Skate Canada's international selection criteria for Senior B & JGP assignments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

That's probably because she is last year's national champion and still does not have a Worlds qualifying score (SP TES =28, FS TES=48). Here are LaCoste's TES scores from last season's events.

Worlds (16th) SP 25.80, FS 44.89
    4C (7th) SP 25.84, FS 43.84
    Skate Canada (7th) SP 26.71, FS 43.22
    Rostlecom (8th) SP 25.03, FS 46.98
    World Team Trophy SP 23.72 FS 45-05

In each case she was at least one big error from achieving the Worlds qualifying score. She does also have one GP assignment this fall (Canada) but I guess they figure she needs as many tries as she can get to lay down a clean SP and reasonably clean FS.

On the one hand, last year's consistently weak performances make one think "why bother?" On the other hand, the next ranked Canadian lady is Phaneuf and she not only needs a qualifying score but will miss the entire fall season recovering from surgery.

2. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm actually a bit surprised that Skate Canada hasn't discarded Lacoste, too. But I guess that most of the younger ladies are still developing and Osmond still doesn't have a long track record. If anything happened to Osmond or if she starts becoming a head case, SC could be stuck without anyone meeting the minimum score for Worlds if they stuck all their eggs in one basket.

On reflection, I wish that SC had decided to use the second spot in SLC for Osmond. She really needs the points after not getting any fall assignments last year and I don't think that helping Lacoste get a better start order at Skate Canada is a good enough reason to keep Osmond at home.

3. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

I found one of Charbonneau's program's from this summer.

Skate Detroit LP

Sorry the other links were actually from 2011, though they had 2012 in the title...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

If this is her Skate Detroit initial round FS in late July, she scored 72.90. Charbonneau improved her Final round FS score to 91.63 (finishing 4th behind Hannah Miller, Gracie Gold, and Kaetlyn Osmond).

Yes, it's confusing - 2012 Minnesota State Championships took place in August 2011.
    ETA: The official results for the recent 2013 Minnesota State Championships have been published online and Kate Charbonneau scored a total of 122.16. chipso1 had posted in the U.S. Club Competitions thread in Kiss and Cry that Charbonneau scored "49-point-something" in her SP (her Skate Detroit SP score was 41.14) and "120 something [total]... so her FS score was somewhere between 70-80 points."

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  5. Sylvia

Sandrine MARTIN (N5 at 2012 Canadians) and Kitty QIAN (qualified for Canadians in Senior but WD) are the 2 new ladies' alternates listed for JGP #5 in Slovenia on the ISU site (link is posted in the JGP Entries thread in Kiss and Cry).

Martin competed at Liberty in July and scored 119.84 total to win Junior Ladies Group A. She then placed 3rd in the FS Final with a score of 77.70 and landed a 3F and two 3S. At the Québec Summer Championships in August, Martine edged Julianne Séguin (77.10 to 73.75) in the Junior FS Groupe 2 - here's Martine's winning performance to Liszt's "Liebestraum" (4 triples including a 3T that she doubled in her Liberty FS Final): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24662291

Here are Kitty Qian's Senior programs from BC SummerSkate:
    SP (48.68): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24761695
    FS (89.62): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24787627

6. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

2013 Minnesota State Championship results are finally online, and Kate Charbonneau had a total score of 127.16 to win the senior ladies event.

(All IJS results from MN State)

7. danafan

That's very close to the 130 benchmark. I wonder if she'll get Skate Canada.

8. Sylvia

Charbonneau scored 132.77 at Skate Detroit if her higher FS Final round score is counted (41.14 SP + 91.63 FS Final). I wonder if Finlandia Trophy is an option for her?

9. danafan

I just hope they give our senior women a shot. I know it's fun to make fun of the Canadian women's skaters, but you can't get better if you don't get a chance to compete.

I think Skate Canada has made good choices with our JGP assignments for the women.

Are there any other club competitions the Canadians might be entering?

10. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I agree they should provide opportunities especially to those senior who are still developing and improving like Charbonneau..

11. Sylvia

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If that's the case, she's the only Senior Lady besides Osmond who met the Senior B requirements, since Lacoste only skated one phase of a summer comp.

