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

Any more insight as to whether this is a possibility, mysticchic? I have spoken to several friends who also stated they would definitely interested. I think if everyone interested would spread the news to others, it just might happen!! How much time would you need before the event to set it up?

22. sk8dad11

sk8dad11 New Member

Is Skate Detroit going to be webcast? I watched the Broadmoor this year by Wheat Designs. They webcast the main rink live and the other rink was available before the end of the day. Most of the events that were live were available within 15 minutes of the event ending.

They did have Skate Detriot on their webcast but it is not now, do you know if this year's Skate Detroit will be webcast?

23. jlai

jlai Title-less

I'm willing to pay about what I paid Wheatdesigns. Summer competition coverage is very hard to come by, and with no other competition to watch, anything is welcome. :)

24. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I still see "2012 Broadmoor/Detroit series" listed on my membership page.

25. mysticchic

From what I understand they are trying to work things out to webcast.

26. sk8dad11

sk8dad11 New Member

Do we know what they are working out? Is there a problem with the rink or the video company? I heard this year they had problems with the internet connections in the World Arena.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I've sent an inquiry to Wheat Designs and will post if I receive a response I can share. I didn't notice any major problems with the Broadmoor Open webcast this year and they've always provided good customer service to me.

28. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I expect to be refunded for half of the Broadmoor/Detroit series I paid for...:shuffle:

I hope it works out, though.

29. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I would watch :)

30. Arianne

Arianne New Member

Does anyone know which skaters are confirmed for Skate Detroit? I will be watching in person!