13. hohoho

hohoho Member

I am thinking the front runner right now is Charbonneau. Close second would be Desanctis. Maybe they are waiting for the High Performance camp next week to decide. They may be holding out hope for Samson. or perhaps Najarro is ready.

14. hohoho

hohoho Member

Seguin has been assigned to a 2nd JGP in Slovenia. She did skate well in France. Hopefully she can fix the few mistakes and pick up her speed. Good "go for it" attitude.

15. Sylvia

16. hohoho

hohoho Member

17. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I hope someone else gets the chance, hopefully Kitty Qian, she was great at BC Summer Skate while Seguin was less than impressive at her JGP.

18. hohoho

hohoho Member

Kitty is so "hit and miss". Seems like for her if there is any pressure she crumbles. 3 years ago in Junior she had a huge lead after the short program and had a disasterous long to fall way down i nthe standings. 2 years ago she managed to keep it together in Victoria. Last year she didn;t even make it past Challenge. Not much competition for her at BC Summerskate this year. Skating at home with no pressure. I really don;t think she would be a good choice for JGP, especially without a 3Lz or 3F.

19. Sylvia

Kitty Qian reportedly suffered a concussion in a collision with Kate Charbonneau (who sprained her back) in the warm-up before the FS at Challenge last December. That's why I assume Qian could not go to Canadians as the 1st alternate and Christina Yan (who placed behind Qian at Challenge) went instead. Speaking of Yan (14th in Senior at Canadians), she trained this summer in Colorado Springs and competed in a couple of U.S. club competitions (her high total score was 123.03 at Broadmoor Open in June), landing some clean 3S and 3T and attempting 3F (not quite there yet).

That what I was wondering because USFS normally submits "placeholder" names and later finalizes the assignments after results from the skaters' 1st JGP competitions are known. I believe entries/substitutes had to be submitted for Slovenia before the conclusion of the JGP in Courchevel.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  20. hohoho

hohoho Member

With the entry list for the SLC Senior B posted, where would you expect Lacoste to place?

I guess similar with Nebelhorn, where would you expect Osmond to place.

Assume of course that both skate the way they have been. Is it realistic to expect top 5?

21. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I think they could place top five - they certainly both have the ability :D

22. hohoho

hohoho Member

Any possibility of a podium for either Lacoste or Osmond at their respective Senior B?

Just wish Lacoste had of done a short program at Quebec, instead of first time out being Salt Lake City.

23. JanetB

JanetB Well-Known Member

Here are the top 5 from last year Nebelhorn

Mirai Nagasu 167.46
    Elene Gedevanishvili 146.92
    Joshi Helgesson 138.73
    Shion Kokubun 134.66
    Viktoria Helgesson 133.52

At Junior World's Kaetlyn Osmond scored 146.25 and at her summer competitions she scored 141.72 and 149.49 so yes I think she has a chance for a medal but I think the most likely medalist are Polina Shelepen, Adelina Sotnikova and Caroline Zhang.

Amelie Lacoste her last year’s results Senior Worlds 138.60 and Four Continents 147.65 but I could not find a full entry list but the best would be bronze since gold and silver I think will go to the American ladies.

24. hohoho

hohoho Member

Osmond did beat Shelepen in the short program at Junior Worlds without the 3Lz. Shelepen did beat her in the long program, but Osmond have plenty of mistakes there. I am thinking Osmond could be right there in the podium hunt.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Osmond was one of maybe two dozen women to meet the new, strict TES minimum at either Worlds last season, and she did it at Juniors, with one less element and a shorter program. If she builds on last season, she has a good shot at top five.

26. JanetB

JanetB Well-Known Member

I'm being pessimistic so I can be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

27. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Yes, but Shelepen singled the lutz and had a mistake on the axel.

28. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I actually think Seguin was fairly impressive. At least in the SP. At least she's going for and rotating the difficult triples.

I'd rather have Skate Canada send a girl like Seguin who at least has a 3lutz and 3flip than a girl like Qian who does not even attempt either jump.

Last time I saw Qian her presentation was weak. Has she improved this area of her skating?

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Qian's presentation at BC Summerskate was lovely. I don't remember seeing her before, and I was quite taken with her, which has happened with maybe four Canadian Ladies starting with Karen Magnussen.

30. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member